UPDATE ON LICENSING PROCESS FOR BOATS WITHOUT HOME MOORINGS

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

10 March 2016

10 March 2016

UPDATE ON LICENSING PROCESS FOR BOATS WITHOUT HOME MOORINGS

Further to its announcement on 13 February 2015, the Canal & River Trust has updated its process for licensing boats without a home mooring. From 1 May 2016, as originally planned, the Trust will no longer offer three month restricted licences to boaters who have not been meeting the terms of their ‘continuous cruiser’ licence.

In May 2015 the Trust launched an information drive to provide greater clarity to boaters without a home mooring. This has included: getting in touch early to let boaters know when they haven’t been moving enough to meet the terms of their licence; sending out information packs when people take up a ‘continuous cruising’ licence; and sending text messages to overstaying boats to see if they need any help.

Over 5,000 boats without a home mooring have had their movement patterns reviewed prior to licence renewal and, where there were concerns, licences for shorter durations (three or six months) were offered to enable the customer to establish a more acceptable range of movement.

Mike Grimes, head of boating at the Canal & River Trust, said: “Our emphasis on better communication, alongside a defined period in which to resolve problem cruising patterns, seems to be having a positive effect. It has been encouraging to see that many boaters on short duration licences have been able to increase their range of movement, while a number have opted to take home moorings. Half of those issued with a three month licence, and nearly two-thirds of those issued a six month licence, improved their cruising pattern whilst on a restricted licence and were offered further licences on this basis.

“It was always the intention that offering three month restricted licences would be a temporary measure whilst the approach bedded in during its first year. Six month restricted licences may still be offered to those boats that aren’t quite meeting the movement requirements to allow them a final opportunity to show an improvement. Boats without a home mooring that are not moving in line with our guidance, despite all the communication they have received, will no longer be offered a licence of any duration. We are continuing our programme of education and communication, which I believe is essential in meeting the needs of both boaters and the Trust, to ensure everyone can enjoy our canals and rivers.

“Our enforcement team, supported by the Trust’s welfare officer Sean Williams, will always approach each case sympathetically. Since 1 May 2015 we’ve granted over 860 extended stays and equality adjustments for boaters without a home mooring. We’d urge any boater running into difficulties to talk to us about their situation as early as possible to explore what temporary solutions we can find.”

A chart of the process and the latest statistics will be available here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/enforcement/continuous-cruising-monitoring-process

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

The Canal & River Trust is a new charity entrusted with the care of 2,000 miles of waterways in England and Wales. Get involved, join us - Visit / Donate / Volunteer at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk - Sign up for our newsletter at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/newsletter

Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales with company number 7807276 and charity number 1146792. Registered office address First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB.

Elusen newydd yw Glandŵr Cymru sy’n gofalu am 2,000 o filltiroedd o ddyfrffyrdd yng Nghymru a Lloegr. Cymerwch ran, ymunwch â ni - Ewch i Rhoddion a Gwirfoddoli yn www.glandwrcymru.org.uk

Mae Glandŵr Cymru yn gwmni cyfyngedig drwy warant a gofrestrwyd yng Nghymru a Lloegr gyda rhif cwmni 7807276 a rhif elusen gofrestredig 1146792. Swyddfa gofrestredig: First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB.

"We've successfully increased the perception of our powers beyond their statutory limit and we are confidant that we can get away with it. None of those itinerant CC'ers can afford to take us to court anyway."

• Greenie 2

CRT are not going to bend over for the offenders they now say NO licence as per their terms .

No win no fee lawyers would be idiots to take this on .

Better spread the word to the CMers.

• Greenie 1

Now all they have to do is to promote low-cost marina berths, so that those who are short of funds can afford a home mooring.

Good idea - although CART bankside moorings would probably be a more economical option in most parts of the system.

Now all they have to do is to promote low-cost marina berths, so that those who are short of funds can afford a home mooring.

.........so all the people currently in marinas can move to the CRT cheap marina berths........what a good idea!

Good idea - although CART bankside moorings would probably be a more economical option in most parts of the system.

I understood bankside moorings were reduced as marinas opened.

Like to know who will sponser low cost marina berths. Will they also sponser the marinas that empty as boaters move go the low cost berths.

Edited by valrene9600

As a CC'er I fully support CRT in their approach.

Well as I said, it worked. More boats have moved. At what cost though?

Genuine CC'ers have been stressed by being uncertain whether their movements have been correctly recorded. Some have apparently been caught out unfairly by the logging system which is unfit for purpose.

So far it's not affected me except for the stupid conflicting rules and signs.

What we have is a gradual creep in draconian enforcement which is not just P'ing off some CC'ers but also some with a home mooring.

Meanwhile so called CM'ers just carry on and ignore CRT and try to stay within the law. Their case is increasingly capturing the public's imagination and gaining legal support. I suspect their anger won't stop their either.

So, as I said, more boats are now on the move. How has that helped create more moorings for occasional visitors? Thrupp is full of boats at the moment, Lets see what happens in the summer.

No, this has been aimed at all of us. Divide and conquer still works.

• Greenie 2

I understood bankside moorings were reduced as marinas opened.

Like to know who will sponser low cost marina berths. Will they also sponser the marinas that empty as boaters move go the low cost berths.

Snippet from the T&C of the application form for any NAA proposed marina.

"We will not be concerned with the viability of the proposal, the impact of the proposal on the existing supply of moorings in the area or whether there will be sufficient customer demand to support all operators"

Anyway, all private marina moorings are virtual CRT moorings.

Snippet from the T&C of the application form for any NAA proposed marina.

"We will not be concerned with the viability of the proposal, the impact of the proposal on the existing supply of moorings in the area or whether there will be sufficient customer demand to support all operators"

Anyway, all private marina moorings are virtual CRT moorings.

Other than BWML marinas are businesses trying to make a profit. Perhaps when they go bust crt will step in and provide low coat home moorings.........I think NOT.

Er hum...

"Boats without a home mooring that are not moving in line with our guidance, despite all the communication they have received, will no longer be offered a licence of any duration."

I wasn't aware licences were "offered" to boaters, I thought they were issued by the trust according to the legislation, not CRT's own decision.

Edited by waterworks

Other than BWML marinas are businesses trying to make a profit. Perhaps when they go bust crt will step in and provide low coat home moorings.........I think NOT.

I think the quote makes it quite clear, CRT don't give a toss. The "definition of Waterway" includes most of the other marinas you're alluding to. If the marinas win, lose or draw, CRT gets a pound of flesh. If the marinas go bust, CRT probably would get the opportunity to convert them to BWML's.

Those who cm because of restricted incomes can approach the designated bodies .These people will help them to claim housing benefits which pays for Licence mooring and I believe Insurance & BSC.

I think that is unlikely - BWML is currently going thru a 'slimming down' and are in the process of selling off several of their marinas.

Maybe there are some nutcases around who would be willing to take over a BWML marina and sign up to CRT's overbearing, corset of a contract.

Er hum...

"Boats without a home mooring that are not moving in line with our guidance, despite all the communication they have received, will no longer be offered a licence of any duration."

I wasn't aware licences were "offered" to boaters, I thought they were issued by the trust according to the legislation, not CRT's own decision.

CRT will issue licences to boaters without a home mooring who "satisfy the Board...". Boaters who do not respond to comminications from CRT may find it rather difficult to "satisfy the Board".

• Greenie 4