Harecastle Tunnel is closed!

nipper

Featured Posts

surely if you breakdown, you still have legs and could leg the boat through, unless they haven't got a risk assessment for that.........

Tom

Are you serious? Can you imagine a very elderly couple - of which there are many in the boating community - attempting that?

Yes, it has now taken a short holiday. Some customers of local pubs have seen it late in the evening on the top shelf behind the bars.................... with the other spirits. biggrin.png

Very good. It seemed appropriate that Shreck should be given his first greenie.

With the coroner's comments following the death in the tunnel I would suggest that CRT have little choice but to close the tunnel if they haven't got a rescue boat available. Imagine a repeat of the tragedy, boat comes out of the tunnel missing the helmsman and CRT don't have a boat immediately available to go in and look for him, wouldn't look good for them would it?unsure.png

Well I'm not changing contract just so I can go through the bowels of the Potteries. :-)

And I'm not going through the bowels of the Potteries just because I have the "right" contract .....

Would be truly amazing if it works in there - hardly does anywhere else I've been this winter!!

And I'm not going through the bowels of the Potteries just because I have the "right" contract .....

Would be truly amazing if it works in there - hardly does anywhere else I've been this winter!!

which is what I was trying to get across....

thanks

I find Vodafone pretty good, but maybe that is the phone I use.

I find Vodafone pretty good, but maybe that is the phone I use.

Pretty rubish on my work phone but then that is ideal when I am on holiday and don't want to receive phone calls from work.

Legging a boat through a tunnel isn't that hard, I have actually done this, but then I don't look for the first excuse to not have to move!

Tom

But citing the ability to leg a boat up to three quarters of a mile through a tunnel that is a boat and a half wide is not a proportionate response to not having a rescue craft available. I would guess it's well beyond the capabilities of the majority of crews entering the tunnel and as pointed out elsewhere they wouldn't be equipped to do so. I also find it hard to imagine any activity on the canal that is more dangerous. I'd say there are good reasons rather than excuses why it isn't viable from C&RT's perspective.

JP

• 3 weeks later...

Just received notification that Harecastle Tunnel is closed again due to mechanical problems with the rescue boat, again. Expected to reopen tomorrow (30 March) when contractors have carried out necessary repairs. Whilst I am normally a fan of CaRT twice in a month does, for me at least, bring into question the competence of the contractors