Continuous Cruising Clarification...

Frog Man

Featured Posts

If you need to ask for clarification about just how far constitutes compliance then I suspect you won't be a CCer in the implied sense... It's like asking how far over the speed limit you can go before being nicked.

I don't see why. It doesn't matter how "genuine" a CCer you are; at some point, maybe during a spell of bad weather or ill health, it's going to help you to have some vague idea of whether you have to travel twenty miles every 14 days, or whether two will do.

• Greenie 1

That's the sort of vaguery I was originally getting at Magictime, thank you.

I know it's clearly a "how long is a bit of string" subject but it was just conversation for conversations sake, that's all.

ps I truly hope that there are no "trolls" on this forum now or in future.

I'm glad of the replies, if nothing else, its clearly a debatable subject! Now, are boat holders permitted by the CRT to use these worms to fish from their boat..?

PLEASE!! Continuous Cruising is one thing, bringing up fishing is going too far....

Richard

Seems anomalous to talk about a distance deemed acceptable to them in miles but then publish a map that talks in kilometres.

Yes it's easy enough to convert but a bit daft and inconsistent in my opinion.

Ed and is it just my PC but does that map not actually show any KM marks at all ??

https://canalrivertrust.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTools/index.html?appid=b46e3e0bda4a44a0be267df7674139a5

Have to admit that I haven't seen this map before but it does seem to clarify things (a bithuh.png ). Just for info Martin you need to zoom right into the map on the relevant bit of canal it then breaks down into numbered locations (our current location is OX-118-P0650) which tells you that we are in the 118km section of the Oxford Canal.

Have to admit that I haven't seen this map before but it does seem to clarify things (a bit:huh: ). Just for info Martin you need to zoom right into the map on the relevant bit of canal it then breaks down into numbered locations (our current location is OX-118-P0650) which tells you that we are in the 118km section of the Oxford Canal.

I actually tried that and it didn't work, hence my comment.

Ed. works on my iPad though (which I'm now on) must be a browser thing.

Edited by MJG

I don't see why. It doesn't matter how "genuine" a CCer you are; at some point, maybe during a spell of bad weather or ill health, it's going to help you to have some vague idea of whether you have to travel twenty miles every 14 days, or whether two will do.

Surely if you have such circumstances you do as many on the forum have done. Get in touch with CRT and they always seem to be very accommodating with those who contact them and explain the circumstances.

It really was just a rhetorical question from a newcomer, I've clearly stepped over a mark and I apologise. I think the term TROLL is a bit unfriendly.

I said troll? not TROLL.

your comment in #20 suggested that you are a troll.

please bear in mind that there are dozens of threads and thousands of posts on this forum dealing with this topic - I suggest you search properly.

nuff said.

Edited by Murflynn

Surely if you have such circumstances you do as many on the forum have done. Get in touch with CRT and they always seem to be very accommodating with those who contact them and explain the circumstances.

But if you had literally no idea how far you had to move to be regarded as in a new "place", how would you know when you needed to get in touch with CRT?

Surely every CCer is going to find it helpful to have at least a vague sense of how far they're required to move after 14 days? It's not as if this is something only "piss takers" need to worry about!

(I used to do a lot of shortish hops around my local area in between longer holiday cruises - say, Skipton to Silsden to Bingley, or Hebden Bridge to Sowerby Bridge to Dewsbury. I knew that was OK because I'd done what Frog Man is trying to do, and got as clear as possible on what the requirement to move to a new "place" actually means.)

I said troll? not TROLL.

your comment in #20 suggested that you are a troll.

Did it? It suggested to me that Frog Man had a sense of humour about having inadvertently brought up a controversial topic.

• Greenie 2

Surely every CCer is going to find it helpful to have at least a vague sense of how far they're required to move after 14 days

It seems to me most CCers have rather more than a vague sense of how far. Most of them are not being evicted by CRT

Richard

Hello all, can somebody explain to me the intricacies of the 14 day mooring rule concerning continuous cruising?

Mainly, how far from one mooring point is it deemed acceptable to travel before mooring again? Also, could you then, in theory, continuously alternate mooring between two spots for 14 days at a time? :-S

You will not get a definitive answer from this forum nor will you get one from C&RT nor any other forum. It seems to me that mostly it is made up as boaters and the C&RT go along.

It seems to me most CCers have rather more than a vague sense of how far. Most of them are not being evicted by CRT

Richard

Well, they have an adequate sense of how far they have to move, but that doesn't mean it's not "vague" in the sense that it can't be pinned down to "at least X metres" or "to a new parish".

In any case, whatever experienced CCers know about the movement required, they only know because they once did what Frog Man is doing - looked/asked for some basic information when it was all new to them.

But if you had literally no idea how far you had to move to be regarded as in a new "place", how would you know when you needed to get in touch with CRT?

