mystery object found with magnet

magnetman

Featured Posts

What is this? A nice looking tool (if you like that sort of thing) but I have no idea what it might be. Found below a lock where windlasses usually are but it may not be remotely related to the canal.

IMG_20160611_183308395_zpso7lriith.jpg

The beer can is for scale and is a 440ml variety (found in beer shop :rolleyes: )

It does but its bloody big !!!

And why would the round hole be there? I have had manhole keys out before and they are much smaller.

Not saying it isn't one though :)

Edited by magnetman

The nearest thing I can think of is a water main hydrant stopcock (as used by firemen).

The ring is for inserting a long bar to get a bit of leverage.

The ones I've seen are a lot longer.

It is a ex BT carriage way cover box key for a JRC 12 or JRC 14. JRC = JOINT BOX CARRIAGEWAY Reinforced.

Used to use them before hydraulic lifters were introduced. If the lid was jammed a bar was inserted into the hole for extra leverage. Now you know.

Use of them now by BT staff will result in disciplinary action if caught.

Edited by Ray T

Thanks Ray T :)

It does look very similar to the item pete i posted a link to but there was no beer can beside it so perhaps it was smaller? Or perhaps the design had been continued for a slightly different purpose.

Edit for misreading issues

Edited by magnetman

Me too :)

One of the things I like about finding old rusty scrap with the magnet is if it is something useful like a sex aid there is some sort of direct link with the person who lost it. For me its like a time machine :)

Its a pleasing item anyway and I do appreciate all the comments about it.

The hole is likely provided for use of bored water board blokes to kill time by blowing soapy bubbles out through the hole into the air, whilst his mate runs about popping them with a pin. closedeyes.gif

• Greenie 2

What is this? A nice looking tool (if you like that sort of thing) but I have no idea what it might be. Found below a lock where windlasses usually are but it may not be remotely related to the canal.

The beer can is for scale and is a 440ml variety (found in beer shop rolleyes.gif )

As everyone says - it is a manhole cover lifter key. Usually you need two keys. The hole allows a bar to be passed through both keys to enable two or more people to lift heavy or 'stuck' covers.

I put a comment on this topic saying that another members comment made me laugh.

I have received a warning for this and the comments have been removed. Can someone explain please.

Rog

We infringed the rules.

Richard