Who maybe buying narrowboats

Strads

Featured Posts

New and Used here in Mercia are down to just four used boats for sale, never seen their pontoons looking so empty. They'd bite your hand off if you asked them to sell your boat.

This seems to be a trend at the moment - I'm not sure if it's seasonal. I keep tabs on boats for sale at Apollo Duck and, while for a couple of years there have been between 20 and 30 Springers for sale at any one time, last time I looked there were only about eight.

This seems to be a trend at the moment - I'm not sure if it's seasonal. I keep tabs on boats for sale at Apollo Duck and, while for a couple of years there have been between 20 and 30 Springers for sale at any one time, last time I looked there were only about eight.

Well, that's a good sign. Unless they have all sunk.

Or been given "section 8s", and been broken up!

I hope you are not suggesting that Springer-owners are more prone to being Section Eighted than other people. That would be Springerist, and you are inviting a visit from the thought-police.

Not to mention angry Springsters with knuckle-dusters, nailed clubs, and other such weapons typical of that class of people. smile.png

ETA: I see Loafer has already fingered you as an undesirable. The thought-police can't be far behind.

Edited by George94

I hope you are not suggesting that Springer-owners are more prone to being Section Eighted than other people. That would be Springerist, and you are inviting a visit from the thought-police.

Not to mention angry Springsters with knuckle-dusters, nailed clubs, and other such weapons typical of that class of people. smile.png

Equally I hope you were not suggesting that owners of Springers are more likely to let their boats sink than other boat owners!

Equally "Springerist", surely?

Equally I hope you were not suggesting that owners of Springers are more likely to let their boats sink than other boat owners!

Equally "Springerist", surely?

I don't think the owners, poor clods, can do much about it.

It's the boats themselves and their sardine can plating.

I have the highest regard for Springsters. Brave men (and women) who take their lives in their hands every day.

Old joke. (Many a true word, etc...)

Why is a Springer called a Springer?

Coz it's prone to Springer leak.

But seriously now, many steel boats are built from much thinner steel than narrowboats. A lighter boat needs a smaller engine, stops more quickly, and uses less fuel. The vee hull should make a Springer handle better, and being less buoyant, it will require less ballast.

There nowt wrong wi' a Springer.

I think there is a genuine lack of boats for sale compared to the last couple of years. I had an eye on the market for about 18 months before I was in a position to buy last autumn and it seems a lot of boats that had been on the market for some time have now sold and there isn't so much in their place. I had four 'shortlisted' boats against my requirements - albeit they weren't everyday ones - plus one or two more that were close. Right now I don't think I would have one to look at. Feeling pleased I managed to get one of those four; even if it was the one without a back cabin ☹️. Although in truth it is far better suited to the families requirements than the others.

JP

Tyler Wilson are now doing a "Northwhich Trader Replica" (complete with superfluous 'h').

So are they copying an R.W. Davis, a Barry Hawkins or an XR&D Northwich Trader?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=298476

That shell has been for sale for a long time.

I like the R W Davis Northwich Traders as far as boats that are (or maybe aren't) based on the lines of a particular type of historic boat and feel obliged to apply fake rivets to make the point go. There are a couple near me and I believe there are only about 30 of them in total.

JP

That shell has been for sale for a long time.

I like the R W Davis Northwich Traders as far as boats that are (or maybe aren't) based on the lines of a particular type of historic boat and feel obliged to apply fake rivets to make the point go. There are a couple near me and I believe there are only about 30 of them in total.

JP

So do I, they are very handsome boats. The only thing I find wrong is their pretension to be a copy of something which never existed.

I'd far rather own one than say a Hudson, were I in the market for a well engineered modern boat.

So do I, they are very handsome boats. The only thing I find wrong is their pretension to be a copy of something which never existed.

I'd far rather own one than say a Hudson, were I in the market for a well engineered modern boat.

Even I can agree that Davis' boats are prettier than Hudson's. I just couldn't afford one, but could afford a Hudson. I'll probably always have a Hudson now, more than likely the one I have!

So is David Schweizer's boat still for sale if there is this desperate shortage of boats? I'm happy to see such a shortage as when we sell our boat I just know it will be snapped up and we'll even make a profit!

Yes it is. Had a few viewings, but no takers. Link here:- http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/helvetia-52ft-narrowboat-for-sale/

Edited by David Schweizer

I remain very surprised...

Me too, about DS's boat.

Also surprised I got my phone to work with camera - a Youtube video showed me the way, as Olympus's instructions are somewhat vague. Thanks for that! So now I have a remote control 'cable' for my camera. There is a delay, it's not as quick as the old cable release, but I'll learn to judge the moment. The idea is that when the camera is on the tripod I can fire it without touching it.