Recommend a Surveyor near Stone, Staffs?

lampini

Featured Posts

Could i get your recommendations for a good surveyor near, or who is happy to travel to Stone, Staffs please. One who will not mind me following him/her around during the (full) survey and asking questions. I'm pretty good at not getting in the way but at the same time i will want to be able to ask stuff....

Big thanks in advance.. smile.png

One who will not mind me following him/her around during the (full) survey and asking questions. I'm pretty good at not getting in the way but at the same time i will want to be able to ask stuff....

Big thanks in advance.. smile.png

Based on that sentence my personal recommendation is Trevor Whitling.

As an alternative to Travor, try Craig Allen.

I wanted to use Trevor for my boat, but the marina refused to allow him in. He recommended Craig, who was excellent, and answered all of my questions with good grace, even the stupid ones!

Steve Hands is recommended here, and he did my survey in 2011. He doesn't want you on the boat during the survey, but he spent a good hour talking me through it once he had finished. I was able to ask anything I wanted, and he covered every bit of the boat in our discussion.

Based on my experience of preparing property details for selling houses, you will get a better survey if you leave the surveyor to do his job, then talk afterwards.

Steve Hands is recommended here, and he did my survey in 2011. He doesn't want you on the boat during the survey, but he spent a good hour talking me through it once he had finished. I was able to ask anything I wanted, and he covered every bit of the boat in our discussion.

Based on my experience of preparing property details for selling houses, you will get a better survey if you leave the surveyor to do his job, then talk afterwards.

That's entirely fair enough.. as long as it's all covered - i bet that hour alone was worth the cost!

Thanks for all the replies oh experienced boaty-types.... cheers.gif

I am not sure if it is too far west for him, but Mike Carter is in the North West and would come well recommended from me.

Daniel

Another vote for Mike Carter here....I make him travel down to Leicestershire!!

Been more than happy with his services over the years.

Cheers

Gareth

Steve Hands did our survey in Alvecote. He wasn't keen on us following him about but the briefing on completion was very comprehensive. Also, I had need to e-mail him some weeks later and he was unfailingly helpful.

This is great chaps.. The survey - as it'll be our first boat and we'll be living aboard - is really important to me!

Should all go to plan and i get to add a boat name to my profile in a week or so's time... you're all welcome round for a cup o tea and a slice of cake!

(probably won't be pontefract cake!ninja.gif )

cheers.gif

This is great chaps.. The survey - as it'll be our first boat and we'll be living aboard - is really important to me!

Should all go to plan and i get to add a boat name to my profile in a week or so's time... you're all welcome round for a cup o tea and a slice of cake!

(probably won't be pontefract cake!ninja.gif )

cheers.gif

I could suggest that if you have never bought a boat before, there is a good chance you will irritate the hell out of the surveyor if you are watching his every move, as he inspects every part of the boat, forms his thoughts and opinions, and makes his notes. For fear of offending, I'll repeat that you probably wont get as good a survey if you are there, but you could expect a good verbal briefing after he is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Mr Bear - recon we're going with this guy... gonna be at Gt Haywood for a few weeks whist we await the slipway being available!

Watch the BSS video here www.boatsafetyscheme.org/ Iain is the examiners doing the turn on the boat. I'm sure when he explains stuff, you'll understand what he is talking about as he get over points really well. Totally nice chap.

Watch the BSS video here www.boatsafetyscheme.org/ Iain is the examiners doing the turn on the boat. I'm sure when he explains stuff, you'll understand what he is talking about as he get over points really well. Totally nice chap.

Thanks for that Rob - as total newbies, we're in need of as much reassurance as possible..! Survey booked for the 24th - will be sure to report how it goes...

smile.png

Woo Hoo - you're back! Wilkommen, Bienvenue etc etc.... :hug:

Any news on your own search for a boat?

Ello Chucky Egg ! Missed our chats.

Well it's been a bit of a wait but I am hoping to be a full time live aboard aboard by the end of April. Fingers and what not crossed.

I bet your as excited as me .

Smiley faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Well gosh darny - gonna resurrect this thread to say that she passed the survey with flying colors!

Iain Jones was absolutely brilliant...

And once the silly ole bank holiday is done and the casheroo is transferred - WE SHALL OWN A BOAT!!

Thanks all on here for your help and contributions; it's been our dream for years now and i can't believe its actually happening! We will be living aboard from mid-april... i think our very SOULS will breathe a sigh of relief that will be audible from Stone (the boat's at Great Haywood Marina atm!)

We have been INCREDIBLY lucky to find an absolute gentleman of a private vendor.. pics etc...will come after next Wednesday when she is truly and properly OURS!wub.png

cheers.gifbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Apparently ive posted more emoticons than allowed - lmao!!