UPDATE ON LICENSING PROCESS FOR BOATS WITHOUT HOME MOORINGS

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Are you asking us or telling us? Because in post #62 you claimed there was a "right to roam the system". I think its worth fully understanding the legal framework under which CRT operates. I also accept your point that there's moral obligations in addition to the legal ones.

A start would be:

1962 Transport Act s.10

1968 Transport Act s.105 (1) (b )

Asking really but it sounds like we agree we have rights on moral grounds. Not sure how that stands up in law though, isn't that whwre things are eventually contested anyway?

I'll have a read of the Tranaport acts later.

As I understand it, the majority of the system is around 200 years old.

There's the odd rough bit but we still manage to navigate, if slowly.

For the most part, in my experience, the system works well.

And I have certainly been held up in the last few months by somebody carrying out repairs and maintenance.

Nothing in life is simple and clear cut, but is there really the need for so much doom and gloom ?

Rog

That's what C&RT want you to believe, and is the standard excuse for the increasingly dilapidated state of our canals.It sounds plausible enough, but a little thought soon exposes it for the lie that it is.

By far the most common of structural failures are those affecting lockgates and paddles, . . . all stuff with a reliable and useful life expectancy of 30, to maybe 35 years at the absolute maximum, and hence, no older than that.

As for the other most common problem, ie. lack of depth due to lack of dredging, . . . well, none of the mud, silt or junk that the canals are now full up with is two centuries old, and it definitely wasn't put there by the canal builders.

Hmmm, now that's actually quite a difficult one. I think a 'right' is a rather arbitrary human construction. A matter of law, made up by the humans. Maybe Nigel Moore would help us out here...

It is a well established subject in its own right, largely philosophy but also theology, politics and economics thrown in. Sadly, it is becoming less well-understood by the populace at large (perhaps because too few have experienced life without rights) with the consequence that they are ridiculed along with Safety provisions.

Once they are removed, it is perhaps too late to reclaim them.

That said, once you do study the subject then you may well find conclusions close to those which perhaps the majority here espouse. They are not a licence for unbridled anarchy (itself a well established concept, albeit not widely supported).

That's what C&RT want you to believe, and is the standard excuse for the increasingly dilapidated state of our canals.It sounds plausible enough, but a little thought soon exposes it for the lie that it is.

By far the most common of structural failures are those affecting lockgates and paddles, . . . all stuff with a reliable and useful life expectancy of 30, to maybe 35 years at the absolute maximum, and hence, no older than that.

As for the other most common problem, ie. lack of depth due to lack of dredging, . . . well, none of the mud, silt or junk that the canals are now full up with is two centuries old, and it definitely wasn't put there by the canal builders.

? well known breaches in recent years - T&M above the Weaver, Stourbridge, several places up North this winter? Often more disruptive than failed lock mechanisms and gates which are rectified much more expeditiously.

Is it not that the 'sudden' influx of boaters into the London area in particular has made CaRT more aware of the problems - in particular those of waste and sanitation problems. An outbreak of cholera in the future is not too far fetched to contemplate - and then 'the government' will come down with a heavy hand.

CaRT have to be seen to do something....

Cholera?? I don't know how you perceive the situation in London but I can confirm that it's not a Victorian slum with shit running along the towpath.

Jambo, on 12 Mar 2016 - 2:10 PM, said:

Cholera?? I don't know how you perceive the situation in London but I can confirm that it's not a Victorian slum with shit running along the towpath.

It wasn't poo on the towpath that bothers me, it's what is slid into the cut surreptitiously when nobody's looking

After all you'd have to be a Saint not to be tempted - with so few sanitary facilities available in the London area.

Lifting a manhole cover and dumping it down there doesn't guarantee that it connect with a sewer - an ends up in the cut anyway.

It aint much better though.

Tim

I thought you never went to London, so how do you know?

I have been five times. It was a dump the first time and they other four times. I confess that I have not been for nearly twenty years since I brought my daughter out from the Uni she went to but I am in no doubt that as with most things it will not have improved in those few years.

Tim