Harecastle Tunnel is closed!

nipper

Featured Posts

Just heard that the Harecastle tunnel is close both ends, because the rescue launch has a problem!!

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal
Starts At: Harecastle Tunnel North Portal
Ends At: Harecastle Tunnel South Portal

Friday 4 March 2016 10:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Information

Original message:

The tunnel is closed due to a mechanical problem with the rescue boat.

We are currently awaiting for the contractors to make the repairs to the boat.

The tunnel will remain closed for safety reasons, until the repairs have been carried out.

Due to heavy snow fall this may effect contractor availability, which could result in this stoppage continuing into the weekend.

We’ll provide an update later today.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/6811/trent-and-mersey-canal-harecastle-tunnel

Is there really heavy snowfall in the area?

well I'm in Stoke and there's been a few light falls of snow with none settling . I can't imagine it's that different a few miles away

Apparently the tunnel could now be closed 'into monday' as they couldn't fix the boat due to bad weather. What a joke. I am about a mile from the tunnel and we've had a few light sprinklings of snow, none of which has even settled.

Edited by junior
  • Greenie 2

surely if you breakdown, you still have legs and could leg the boat through, unless they haven't got a risk assessment for that.........

Tom

Like it or not, CRT is responsible for the safety of boaters using the tunnel.

No rescue boat, not safe, no passage. It's as simple as that.

(and don't call me Shurely).

• Greenie 2

To state the bleedin' obvious here, the heavy snowfall wouldn't have to be near the tunnel itself to create a problem with contractor availability. It could be causing problems anywhere between the tunnel and the contractors' base.

Heavy snowfall at 5-6 cms always sounds much more than 2-2 1/2" which is what it means. Apparently this amount brought Yorkshire to a halt today, with schools closed. The cynic in me thinks that when teachers used to live 2-3 miles away from school it was easier to get in. Now they can afford to live 20 -30 miles away, the slightest amount of snow becomes an insurmountable obstacle.

Heavy snowfall at 5-6 cms always sounds much more than 2-2 1/2" which is what it means. Apparently this amount brought Yorkshire to a halt today, with schools closed. The cynic in me thinks that when teachers used to live 2-3 miles away from school it was easier to get in. Now they can afford to live 20 -30 miles away, the slightest amount of snow becomes an insurmountable obstacle.

The same thing applies to the pupils who "have to be" brought by car instead of trudging through the snow like we did.

The proximity of the snowfall to the tunnel is not relevant.

The proximity of the snowfall to the contractor who is contracted to fix the rescue tug however is. If we knew what that was then perhaps the adverse weather issue may actually be relevant.

surely if you breakdown, you still have legs and could leg the boat through, unless they haven't got a risk assessment for that.........

Tom

Feel free to try that one if you ever get the opportunity.....

Is there really heavy snowfall in the area?

Cat and Fiddle closed - heavy snow up Summit Pound - if the contractor came from Macclesfield way; he was probably not going yo get far - traffic was grid locked

Edited by StarUKKiwi

To state the bleedin' obvious here, the heavy snowfall wouldn't have to be near the tunnel itself to create a problem with contractor availability. It could be causing problems anywhere between the tunnel and the contractors' base.

Good point.

magictime, on 04 Mar 2016 - 8:08 PM, said:

You are stating the obvious, It's just not obvious to some seemingly I have just said similar not having read the whole thread and not seeing your post.

I don't know about the rest of the country but here just north of the north Yorks moors we sometimes see no snowfall but the next town will see lots and even will see them cut off with us just having a light covering.

It seems reasonable to assume it could happen at this location too.

Edited by MJG

You aren't stating the obvious, I have just said similar not having read the whole thread and not seeing your post.

Well it was obvious to me, and to you!

Huh? Since when is there a general rule that property prices get higher the further you go from the school you work at? That might apply to some inner-city schools, but in the suburbs and rural areas housing costs generally get higher the closer you get to a school, don't they?

As to the idea that there's been a recent trend towards housing in "posh" areas becoming more affordable for the typical teacher, or the typical anything else for that matter... well, I'm not sure any comment is necessary, really.

Tom

I better check that my legging boards are still there. OMG they're missing! I've been robbed! ... oh wait, I never ever had any...

If I were a teacher, especially in a secondary school, I think I'd want to live miles away so that the pupils didn't know where I lived.

What is this "snow" stuff of which you speak? I've only seen a tiny bit of it down here this winter.

If I were a teacher, especially in a secondary school, I think I'd want to live miles away so that the pupils didn't know where I lived.

My lodger is a yr5 teacher in Stoke, he lives in Uttoxeter for that reason.

Like it or not, CRT is responsible for the safety of boaters using the tunnel.

No rescue boat, not safe, no passage. It's as simple as that.

This is it.

There is are genuine reasons why it's appropriate, and this day and age nessary, to have a rescue/safety boat. It broken and they have not been able to fixed it, so the tunnel is shut.

Had there been another tug/boat in the area I would like to think with some suitable lights it could have been used, however it would depend on the training/experience of the staff, suitability of biat, etc.

Equally it depends on the failure of the current boat if not being able to fixed or get fixed was appropriate.

That said, it's also a cost/benefit analysis exercise. It's not peak season, nor life threatening, for the tunnel to be closed for a weekend.

Daniel

Has the Kidsgrove Boggart been informed?

Yes, it has now taken a short holiday. Some customers of local pubs have seen it late in the evening on the top shelf behind the bars.................... with the other spirits. biggrin.png

• Greenie 1