* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Following this thread with a passion.

We are presently at Woodlesford on the Aire & Calder. You never know?? We are scrutinising every boat we see. Not very many as it happens which makes life easier.

We have during the past 2/3 weeks cone down from Ripon,through York, Selby and to here. Not seen the boat. However we didn't look in marinas and the like.

It has to be somewhere. Obvious.

All boat passages through Stanground lock are recorded by the lock keeper, a quick call to the MLC may help, the number of boats through in the last few weeks will be in 10's not 100's

the same applies at Salters Lode and Denver, Boat name and registration are taken by both lockies

But do they then run that through any computer system or have anyway of verify that the name and or number on the boat is definitely the boat in front of them?

Is it possible they gave it the same number as the look alike one that was dismissed as a similar boat and in the area but not the stolen one. Seems quite a coincidence that an identical one was in the area. I don't mean that the one verified was on a false number but if both boats were showing the same number it would be easy to dismiss both without realising it.

But do they then run that through any computer system or have anyway of verify that the name and or number on the boat is definitely the boat in front of them?

The name and reg number is recorded and the data used to see how busy year on year it is.

I'm sure as a EA visitors or CART gold licence is required on the Nene any false info will soon flag up.

I doubt it's here BTW.

Edited by gazza

Is it possible they gave it the same number as the look alike one that was dismissed as a similar boat and in the area but not the stolen one. Seems quite a coincidence that an identical one was in the area. I don't mean that the one verified was on a false number but if both boats were showing the same number it would be easy to dismiss both without realising it.

I had begun to think the exact same thought.

I should have thought it would be merely the index number with perhaps the name/colour/length ...... (hull material?) against any flags for licence in force or overstaying.

However if the checker is looking at a boat that is apparently licensed, but a different colour/name or could be 60ft not 55/50ft I would respectfully suggest the most important criteria has been met for the checker and the job they're being paid to do.

I may well be 100% wrong.

I think if they reported and followed up on every boat that didn't exactly match what their records said they would mainly find ....

*Recently sold and renamed

* Repainted

* Lengthened

* Or as was recently discussed elsewhere "Widened"

How quickly do you think changing such details on the records occurs?

I bet it's more of a catch up job for those who have spare time after doing their main job.

We have cruised the Staffs & Worcs today from Gailey to Tixall Wide. We also checked Otherton Boat Haven, Teddesley Boat Company, and the Staffordshire Boat Club marina by bridge 96. Still no sign of any boat resembling the one in question.

Ken

No - wrong song but still may have been done by DD .

You know the one - "what will be will be"

On a more pertinent point. There was a boat similar BUT IN NO WAY THE SAME heading down the Llangollen not far from Hurleston this morning. Similar stern but no fancy hand rails and no portholes. No idea which way it turned on the SU.

Thank you all so much for your continual searches and suggestions. We are contacting all river/canal authorities today, after a suggestion to do this , and we have phoned the Police for an update and they are saying they are actively searching and talking to other forces. So we feel encouraged, especially with you and your activities trying to find our boat. It was suggested that there was several possible sites and boatyards in Nuneaton and Coventry tucked away, that a narrowboat could hide. we have not been that way recently and certainly was not making notes of possible sites our future narrowboat could be hidden, any suggestions or people to contact would be appreciated. It may be closer than we think?

Also was the boat handed to a third party in the pub at Bridge 32 on the Trent and Mersea? So many possibilities! Continued thanks to you all,

• Greenie 1

No - wrong song but still may have been done by DD .

You know the one - "what will be will be"

I started at the beginning of the verse, you are at the end of the first line of the chorus

Richard

Who would the anonymous odd one or two persons watching the post be do the think?

Middle Level posters being sent to all lock keepers via their office.

504 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

72 members, 426 guests, 6 anonymous users

could be anyone from anywhere

Who would the anonymous odd one or two persons watching the post be do the think?

Middle Level posters being sent to all lock keepers via their office.

Nothing sinister about anonymous viewers, there are always quite a few people that are not logged in viewing.

Edited by john6767

I generally read the forum anonymously after someone rather spitefully, years ago, claimed "you clearly stole that story for WW from CWDF, I saw you logged in". It's not too significant - the site operator can presumably see who's reading at any given time. If you really want to be anonymous you'd read on a phone/tablet with a burner SIM and in private browsing mode!

I can't think of any

Thank you all so much for your continual searches and suggestions. We are contacting all river/canal authorities today, after a suggestion to do this , and we have phoned the Police for an update and they are saying they are actively searching and talking to other forces. So we feel encouraged, especially with you and your activities trying to find our boat. It was suggested that there was several possible sites and boatyards in Nuneaton and Coventry tucked away, that a narrowboat could hide. we have not been that way recently and certainly was not making notes of possible sites our future narrowboat could be hidden, any suggestions or people to contact would be appreciated. It may be closer than we think?

Also was the boat handed to a third party in the pub at Bridge 32 on the Trent and Mersea? So many possibilities! Continued thanks to you all,

.............."several possible sites and boatyards in Nuneaton and Coventry tucked away, that a narrowboat could hide."

I can't think of any.

Somebody has already said they checked Charity Dock

Two of us seperately checked Swan Lane Basin on Friday

I moor in the off line basin at Wyken, and a strange boat only has to poke its nose in there to be questioned.

Everything else is main line until you get to Brinklow, and I'm sure both Rose Narrowboats and Brinklow Boats would be aware if someone tried to enter their tiny arm.

504 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

72 members, 426 guests, 6 anonymous users

could be anyone from anywhere

Aren't anonymous users forum members logged in anonymously? Most watchers are 'guests'

Richard