Who maybe buying narrowboats

Strads

Featured Posts

Any one know if any boatyards or similar are buying narrow boats currently ??

I have Barry Hawkins Nortwich Trader which I may need to sell and would probably not want to go through having folks turn up at the mooring.

She has an RN DM3, runs well and in generally good order.

Thanks Johnpost-2956-0-74526800-1456266469_thumb.jpg

A quick scan on the internet highlights boatyards and visiting their websites shows those that are looking to buy.

Be aware that they'll only offer a fraction of the market value.

Also by putting a photo of your boat and the details ..... "She has an RN DM3, runs well and in generally good order." makes it appear you're advertising it here as those details are irrelevant to your question. It would be better if you placed your post in the correct section of the forum and obtain Moderator permission.

Good luck, looks a nice boat.

Any one know if any boatyards or similar are buying narrow boats currently ??

I have Barry Hawkins Nortwich Trader which I may need to sell and would probably not want to go through having folks turn up at the mooring.

She has an RN DM3, runs well and in generally good order.

Thanks Johnattachicon.gifJohn email pics1.JPG

We had Whilton Marina come and look at our boat and make an offer to buy it this time last year. What they offered was well below what we thought it was worth so we didn't accept it.

The boat's big selling point is its desirable and unusual engine. This boat would sell to an enthusiast. Don't flog it to a broker for half its value.

Couldn't agree more!

Flog it to me for half its value instead...

biggrin.png

Noooooo!!!!!!

Don't flog it to Mike flog it to me for half its value plus £1

Wow, a bidding war has broken out.

I'm not sure that I have seen another boat with a 3-cylinder RN - though I know that Mel Davis put one in a new boat circa 2006, as I say it at his yard. Blooming superb it looked too.

I thought that the "Northwich Trader" name was used exclusively by R.W. Davis. Not so?

Edited by Athy

I thought that the "Northwich Trader" name was used exclusively by R.W. Davis. Not so?

According to the OP is is not a 'Northwich Trader' but a 'Nortwich Trader'

Could be a spelling mistake or it could be a manufacturers marketing ploy to 'mislead' buyers (bit like some of Aldi's packaging that is virtually identical to 'branded' stuff)

I took this as being a simple typo, like your first "is"!

And it's a Barry Hawkins.

A lesser selling point, but the builder/ engine combo should attract buyers, yes.

Could be a spelling mistake or it could be a manufacturers marketing ploy to 'mislead' buyers (bit like some of Aldi's packaging that is virtually identical to 'branded' stuff)

Is "Northwitch Trader" a registered trademark of RW Davis? I doubt it...

No, but I think that "Northwich Trader" may be. They have been using it for some years, and it's on their builder's plates. Whether they have the exclusive right to use it I don't know, but a different builder would have to be pretty stupid to use it.

I can never put my finger on why, but I struggle to warm to a Barry Hawkins boat. Very nicely engineered generally from what I've seen, but always a bit light on 'personality' for me at least.

They probably wouldn't be amongst my first choices either - though I really admired the one they built for (I think) the millennium, 'Victoria'. But there's no doubt that they have a reputation amongst people who like the more butch type of modern boat

No, but I think that "Northwich Trader" may be. They have been using it for some years, and it's on their builder's plates. Whether they have the exclusive right to use it I don't know, but a different builder would have to be pretty stupid to use it.

No this name has confusingly been used by both R W Davies and Barry Hawkins over a number of years. This has been discussed in previous threads.

If that wasn't daft enough you can actually buy what is marketed as a "Northwich Trader Replica", but this time built by Tyler Wilson. Linky

It however doesn't claim to be a "replica" of either an RW Davies Northwich Trader or a Barrty Hawkind Northwich Trader, but instead makes the bizarre claim....

built using the ORIGINAL TEMPLATES by Tyler Wislon (Sic)

Yeah right -they have found some W J Yarwoods templates, have they!

And, of course none of the three offerings really look like any boat that W J Yarwoods ever built at Northwich!

All that said, Strads' boat is a beaut. I wouldn't vaguely consider trying to make a cash sale to a dealer. In my experience selling through a broker can be relatively hassle free, provided you are prepared to price realistically, and you'll certainly end up with more cash in pocket than the alternative mooted above.

All that said, Strads' boat is a beaut. I wouldn't vaguely consider trying to make a cash sale to a dealer. In my experience selling through a broker can be relatively hassle free, provided you are prepared to price realistically, and you'll certainly end up with more cash in pocket than the alternative mooted above.

I think a lot also depends on how quickly you need to sell.

One reason we didn't accept Whilton's cash offer for The Dog House (and a couple of low offers when it was on brokerage at RBS) was because we were not in any particular hurry to sell. Yes we had plans for the money once we had it but those plans were not in any real way 'time dependent'. If in a hurry for any reason a cash offer, even if it is a low one can be appealing if you can also afford to 'take a hit'.

But yes at the end of the day yes we too ended up with more than we would have got from Whilton in a cash sale even factoring in RBS's charges (which are not insignificant).

Thanks for the information and clarification, Alan. When will Collingwood be bringing out their Northwich Trader?

XRANDD have been doing them for a while.

http://www.xrandd.co.uk

Check out their fwd hydraulic bike lift (BMW GS1200) video too.

Edited by Markinaboat