Jack Frost

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Thank you.

Hells teeth you must be old I'm 70 and used C all the way through school and we went metric in 74 so only the years between training and 74 (6) where I used F.

40 years ago we had our first frost in early September so not historically early for me.

I am only 60 and only used Fahrenheit at school and technical college. Find it easier to measure cold in Celsius and hot in Fahrenheit

I am only 60 and only used Fahrenheit at school and technical college. Find it easier to measure cold in Celsius and hot in Fahrenheit

I think your school was behind the times. I'm 61 and while Fahrenheit did get mentioned, all the science at grammar school was in Celsius.

What is this ice stuff of which you speak? Haven't seen any of it yet this autumn down south.

All schools and text books went metric in 1968 as I recall. The inch was originally 25 .3995 millimetres but is now defined as EXACTLY 25.4 mm. This means that metric lathes can turn Imperial threads and vice versa by means of change wheels in the gearbox. A ratio of 25.4 to 1 is achieved with gearwheels of 127 teeth and 100 teeth plus the normal speed ratiod already available.

To help answer the OP's question, apart from waiting for a better day's weather, another way to reduce ice damage would be to move the boat in the afternoon rather than the morning, because the ice may be thinner then due to the warmer daytime temperature taking effect.

Or wait for another boat to pass going in the same direction, breaking ice for you, and follow them!

Went to a bi-lateral school, an early form of comprehensive. Did use metric length and weight at college but AFAIR we still used Fahrenheit.

Our science was definitely all taught with temperatures in Celsius right from when I started grammar school in 1966. I wonder whether someone (either at government or local authority level) decided that the grammar schools should change over first? Or maybe it was just down to individual schools? Based on our small sample here, there certainly appears to have been some variation.

Our science was definitely all taught with temperatures in Celsius right from when I started grammar school in 1966. I wonder whether someone (either at government or local authority level) decided that the grammar schools should change over first? Or maybe it was just down to individual schools? Based on our small sample here, there certainly appears to have been some variation.

Can't help I left school many years before 1966, I was working then and had been for lol years

Does the team think it's bad form to navigate when the cut is frozen over? Perhaps it's OK when the ice is thin. Where do you draw the line. I'm sure the moaners don't complain about the fuel boats!

Breaking ice might strip the blacking off the moving boat but won't affect moored boats it passes.

Yes it does damage your blacking.

And you might get people shouting at you that you are damaging theirs by pushing sheets of ice about. (And also potentially puncturing GRP boats)

But....................................

Its great fun and the breaking ice makes a wonderful noise

I could be a potential shouter. Lol

Then again i respect working boats that need to move to help us all.

I dont fèel comfortable saying where i live. (I am paranoid) but mean well.

No you are not paranoid just careful of your safety which is perfectly OK

All schools and text books went metric in 1968 as I recall. The inch was originally 25 .3995 millimetres but is now defined as EXACTLY 25.4 mm. This means that metric lathes can turn Imperial threads and vice versa by means of change wheels in the gearbox. A ratio of 25.4 to 1 is achieved with gearwheels of 127 teeth and 100 teeth plus the normal speed ratiod already available.

What the hell has this got to do with frost, and wtf is ratiod?

are you saying I'm telling porkies?

i can assure you I'm not. it was bloody cold at half seven.

lol Not unless they are Melton Mowbrays.

I have a feeling about this winter and was just wondering if others had any thoughts. We don't seem to have had a bad winter since I think it was 2010. Like that year the temperature is lower than what seems to have become normal over the last few years and to here of frozen canals this early in the year is going back to 2010 IIRC. The jet stream also seems to be playing around a bit too.

lol Not unless they are Melton Mowbrays.

I have a feeling about this winter and was just wondering if others had any thoughts. We don't seem to have had a bad winter since I think it was 2010. Like that year the temperature is lower than what seems to have become normal over the last few years and to here of frozen canals this early in the year is going back to 2010 IIRC. The jet stream also seems to be playing around a bit too.

Great Haywood marina was frozen solid by now in 2010. This year has been very mild so far, haven't even had to put a vest on yet.

I use the Met Office site, they've had a lot of practice at it....

Great Haywood marina was frozen solid by now in 2010. This year has been very mild so far, haven't even had to put a vest on yet.

I use the Met Office site, they've had a lot of practice at it....

:) The other year the Met Office said it would be bad and it was nice and mild. The atmosphere does its own thing and just laughs at us

Fully understand, however you may be worrying too much. After all Junior posted pictures of my house & boat on here and nothing happened, well nothing apart from MissMax threatening to remove my kidneys ?

Edited for tryping.

Edited by cuthound

The Macc near Bosley was frozen yesterday. A bit more than cat ice but no more than a couple of mm. The areas with trees on one side weren't frozen, the tress must insulate it to some extent.

The Oxford is quite tropical again this morning, we have barely seen frost so far this autumn let alone ice.

Tim

I don't think it's paranoid for a woman living on her own to avoid publicising her location, just prudent.

Like they say, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

The Oxford is quite tropical again this morning, we have barely seen frost so far this autumn let alone ice.

Tim

Same here on the Fossdyke.

In the winter of 2010 our marina was frozen quite badly by now and didn't defrost until the end of January.

So far this winter we have only had a couple of frosts and the water is still reasonably tepid.