Heard on the cut

Ray T

Featured Posts

Jeez, we have TWO peeps here living in 1972...!!!

Your garage is private space, the road is public. The net effect of my 2 alternatives is the same, in that in both an individual is occupying public space. But one is more acceptable than the other.

I understand that in some American cities the authorities require that your garage remains available for storing your car (or cars in America where all the 16 year olds drive), so some junk addicts have resorted to buying old pantechnicons which they park in the road to store stuff - apparently its cheap to licence and insure them, and they only need to be moved once a year for the annual registration.

So why is it socially acceptable to fill your garage with half your worldly goods, and then park your car in the road? Do you think the Council would let you keep your car in the garage and pile your junk in the road?

Thought of the day! Greeno awarded.

I understand that in some American cities the authorities require that your garage remains available for storing your car (or cars in America where all the 16 year olds drive), so some junk addicts have resorted to buying old pantechnicons which they park in the road to store stuff - apparently its cheap to licence and insure them, and they only need to be moved once a year for the annual registration.

How very pleasant to read the word "pantechnicon" which I haven't seen or heard for some time.

• Greenie 1

I drive our boat with more confidence than I drive the car , incidentally I have an automatic transmission licence for the car and i wont drive on motorways . Yes my confidence level , as far as driving a car goes, is a bit vague . Not so on our boat, no problem , but it did take me 3 years to hijack the tiller . Now I rarely lock (damaged myself on the Grand Union locks and had an operation to mend me) I miss locking, can get a bit lonely, stuck on the back at locks . I am particularly good at reversing the boat , wrote a car off once reversing it , but I was pregnant at the time .. and that's not happening again.!! Bunny

Edited by Bunny

So why is it socially acceptable to fill your garage with half your worldly goods, and then park your car in the road? Do you think the Council would let you keep your car in the garage and pile your junk in the road?

the fact is that it is 'socially acceptable' merely because society tolerates it.

it amazes me that people who routinely leave their car parked on the road outside their house have not had to pay rent to the council for the privilege, whether they have a garage or not.

roll on residents' parking schemes where they do have to pay.

............... and while we are on the subject, I was walking my dogs the other day and a woman had parked her mini so it was totally blocking the pavement on a road used as an access onto the local dual carriageway. When I complained that it was an offence to obstruct the pavement, she told me she had the right to do anything she liked on the pavement outside her own house. frusty.giffrusty.gif

PS: why do we call the sidewalk/footpath a pavement? In civil engineering terms the 'pavement' is the paved area provided for any type of traffic, which includes a motorway or an airport runway.

Edited by Murflynn

PS: why do we call the sidewalk/footpath a pavement? In civil engineering terms the 'pavement' is the paved area provided for any type of traffic, which includes a motorway or an airport runway.

I have always assumed it dates from the time when the footway was paved, but the carriageway was not.

OMG here's another thing were our dear lovely Mr Athy charmingly thinks it is still 1972. Who here regularly parks their car in the garage? 99.9999% of garages in the homes of my customers are used for anything BUT parking the car!

I park my car in the garage, OH parks his car in the garage, daughter has to park next to the garage.

This is hard to understand. Do they habitually crash the car into the end wall of the garage at home? Probably not. So why should judging the length of a lock be any different?

I can't judge the length of our car at the front, nothing in view beyond the front wiper. could be 2 foot could be 10 foot. I would rather back it in.

Where I see a man glued to the tiller on locks while his lady dashes around the locks i just don't understand. When I'm steering and my lovely lady is locking, I'm on and off the boat all the time, joining in with the lock work. How boring must it be just to stand there looking like one o'clock half struck all the time!?

I do the same

Some people do it where they moor their boats

Sat on the boat at Saul Junction (G&S canal) having a beer when a large ocean going gin palace came slowly by, shrill voice from small boy to his dad whilst look down on the line of moored narrowboats "are these the poor peoples boats?"

Sat on the boat at Saul Junction (G&S canal) having a beer when a large ocean going gin palace came slowly by, shrill voice from small boy to his dad whilst look down on the line of moored narrowboats "are these the poor peoples boats?"

Love it! Reminds me of being on the Thames with a pint mug of tea in my hand, and a flat cap on, as I leaned on the tiller and passed some Gin Palaces. Think they were drinking Bucks Fizz or similar. How the other half live :)

I have bought a freehold garage and in the deeds it states it must be used for parking a car. Not to used for storage. Stroud Glos.

I have bought a freehold garage and in the deeds it states it must be used for parking a car. Not to used for storage. Stroud Glos.

Ahh well That's Stroud. Still 1970. Up here near Hereford we've (almost) made it to the '80s. icecream.gif I wish I had a garage. I have to keep my junk in the van.

I am accustomed to being ushered into wide locks first, usually by male steerers.

Of course it is easier to go into the lock last!

Val

Disagree, if both boats have competent steerers, far easier to enter the lock together - going in one at a time involves the crew of the first one in having to get the boat under control and held against the lock wall, before the second boat can enter. Go in together, and no such problem arises. Saves an awful lot of time on a flight of double locks.

Three years ago I drove down to the marina where we keep the boat in a scalpel sharp sports car. I loaded that boat and went away for two months. Setting off, I was banging locks, drifting where the wind, any currents, and wash from other boats carried me.

Two months later I reversed back into the marina, unaffected by external factors steering to within an inch of where I wanted to go. I moored the boat barely nudging the jetty. I got off the boat, into the car which, braking aside, seemed awfully vague! (Tyres were fine before you ask!)

So it's a matter of what you are used to........

'I drove down to the marina where we keep the boat in a scalpel sharp sports car'. Do you have a very small boat or a very large sports car? :-)

Disagree, if both boats have competent steerers, far easier to enter the lock together - going in one at a time involves the crew of the first one in having to get the boat under control and held against the lock wall, before the second boat can enter. Go in together, and no such problem arises. Saves an awful lot of time on a flight of double locks.

That's why the second boat needs to be about 20' behind the first boat, to be in and alongside before their reversing pushes it away from the lockside.

You'll save even more time if you breast the boats up so you only need one steerer, freeing up the other to help lock work or set ahead.

While sound rather daft to say why not open both gates, on some stop locks that is indeed possible. Not so much with the Hall Green one as the difference is too large.

Which ones are possible? Not many much less than Hall green?

'I drove down to the marina where we keep the boat in a scalpel sharp sports car'. Do you have a very small boat or a very large sports car? :-)

Generally only needs one competent steerer - who can maintain station even if the other drifts across. If they go too far to their own side then, unless it is so bad that they bounce off the lock entrance, all you need to do is to get them to keep close to you. In my experience you only have to persuade someone to do it once for them to see the benefits, which are considerable.

No, he withdraws to it.

(Once he has finished his port -- I presume Mrs A is already there).

Oddly enough we have never called it the drawing room, even though our house is Edwardian so I guess the term would be period-appropriate.

One he has finished the washing up, more like!

That's why the second boat needs to be about 20' behind the first boat, to be in and alongside before their reversing pushes it away from the lockside.

You'll save even more time if you breast the boats up so you only need one steerer, freeing up the other to help lock work or set ahead.

By far the best way of taking two NB's through wide locks. Sadly many are frightened to do this for some reason.