canal holiday traffic!!! why dont holiday company,s put speed limiter

colin1325

Featured Posts

I think some people shout at hire boats as a matter of course no matter what speed they are doing.

True. For example, a few weeks ago we spoke to a guy on the Shroppie who has owned a narrowboat for some 30 years. He hired a (bigger) boat this year to take some kids on a holiday. He could not believe the difference in attitude directed towards him from other boat owners, compared to when he was aboard his own private boat.

It doesn't mean its impossible to measure it accurately - there's plenty of mobile phone apps which will do so (and I know that loads of speedo apps don't measure walking-pace speeds accurately - some do though).

Agree. I bunged a walking app one on my Iphone which does seem reasonably accurate compared to some others I have tried (I timed over a measured distance and it compared favourably; I was bored at the time...) Overall they are not needed and common sense should dictate an appropriate speed. That said, the way some people moor their boats, one could never pass slowly enough! These are the ones who often shout abuse, and generally have kids aboard playing with boiling water.

I know some hire companies tell hirers to slow down past moored boats but……….if you have never driven a boat before, how do you know what slow means ? I prefer the instruction to travel at tick over.

I know some hire companies tell hirers to slow down past moored boats but……….if you have never driven a boat before, how do you know what slow means ? I prefer the instruction to travel at tick over.

I don't. Tickover on an under-propped hire boat is nearly stationary and if we are following it will mean going into neutral for most of the time whilst watching the hire boat bouncing of the moored boats due to a lack of steering.

How does increasing tickover speed save alternators?

Top Cat

Alternators rely on cooling fans, which are less effective at very low revs, particularly if the batteries are flat every morning and the alternator has to work hard for a long period of time.

That said, the way some people moor their boats, one could never pass slowly enough! These are the ones who often shout abuse, and generally have kids aboard playing with boiling water.

clapping.gif

...or out on the road playing with the traffic?

Apart from the drunken idiots I find I can be pretty laid back about speeding hire boats. However when I am trying to hold the boat clear of the Shropie shelf when moored and a two "historic" boats from the Audlam function storm past without even attempting to slow down I get very upset. They were not even coal boats that MIGHT have to be somewhere the next day so it could be understood.

holiday traffic!!!

why dont holiday company,s put speed limiters on all their narrow boats as per 50 cc bikes to save loads of hassle

it should be law as it would protect our canals banksides colin

Personaly I always pass all stationary boats at dead tickover unless a very strong sidewind dictates otherwise however many boats there are in the line, life is too short to hurry to the end. Most people who speed past me are privately owned boats and not hirers. I do think though that many people moor their boats very badly so they slop around when any boat passes whatever speed they are doing.

Tim

• Greenie 3

Have you noticed however that a lot of the boats that come blasting past (often in the late evening), presumably in a rush to get to the water point/elsan/whatever aren't hire boats but have those irritating stick on notices 'Pass on Tickover' (which aren't stuck on hire boats, that's how I know it's not a hire boat!). This is fine but presumably doesn't apply to the owners mad.gif

The Broads Authority are considering requiring boats on the Norfolk Broads to be fitted with them

Quite a different situation there as there are loads of different limits on different parts of the broads, you are constantly changing for 4mph to 5mph to 6mph.

Great to see how many replies to this post are saying don't judge people by their boats! I agree entirely.

True. For example, a few weeks ago we spoke to a guy on the Shroppie who has owned a narrowboat for some 30 years. He hired a (bigger) boat this year to take some kids on a holiday. He could not believe the difference in attitude directed towards him from other boat owners, compared to when he was aboard his own private boat.

Having boated commercially & Hotel boated for a number of years i was asked by a friend to give him a hand to get a boat he had just purchased back to his home mooring he has also owned a boat before & had 6 or more years of experience the boat was an ex hire boat still in it's hire livery The abuse we got was mind stopping with remarks like"half a days experience then" & "Silverstone's that way' + the usual bad language; He repainted it & at that time had an offer on it & saw another boat he liked so I was roped in to deliver the boat to it's new owners, Same boat except paint scheme,same steerer boating in the same manner & not a word from any moored boats & a good few were the same boats being passed in the opposite direction Just assuming on a boats paint & lettering the experience or competence of the crew is not a good thing?

• Greenie 1

Just repeating what others have already said but in my experience it's more often ingnorant/inexperienced owner boaters rather than hire boaters who pass moored boats too fast.

In many cases the hire boaters may have far more boating experience than a lot of boat owners.

I like to think that we treat all fellow boaters with the same respect be they hirers or owners.

• Greenie 2

I once had to be held back (''im indoors holding firmly on to my waistband) when a portly, captains hat wearing, shiny boater loudly stated " oh god, here we go, a hirer and a woman to boot, keep away from my paintwork dear".

He was lucky really as I couldn't get to him and husband was to busy restraining me to be a danger!

It was his dangly bits that would have suffered not his paintwork though.

Edited for missing comma

Edited by Dyertribe
  • Greenie 1

I once had to be held back (''im indoors holding firmly on to my waistband) when a portly, captains hat wearing, shiny boater loudly stated " oh god, here we go, a hirer and a woman to boot, keep away from my paintwork dear".

He was lucky really as I couldn't get to him and husband was to busy restraining me to be a danger!

It was his dangly bits that would have suffered not his paintwork though.

Edited for missing comma

I can't understand why you wanted to attack his fenders! I presume from your description of the boat there were several dangling from all round the boat.

It doesn't mean its impossible to measure it accurately - there's plenty of mobile phone apps which will do so (and I know that loads of speedo apps don't measure walking-pace speeds accurately - some do though).

Do you know of any Android apps that will display narrowboat speed accurately? I've tried loads and none gave a steady number. Please let me know here or PM. Many thanks!

Do you know of any Android apps that will display narrowboat speed accurately? I've tried loads and none gave a steady number. Please let me know here or PM. Many thanks!

It depends on what you consider accurate, I've been using Ulysse ( free from playstore) it gives one decimal place on speed but does not giveca steady read out, it does have a rolling average which is more believable. I think any GPS speedo is going to exhibit variability at low speed and with lots of turns.

Top Cat

I use "My Tracks" (its a Google piece of software) but I'm not sure if its still available (just checked, its deprecated but still works on my phone). The speed on there is offered as both an instantaneous speed and one averaged over an interval you can choose, eg 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins etc. I am sure there are loads of others which do a similar thing out there.

Been up since 6 and every boat that as passed as been a private (young and old steers /shiny boats and old ones) and not one as slowed down... Doesn't bother me but it seems that attitude is now becoming 'well nobody slows down to pass me so why should I'. If it's windy I can see the need to go a bit faster but the rest of the time what's the rush for

It depends on what you consider accurate, I've been using Ulysse ( free from playstore) it gives one decimal place on speed but does not giveca steady read out, it does have a rolling average which is more believable. I think any GPS speedo is going to exhibit variability at low speed and with lots of turns.

Top Cat

I too use Ullyse. It is fairly steady, and shows the boat slowing slightly through bridgeholes and shallow bits.

• 4 weeks later...

Just repeating what others have already said but in my experience it's more often ingnorant/inexperienced owner boaters rather than hire boaters who pass moored boats too fast.

In many cases the hire boaters may have far more boating experience than a lot of boat owners.

I like to think that we treat all fellow boaters with the same respect be they hirers or owners.