Grottyist canal

treddieafloat

Featured Posts

You need to visit the Bridgwater and Taunton canal.

You can only get 3/4 mile out off Bridgwater docks before you ground out on shopping trollies.

Most off The narrowboats in the docks are rough. Cars and caravans that look like they should be scrapped in the car park

I'll say no more.

Just passed through Blackburn on L&L can't believe the amount of rubbish thousands of bottles takeaway cartons 3 traffic cones lots of timber 9 shopping trollers (that's just the ones we saw and the boat we were travelling hit) plastic bags galore and 1 dead goose. Thought Manchester was bad and makes Coventry look idyllic is there a worse stretch of canal ?

Wait until you get to Burnley ohmy.png

Well I have to say, due to the sterling efforts of a fine squad of vlockies, Stourport basins and the stretch of canal coming in to town is pristine and well cared for. Just thought I would inject a positive note. Agree on the Nuneaton thing though. Last time we went through someone had dumped a load of computer VDU's which we had to navigate round.

As a resident of Nuneaton can I ask those that have made comments about our bit of canal when they last boated along it? We don't go through Nuneaton often, last time being last summer. It wasn't too bad on that occasion. I have over the last couple of years been in touch with our local MP, he has made efforts to clean up our local waterway. Is it still no better?

Ian.

Passed through last Saturday, the stretch that runs past Judkins is always littered with bin bags, had a sofa and tv floating a few weeks ago just near Judkins moorings, last week the stretch between cock and bear and Star line boats was a mess, looks like someone had smashed a old shed up and threw it all in the canal, floating debris for a mile or so.

Oh i didn't think Burnley was so bad ...the wharf is ok and

the cut is pristine compared to Colne.

Well I'm just speaking from past experience - maybe its better now. I have had my two worst prop foulings in that area. It was particularly bad just after the Wharf heading north, being both shallow and full of sunken rubbish. I picked up a piece of plastic sheet that would have covered a football pitch on one occasion. Worse still was last year when a padded jacket brought speed down to 1 mph!. Its lining was so thick it had to be cut off with a hacksaw whilst leaning down the mud hatch.

I was lucky compared with some though. A wide beam hire boat just out of Reedley marina had a complete sprung matress jammed around the prop! Ruined the hirers day - they just went home after it was sorted.

Beaten I think by the Rochdale.

From Littleborough to Manchester, and especially round Rochdale, in places it is quite dreadful.

James

Yes I agree and it's been so bad for so long it should win an award. At very least the whole canal should be renamed, because 'Rochdale' doesn't deserve to be in the title.

Had my worst ever prop fouling near Judging quarry in Nuneaton. Got a large thick plastic fertiliser bag over the prop, which then wrapped around the propshaft. Couldnt get to the side, because I lost all drive.

Took me a couple of hours to clear it. Mind you that was about 1995. Been through Nuneaton many times since, always scruffy, but never had to go down the weed hatch since.

Hi could you let me know the appox locations of the trolleys in the canal at Blackburn.There is one particular bad spot at the bridge immediately to the east of Asda where we pulled about 10 out about 4 weeks back.

I volunteer at Blackburn and we meet every other Thurs. We do other work as well but litter is by far the biggest problem. If you can give me some indication then we can get the grappling hooks in next Thurs.

The local firm Browns(wallpapers) help with volunteers as well

Disappointed to here such bad comments.

Cheers

• Greenie 3

There is a school of thought that says 'If you want a particular supermarket to take a greater interest in what happens to their shopping trollies then next time you recover a trolly from the canal then you should return it to the customer service desk inside the supermarket' It's amazing how the presence of a stinking mud encased trolly inside their store excites both the store management and the environmental health executive.

• Greenie 3

There is a school of thought that says 'If you want a particular supermarket to take a greater interest in what happens to their shopping trollies then next time you recover a trolly from the canal then you should return it to the customer service desk inside the supermarket' It's amazing how the presence of a stinking mud encased trolly inside their store excites both the store management and the environmental health executive.

clapping.gif

They don't like it up 'em!

Have a green one.

Due to most of the trollies that Coventry Canal Society pull out originating from the Tesco at The Ricoh inquiries were made to see if they would engage with us in recovering them.

They do after all cost between £130 and £200+ a pop.

The response was negative as once they've been in the cut they're considered contaminated.

Me thinks they missed the point completely.

Clearly there's no consideration on their part that they have a social responsibility nor have they any idea of the counter marketing damage caused by a forest of mangled metal and handles poking out of the reeds proudly displaying the name of their shop.

