New rules for boats without a home mooring.

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Spot on. I have been up hear Anderton and seen boats on 48 hr moorings for a week. CCing on the Weaver, you can do end to end in a day and all moorings are 48 hrs.

can you be on the Weaver with a River only licence ?

can you be on the Weaver with a River only licence ?

No, but you can be on the Weaver with either a standard Pleasure Boat Licence or a Pleasure Boat Certificate.

The latter will suffice, because it applies to the main navigable channel of the Weaver navigation from Winsford Bridge to its junction with the Manchester Ship Canal at Marsh Lock and at Delamere Dock.

Spot on. I have been up hear Anderton and seen boats on 48 hr moorings for a week. CCing on the Weaver, you can do end to end in a day and all moorings are 48 hrs.

All the CRT designated moorings are 48 hours, but you can moor up more or less anywhere on the banks that you can get in or find a tree to tie to and I presume those are 14 day as usual. There are quite a lot of places as good for access as the official ones.

Interesting thread this is....so as someone who wants to cc the northern system where possible in a 12 foot wb with no home mooring (we aim to cruise all seasons) unless we get a really bad winter...what license would I need or is there several?

Interesting thread this is....so as someone who wants to cc the northern system where possible in a 12 foot wb with no home mooring (we aim to cruise all seasons) unless we get a really bad winter...what license would I need or is there several?

The same licence but two ways of getting it :

1) You declare a 'home mooring' C&RT check that it exists, licence issued.

2) You declare 'no home mooring' and sign a declaration to say you will not remain in any 'place' more than 14 days (except subject to extenuating circumstances)

Option one is commonly called a 'HMer' (Home moorer)

Option two is commonly called a 'CCer' (continuous cruiser)

And then there are those who declare option 2 but have no intention of complying with the requirements and they are commonly known as 'CMers' (continuous moorers or 'bridge hoppers')

There is only one rule that boats without a home mooring have to follow;

Don't upset the enforcement team

Does the enforcement team really care? Does it really matter to them if you overstay your time limit.

The only people bothered are incoming boaters looking for a place to moor - and maybe the local suppliers who might lose business because passing boats have nowhere to stop.

The problem won't be solved until CRT provide more places for temporary moorings with an additional mooring permit that CC's buy

in advance for the 'free' use of long stay temporary moorings provided by CRT throughout the network - a season ticket you could say.

This can't happen without CRT revising the whole pricing structure.

• Greenie 2

The problem won't be solved until CRT provide more places for temporary moorings with an additional mooring permit that CC's buy

in advance for the 'free' use of long stay temporary moorings provided by CRT throughout the network - a season ticket you could say.

I'm really not sure that idea makes sense.

If I want moorings somewhere on a temporary basis, there are lots available all over with the exception maybe of central London and western K&A.

Even Oxford has available moorings not too far away.

The Winter Mooring permit already covers what some find usefull.

Does the enforcement team really care? Does it really matter to them if you overstay your time limit.

The only people bothered are incoming boaters looking for a place to moor - and maybe the local suppliers who might lose business because passing boats have nowhere to stop.

I agree with your first part of your comment, however not so sure on the second part!

Local suppliers probably get more business from c/cers than ''passing boaters''.

What is a ''long stay temporary mooring''?

Would they be for the exclusive use of those with a ''season ticket''?

Where would they be sighted, I assume you don't mean at existing visitor moorings?

Why should CC's pay extra for something that is free to everyone else?

Would CC's be banned from using visitor moorings, if not, I can't see your scheme achieving very much.

Keith

Well, the enforcement team care because that's what they are paid to do. So yes, it does matter to them, because if they just shrug they'll all be out of a job.

Only people bothered are, as you say, other boaters, mostly the ones trying to behave in a social manner. But, in fact, all of them, including the ones who are overstaying because they may want to go and overstay somewhere else but they can't because of all the overstaying boats already overstaying there.

As someone has already pointed out, there are already lots, in fact miles, of 14 day moorings on the canal - it's called the towpath. And these are already free. Hoorah - problem solved!

• Greenie 1