* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

We came through Breward yesterday having been keeping an eye out since Hurlston Junction. If it went that way it's either gone up the Llangollen (I would think unlikely) continued on towards Chester and Ellesmere Port or (more likely) joined the T & M via Middlwhich and could be on the northern waterways now.

Ken

Wouldn't think they'd do the Llangollen either - no way out of there. I've got one spy near New Marton Locks I've got another one with a flat overlooking the Ashton in Manchester.

Some really interesting sightings observations and exclusions. We have just finished contacting, by email with pictures and details , every boatyard and marina listed in England, so if he stops for fuel, or pump out in a boatyard or if they working on the boat, or waiting to be booked in, they all have the pictures and Crime numbers, so they will now know it is stolen. We are also being contacted by the Police we hear soon, and it may be about the fingerprints on the plates. Please keep looking and yes once again, thank you all so much. You really are the best.

A former member of this site is currently cruising the Leicester ring and is keeping a watchful eye out for your boat, he cant post updates here due to being banned but Im sure those who are members of here and TB will update should anything be found.

• Greenie 1

We came through Breward yesterday having been keeping an eye out since Hurlston Junction. If it went that way it's either gone up the Llangollen (I would think unlikely) continued on towards Chester and Ellesmere Port or (more likely) joined the T & M via Middlwhich and could be on the northern waterways now.

Ken

Was on the middlewich arm 27th from the T&M end and didn't spot anything that looked right.

Is there any point in me looking in the St Katharines to Bow/Stratford (E15) area over the next few evenings, Have we any evidence that it has or has not entered the Thames.?

It could literally be anywhere by now.

Is there any point in me looking in the St Katharines to Bow/Stratford (E15) area over the next few evenings, Have we any evidence that it has or has not entered the Thames.?

I am not convinced there is any strong evidence that places it anywhere specific following its removal from the marina, other than this recorded sighting of it by a BW boat checker at a location not far from where it was taken.

If that's not the case, perhaps someone could precis any of the sightings that have been speculated about, and indicate whether there is any real evidence that any of them are genuine.

From my reading this boat could be absolutely anywhere now, unless I have missed some key information.

It seems that way!

Edited by alan_fincher

Perhaps the OP or the owners would care to actually go through the sightings reported and their dates and make a sensible best estimate of the boat's location based on matching sightings/findings.

Maybe any search would be better than none but "between Yorkshire and the Thames" is too big an area to search sensibly.

Maybe someone with serious boat building skill could make some estimate of how much work could easily be done to disguise the boat's origin. An Hour with a petrol concrete slitter could make some serious changes but some things couldn't be so easily changed as others.

But the more it has moved the more clues will have been left, if it is moved at night it draws attention, if it is moved in the day, there are more people to see it, the further it goes the more fuel is required. And I don't think the thief will not underestimate how extreme the search is. My opinion is that is in hiding undergoing extreme cosmetic surgery.

But the more it has moved the more clues will have been left, if it is moved at night it draws attention, if it is moved in the day, there are more people to see it, the further it goes the more fuel is required. And I don't think the thief will not underestimate how extreme the search is. My opinion is that is in hiding undergoing extreme cosmetic surgery.

Indeed, but the point I was answering was is it worth checking out a specific location to which I think the answer is yes, it could be anywhere now so any location where boats can reach are worth checking out.

Indeed, but the point I was answering was is it worth checking out a specific location to which I think the answer is yes, it could be anywhere now so any location where boats can reach are worth checking out.

Agreed, we must also remember that a suspicious boat may have a reg number on it that is from another boat the same length.

My thoughts are if he stole both boats the number plate from the recovered boat is now on the stolen one, there will also be a name and licence in the window. this would let him pass without question up Watford and Foxton or any other maned flight. If its a Gold licence out on the Thames, Nene or anywhere else. No one looks at every boat that closely to identify the make unless they are like us.

My thoughts are if he stole both boats the number plate from the recovered boat is now on the stolen one, there will also be a name and licence in the window. this would let him pass without question up Watford and Foxton or any other maned flight. If its a Gold licence out on the Thames, Nene or anywhere else. No one looks at every boat that closely to identify the make unless they are like us.

Other than a few suggesting it, is there actually anything that connects the theft of the two boats in any way?

Why on earth would you go to the trouble of stealing two, in order to swap the identity of one of them to that of another one that had already been widely published as stolen? It seems to me about the oddest thing you could do!

Given that a CRT index number is equally valid if just painted on, as it is if it is attachable plates, and that producing a licence "disk" with any boat detail on must now be one of the easiest Photoshopping tasks possible, why would you not choose the identity of another vaguely similar boat, rather than one that has already achieved notoriety?

Apart from anything else, I thought the last boat was 60 feet long, and this one is only 50 feet long, or am I wrong? Hardly candidates for an identity swap?

The bit I don't get about this one is "why this boat?". There are far, far more anonymous looking boats - this one is anything but. Unless the person taking it really couldn't see that, I believe they must have had some specific reason for their choice of boat.

The bit I don't get about this one is "why this boat?". There are far, far more anonymous looking boats - this one is anything but. Unless the person taking it really couldn't see that, I believe they must have had some specific reason for their choice of boat.

Echoes my thoughts, but this IS the connection with the other boat. The other boat was also unusual in design so not a good candidate for an ID swap. Yet it was taken. The thief is also of similar appearance and achived quick, skilled entry to the boat, but that's about the extent of the evidence suggesting the same bloke

Another idea is having been chased off the other boat, he stole this one in response. But the timings don't match up.

The thief stopping for a pint in the nearby pub, along with turning up with keys and asking directions to the boat suggests someone who believes (incorrectly) he is taking the boat legitimately. Very odd.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Maybe the first person took the boat believing he was taking it for a legit reason and then handed it over to the real boat thieves. If you knew you was stealing a boat from a marina i think you would go out of your way to remain inconspicuous.

Maybe the first person took the boat believing he was taking it for a legit reason and then handed it over to the real boat thieves. If you knew you was stealing a boat from a marina i think you would go out of your way to remain inconspicuous.

Yes I wonder if it was a professional boat mover, booked for the job. Not sure how he could have had keys though.

There are a few boat-movers about. I wonder if Matty40s could come up with a list of his competitors who could be contacted...