And more!

bigcol

Featured Posts

Anybody know what the proscribed penalty for non-display is?

I know that breaking the bylaws is a criminal offence.

Bod

Without digging out the acts I believe that over the years the penalty has risen to £100.

The thing to remember is that apparently every new day becomes a new offence so the amount can soon 'rack-up' at the rate of £100 per day.

With the capers being cut, mentioned in other threads, I wouldn't bank on, a total non-action policy being adhered to.

For the sake of a bit of paper being displayed.

Bod

Edited by Bod

For various reasons, the amount of time that we will be able to spend cruising on CRT waters next year is looking to be a bit limited, so I've just bought a 30-day "Explorer" licence as I reckon that it will be just about right.

I was a bit surprised to find that CRT do not issue an actual licence in any form.

The only proof that you have a licence is the e-mail that they send to acknowledge receipt of your payment. There's nothing that you can display.

Helpfully, they do send a PDF sheet that you can print out, with the boat's name and 30 squares to record your usage, but it's not compulsory to fill it out, and it's not a licence.

It's going to be fun this Bank Holiday as we are off to the Costa del Glosta and Sharpness with no visible licence.

I was very interested to note when I was sent my licence that it was in MS Word. It would have taken me roughly 3 seconds to doctor it to represent the boat name and date of my choice

Not that I would being a law abiding citizen...

Don't have printer don't have uk address by the time I get home to pick up this years licence and back its next year!!!! Index painted on bow never had any comments. Do have copy on phone which I display if required.

Do you have a bank account or driving licence?

Well some on here are fond of criticising CRT for making up laws for themselves so yes, I'd say this is quite possible.

The interesting thing is CRT's new made up 'law' that licence discs no longer need be displayed seems to have been easily accepted without objection by lots of boaters...

You only accept the bits you like

Where are we then please, still not sure

Is it a offence to not to display your license?

Col

As CRT (in exchange for some money) have recently given me permission in writing to take my boat onto their waters and have categorically stated that they will not issue me with a licence in any form that can be displayed, it seems clear that it is not an offence not to display your licence.

In the opinion of CRT, that is.

As CRT (in exchange for some money) have recently given me permission in writing to take my boat onto their waters and have categorically stated that they will not issue me with a licence in any form that can be displayed, it seems clear that it is not an offence not to display your licence.

In the opinion of CRT, that is.

But still is in law or so it appears.

As somebody said much earlier it is an offence but CRT aren't going to make a fuss about it (or words to that effect).

Favouritism!

They have told me that I must have both the "disks" and a larger "index number" plate displayed. The fact that the index number is on the licence "disks" isn't good enough for them.

On the other hand, when you do order up a set of index plates they take many months to deliver them, so perhaps they don't think they are that important?

Did you ask Alan, or did they just come along and insist? In the 19 years that we have had Helvetia. we have never displayed official index number plates, Instead we have had the number painted above the back panel, No one has ever challenged it.

MerryHill03b_zps26ce391f.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

But still is in law or so it appears.

As somebody said much earlier it is an offence but CRT aren't going to make a fuss about it (or words to that effect).

Unless your name is Alan Fincher, It seems...

Don't the regs just say the number has to be displayed readable from a set distance with no reference to how it is displayed? At least that is what I have always thought they said.

I don't think that there is an "official plate" in the same way as car numberplates are specified.

The metal plates are for poor people who can't afford fancy signwriting.

(Good job I read that before posting. My spell checker changed "fancy" to "fanny", which conjured up all sorts of strange images in my head)

Edited by PaulG

(Good job I read that before posting. My spell checker changed "fancy" to "fanny", which conjured up all sorts of strange images in my head)

It also depends whether that's from an American or British perspective.