Crazy!

Due to most of the trollies that Coventry Canal Society pull out originating from the Tesco at The Ricoh inquiries were made to see if they would engage with us in recovering them.

The response was negative as once they've been in the cut they're considered contaminated.

Clearly there's no consideration on their part that they have a social responsibility nor have they any idea of the counter marketing damage caused by a forest of mangled metal and handles poking out of the reeds proudly displaying the name of their shop.

Crazy!

How much would steam-cleaning them cost?

Oh, and I've seen customers in Tesco who must surely leave trollies just as contaminated after using them.

Crazy!

There was a similar situation on Kidderminster by the Sainsbury's store:

http://www.canalworld.net/testarea279/index.php?/topic/59010-shopping-trolleys-damage-boat-in-kidderminster/

http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/12/tesco_trolley_i.html

They fished out over 70 shopping trolleys (possibly not all Sainsbury's as Tesco is also close to the towpath below the lock).

By my reckoning that could be £14K's worth of kit!

Sainsburys eventually installed a locking system (you now have to carry your trolley to the boat!)

Edited by PaulG

Had my worst ever prop fouling near Judging quarry in Nuneaton. Got a large thick plastic fertiliser bag over the prop, which then wrapped around the propshaft. Couldnt get to the side, because I lost all drive.

Took me a couple of hours to clear it. Mind you that was about 1995. Been through Nuneaton many times since, always scruffy, but never had to go down the weed hatch since.

Funny you should say that, i had a big heavy bag wrap round the prop just near Juddys also, about a month ago, was a real bitch to get off.

Crazy!

They can be fined!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1531535.stm

Tim

Funny you should say that, i had a big heavy bag wrap round the prop just near Juddys also, about a month ago, was a real bitch to get off.

My worst was in the Stewart Aqueduct. Picked up a big piece of heavy duty polythene sheeting. Took best part of 2 hours and broke a kitchen knife cutting it off...

Trollies fairly well spread couple east of asda 1 by short wall with a bench on either side hope you know where I mean. Thanks for all your work on the canal

There is a huge warehouse near Sheffield that repairs and refurbishes shopping trollies from all store sure they could sort out the ones from the cut

Hi could you let me know the appox locations of the trolleys in the canal at Blackburn.There is one particular bad spot at the bridge immediately to the east of Asda where we pulled about 10 out about 4 weeks back.

I volunteer at Blackburn and we meet every other Thurs. We do other work as well but litter is by far the biggest problem. If you can give me some indication then we can get the grappling hooks in next Thurs.

The local firm Browns(wallpapers) help with volunteers as well

Disappointed to here such bad comments.

Cheers

Good work, have a green thing!

My worst was in the Stewart Aqueduct. Picked up a big piece of heavy duty polythene sheeting. Took best part of 2 hours and broke a kitchen knife cutting it off...

This has reminded me of our worse prop foul.

We picked up what turned out to be one of those Chinese lantern things at the bottom of the Walsall flight (Walsall. See previous posts). Loads of thin wire wrapped around the prop and shaft. The cut ends of the wire made loads of puncture wounds in my fingers. I couldn't remember the last time I had a tetanus injection so I thought I'd better pay a visit to the local NHS walk in centre.

As well as tetanus I talked to them about Weil's disease, which somewhat worryingly, they hadn't heard of! They thought a tetanus jab would be a good idea though. Then came the fun game of finding a pharmacist in Walsall who had one. Eventually one was tracked down at the local Tesco. The pharmacist there said he'd never met someone from the Isle of Wight before so he knocked a couple of quid off the price!

We picked up what turned out to be one of those Chinese lantern things at the bottom of the Walsall flight (Walsall. See previous posts). Loads of thin wire wrapped around the prop and shaft. The cut ends of the wire made loads of puncture wounds in my fingers. I couldn't remember the last time I had a tetanus injection so I thought I'd better pay a visit to the local NHS walk in centre.

As well as tetanus I talked to them about Weil's disease, which somewhat worryingly, they hadn't heard of! They thought a tetanus jab would be a good idea though. Then came the fun game of finding a pharmacist in Walsall who had one. Eventually one was tracked down at the local Tesco. The pharmacist there said he'd never met someone from the Isle of Wight before so he knocked a couple of quid off the price!

He he.

I'm not from the Isle of Wight myself, but I've noted that one down in my "book of lies to tell when trying to get a discount"...

I grew up near the Isle of Dogs. Never got a discount though.