As far as I can see it isn't difficult. You realise that there is going to be a restriction on how far you travel e.g. floods or illness. You think to yourself I can do one of two things carry on and deal with any problems from CRT later or have a word with them.

All reports suggest that if you let them know you have a problem they are very amenable and it is easily sorted.

As far as I can see it isn't difficult. You realise that there is going to be a restriction on how far you travel e.g. floods or illness. You think to yourself I can do one of two things carry on and deal with any problems from CRT later or have a word with them.

All reports suggest that if you let them know you have a problem they are very amenable and it is easily sorted.

OK, so let's say I've been moored in one place for 14 days. I'd rather not travel more than two (or four, or eight) miles today, because I'm not comfortable doing the next lock flight in this high wind/with this sprained wrist. How do I know whether or not I need to phone CRT, if I have no idea whether or not two (or four, or eight) miles is an acceptable distance to move?

OK, so let's say I've been moored in one place for 14 days. I'd rather not travel more than two (or four, or eight) miles today, because I'm not comfortable doing the next lock flight in this high wind/with this sprained wrist. How do I know whether or not I need to phone CRT, if I have no idea whether or not two (or four, or eight) miles is an acceptable distance to move?

From previous discussions on this forum it seems to me that you have to consistently ignore the CC'-ing "rules" for some time before CRT put you into their "enforcement" system.

Once this has happened, then I think you need to be much more cautious.

If you are overstaying at one of the "honeypot" sites, you are more likely to attract CRT's attention.

If you're in the middle of nowhere you are probably less likely to have a problem

Don't take my word for it as the only experience of CRT enforcement I have is with my current unscheduled stay in Gloucester (due to high river levels).

Once they understood my situation, CRT were no problem at al.

• Greenie 1

Although I am not a CC'r, I believe the "move to the next parish" has served people well for years. Also current guidelines especially suggest you should move to at least places A, B, C & D before returning to place A.

As others have suggested, it is better to advise CRT if you have to overstay, rather than waiting for the EO to contact you.

• Greenie 1

From previous discussions on this forum it seems to me that you have to consistently ignore the CC'-ing "rules" for some time before CRT put you into their "enforcement" system.

Once this has happened, then I think you need to be much more cautious.

If you are overstaying at one of the "honeypot" sites, you are more likely to attract CRT's attention.

If you're in the middle of nowhere you are probably less likely to have a problem

Don't take my word for it as the only experience of CRT enforcement I have is with my current unscheduled stay in Gloucester (due to high river levels).

Once they understood my situation, CRT were no problem at al.

This is all getting a bit involved! I was just making the point that you can't even know whether you're ignoring the rules (e.g. by overstaying in one place) unless you have a basic understanding of what the rules are (e.g. how far you have to move to be counted as being in a different place).

Don't worry about me; I don't have a boat at the minute, and when I did I moved it about more than enough to avoid any negative attention from CRT!

I believe that if you use your boat bona fide for navigation you should not get any trouble from CaRT. boat.gif

...................Dave

Simple as that, eh? Who knew that if people just used their boats genuinely (bona fide) to make journeys by water (for navigation) - say, to the nearest sanitary station and water point a few times a month - they could avoid any trouble with enforcement.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that "bona fide for navigation" should obviously be interpreted as meaning nothing more than "genuinely to make journeys by water" in the context of the Act, just that it shouldn't obviously be interpreted as implying long, progressive journeys either. Hence all the room for debate.

Edited by magictime

New year I was stuck in Doncaster due to floods I was going back to my moorings so phoned CRT they took down my index number. Few days later bumped into EO he knew all about me nice chat no probs. However the overstayers he moved on as they were taking the michael and causing problems as people needed those visitor moorings whilst waiting to get back to Rotherham/Sheffield etc. Crt have always been reasonable to me but then |I am reasonable to them

• Greenie 4

This is all getting a bit involved! I was just making the point that you can't even know whether you're ignoring the rules (e.g. by overstaying in one place) unless you have a basic understanding of what the rules are (e.g. how far you have to move to be counted as being in a different place).

Don't worry about me; I don't have a boat at the minute, and when I did I moved it about more than enough to avoid any negative attention from CRT!

Simple as that, eh? Who knew that if people just used their boats genuinely (bona fide) to make journeys by water (for navigation) - say, to the nearest sanitary station and water point a few times a month - they could avoid any trouble with enforcement.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that "bona fide for navigation" should obviously be interpreted as meaning nothing more than "genuinely to make journeys by water" in the context of the Act, just that it shouldn't obviously be interpreted as implying long, progressive journeys either. Hence all the room for debate.

They're called Navigations for a reason.

If you wish to cruise, feel free to do so.

If you wish to stay in an area, get a mooring.

It's that simple :)

Rog

Absolutely. Done it only a few days ago down in Bancroft Basin