Visit to Liverpool.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello. I have just spent an hour or so looking for info on using the Liverpool Canal Link.

I understand that you can now travel to Eldonian Village near the locks on your own. Without request.

What's the moorings like? Safe?

I realise you still have to book to use the link. How long can you stay in the docks not. I understand the time has been reduced.

We intend to pop into CRT Offices in Wigan to book in the next couple of weeks.

Any further information and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Martyn

The bridge at Aintree (and I think Bridge 6 as well ) is only open at two specific times of day - once in the morning and then once in the afternoon. We're planning on stopping back at Lydiate and going in from there. Passage into the docks starts at 13:00 at the top of Stanley Locks.

Lots of details, plus documentation and forms here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/liverpool-canal-link

Max stay in Salthouse Dock is 7 days

Edited by StephenA

When we went in last year under the old system, several boats moored in Eldonian village, and C&RT were encouraging others to moor in there due to the over subscription created by the visit of the 'Three Queens'.

Although we were booked into Stanley dock, everything we heard about Eldonian village was positive.

Rog

Observe your shiny anodes disappearing

Diesel is cheap at the Marina a few docks along from the moorings its a nice cruise but watch out for swimmers

declare what you want and be prepared to get white diesel.

Edited by b0atman

Bridge 9, Hancock’s Swing Bridge and Bridge 6, Netherton Swing Bridge on the L&L shall only be operated by The Trust Staff. These bridges are only operated between 9:30 to 10:30 and 13:00 to 14:00 daily including Tuesdays.

What's so special about Tuesdays?

Observe your shiny anodes disappearing

Diesel is cheap at the Marina a few docks along from the moorings its a nice cruise but watch out for swimmers

declare what you want and be prepared to get white diesel.

Indeed, yes. I nearly did for the herbs in the planter on the stern by watering them with dock water. Duh.

We gave the whole planter a good long dunking in the canal above bridge 9 on the way back but the herbs looked a bit sad for a while. They eventually recovered, though.

N

I assume that Salthouse Dock is as far as you can go even though there seems to be through navigation to Coburg Dock.... or is the fixed bridge at the end of Salthouse too low?

Edited by StephenA

I assume that Salthouse Dock is as far as you can go even though there seems to be through navigation to Coburg Dock.... or is the fixed bridge at the end of Salthouse too low?

We went up as far as Queens dock which is where the marina is, I think turning a 60' beyond that in the marina itself may be a bit problematicunsure.png.

ETA Having checked the map we did actually go into Coburg Dock (and the marina) to empty a cassette!

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

I would strongly recommend the dock tour. It's free, but you have to book your place at the Museum reception.

From memory it's at 11am on Tuesday and Wednesday (I think).

Excellent tour, taking you into the foundations of the shopping complex opposite the dock, to see the remains of the original dock.

It's really worth doing.

Rog

Thanks for all the advice. The tour sounds like my kind of thing.

How serious is the anode fizzing. I am concerned a little,but if it's not too dramatic I can cope. Thinking of getting Nightwatch out of the water later this year. The hull blacking has taken a bit of punishment over the past two years. Last blacked Richards slipway near Cropredy in June 2014. Anodes weren't replaced then,didn't need it.

How long is the stay in the docks?

I would strongly recommend the dock tour. It's free, but you have to book your place at the Museum reception.

From memory it's at 11am on Tuesday and Wednesday (I think).

Excellent tour, taking you into the foundations of the shopping complex opposite the dock, to see the remains of the original dock.

It's really worth doing.

Rog

Would agree with the above. Ask the guide what he thinks about Time Team!

Thanks for all the advice. The tour sounds like my kind of thing.

How serious is the anode fizzing. I am concerned a little,but if it's not too dramatic I can cope. Thinking of getting Nightwatch out of the water later this year. The hull blacking has taken a bit of punishment over the past two years. Last blacked Richards slipway near Cropredy in June 2014. Anodes weren't replaced then,didn't need it.

How long is the stay in the docks?

We spent 4 months there as a winter mooring 2012/2013. We had been blacked in July 2012 and told that anodes were good for another 2 years at least. They were gone within 8 weeks in the dock. The water is clear enough to see them eroding away. The chandlery at the Marina recommended connecting a new anode to the boat hull with a thick cable and hanging it in the water over the stern. Suppose it worked as no damage to prop.

Hello. I have just spent an hour or so looking for info on using the Liverpool Canal Link.

I understand that you can now travel to Eldonian Village near the locks on your own. Without request.

What's the moorings like? Safe?

I realise you still have to book to use the link. How long can you stay in the docks not. I understand the time has been reduced.

We intend to pop into CRT Offices in Wigan to book in the next couple of weeks.

Any further information and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Martyn

A few pictures taken leaving Liverpol a few years ago

https://timlewis.smugmug.com/Other/The-Leaving-of-Liverpool/

Tim

Smashing pictures Tim.

The Tobacco Warehouse is impressive as are all the docks.

Martyn

It's even more impressive at night with fireworks running up the fire escapes......

We still have the bright yellow mug we got on that cruise into the docks...