Oi! Slow down! Or not . . . .

Rooffythehirer

Featured Posts

Surely if you place your pins in poor ground then you are not pinning your boat well? And are passing craft expected to know the condition of the ground?

CONSIDER others?

Particularly those poor "mimsers" hanging on to their boats as best they can as you leave/approach a lock?

Edited by metanoia

The fact is, no matter how well you pin a boat, if the ground those pins are in is cr@p, they are likely to pop out when a boat passes.

I take this into consideration when passing moored boats. Others need to start doing the same.

No matter how hard you try, you will not find an excuse for ignorance, stupidity and speeding.

Surely if you place your pins in poor ground then you are not pinning your boat well? And are passing craft expected to know the condition of the ground?

I am also - in your vernacular - a "mimser" because as a single hander I find it safer to tie fore and aft when people like you charge past when I'm trying to work a lock alone

Not sure what you are saying here, are people overtaking you and nipping into the lock while you take too long tie fore and aft. smile.png

Well, that's down to experience. All I can say is, I consider these issues when passing moored boats. Perhaps from now on, you will too.

CONSIDER others?

Particularly those poor "mimsers" hanging on to their boats as best they can as you leave/approach a lock?

I don't get you. Anyone approaching a lock is going to wait behind you, aren't they? (If it was us meeting a single hander we would offer to assist through the lock) and anyone leaving the lock would hardly be going fast enough to cause a problem. Maybe it would be better to use your centre line on a bollard anyway?

I don't get you. Anyone approaching a lock is going to wait behind you, aren't they? (If it was us meeting a single hander we would offer to assist through the lock) and anyone leaving the lock would hardly be going fast enough to cause a problem. Maybe it would be better to use your centre line on a bollard anyway?

Centre line on a busy lock maybe - but I rarely leave my boat for long like that in case someone DOES tear past. Better safe than sorry.......

You may have no choice the ground conditions may be poor all around not just in one small patch.

No you can't know what the ground conditions are in your passing boat, soooo slow down just in case.

I read the article with interest and relief, it was good to have a dose of common sense. No I'm not saying its OK to tear along with no thought for those you are passing but it is the responsibility of the boater to moor the boat securely and that includes selecting a mooring with good ground. Of course someone in the act of mooring especially a single hander needs extra consideration.

To summarise

Pass with consideration

Moor as if people won't

Top Cat

• Greenie 2

Anyway the point is that a happy medium is in order. The passing boater should go at a reasonable speed for the circumstances, and the moored boater should ensure that his boat is tied up as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

Over Christmas we passed a boat moored on pins. At tickover, as usual, but then we have a big prop, a big draft and hence tend to move a lot of water. Despite being at tickover, shortly after we'd passed a guy popped out all fuming and shouted "Oy! you've pulled my F-ing pin out" (he didn't abbreviate his comment). He was quite correct, we had pulled his pin out (although I didn't notice it copulating at the time). However as we passed I noted the boat moving a good 6 feet before the mooring rope pulled taught. With that much momentum built up it was inevitable that his pin would get pulled out. A passing swan would probably have done it! I was really tempted to stop and explain why his pin had pulled out and how he might prevent it happening again, but in the event we had better things to do and it was Christmas.

I bet his rope was tied to the very top of the pin too!

I read the article with interest and relief, it was good to have a dose of common sense. No I'm not saying its OK to tear along with no thought for those you are passing but it is the responsibility of the boater to moor the boat securely and that includes selecting a mooring with good ground. Of course someone in the act of mooring especially a single hander needs extra consideration.

To summarise

Pass with consideration

Moor as if people won't

Top Cat

Good words TC!

And to those who have accused me of being inconsiderate, please read my original post again, where I said we always slow down. But the extent to which we slow down will depend on the conditions at the time as judged by our not inconsiderable experience.

if your pins are 3ft long and you are secure you won't move backwards and forwards, but it still don't stop the boat from rocking from bank to canal as you steal the water from under it at speed. i have had drawers shoot open with speeders because the boat has listed that much.

Where does one buy 3ft mooring stakes? I never see adequate adequate mooring ironmongery for sale in yer average chandelier.

That's the problem and its getting worse. The pins 5 years ago had a ring near the top, today they have moved them down so now there is 4" wasted above the ring.

Yes they do, because the speed limit is 8 knots and there is no culture of slowing down on the Thames. Nor is there any need to as there is no 'draw' effect when passing a boat in deep and wide water.

That depends on the size of the boat. A narrowboat won't have much draw in deep water but some of the big passenger boats passing at 8 knots can do - I've been chucked around at my previous mooring by passing passenger boats. Also even the wash of relatively small boats passing at 8 knots can hit quite hard.

However, if you moor on the Thames you just have to get used to it, and people moored on canals should do the same and expect some movement within reason. There are far too many people on the canals whose aversion to movement suggests that they might be better off on dry land.

• Greenie 1

That's the problem and its getting worse. The pins 5 years ago had a ring near the top, today they have moved them down so now there is 4" wasted above the ring.

Yes exactly.

AND the boat next to me has his lines tied to the rings, with the rings sticking 6" out above the ground...

if your pins are 3ft long and you are secure you won't move backwards and forwards, but it still don't stop the boat from rocking from bank to canal as you steal the water from under it at speed. i have had drawers shoot open with speeders because the boat has listed that much.

No matter how well a boat is tied/sprung, if a boat passes at any great speed, it will move.

It has to move as the water is taken (displacement) from underneath the hull.

Pass slowly and the movement is gentle. However pass at a fair lick, and the movement can be quite violent.

Rob....

• Greenie 1

No matter how well a boat is tied/sprung, if a boat passes at any great speed, it will move.

It has to move as the water is taken (displacement) from underneath the hull.

Pass slowly and the movement is gentle. However pass at a fair lick, and the movement can be quite violent.

Rob....

Simples innit :)

A bit of courtesy and consideration is all that's needed.

Rog

Edited by dogless

I find watching the movement of moored boats a reasonable way to gauge if I am slow enough. A boat moves slowly towards me as I approach, stops as it's moorings tighten, then moves back as I pass. Slow and gentle a matter of inches each way. Then one will move, continue to move, gather speed then the rope rises from the water and the boat is finally jerked to a halt causing the stern to move out until it too is eventually restrained. Then the whole thing floats back a couple of meters revealing the boarding plank in the water before once again throwing it's momentum against a pin. It doesn't matter how slow you pass, that badly moored boat will jerk at it's pins to a greater or lesser degree whilst well moored boats hardly move. Fortunately there is rarely anyone aboard the worst of them to shout, presumably fourteen days not up yet.

We spring fore and aft, but it doesn't stop the boat listing when some numpty hammers past stealing the water from under your hull . Appreciate that some boats , usually trad's have a greater draft , and have found that because of this they past with care . We pass on tick over slowing down steadily , not at the last moment ( husband forgets a bit sometimes, luckily he doesn't drive very often ) . I have in my minds eye , someone stood by their cooker with a pan of boiling water in their hand about to pour it into something, so I aim not to ' rock the boat , but there really are so idiots out there . Ok sometimes circumstances can be against a slow tick over and you have to pop on a bit . Getting husband into Coventry to a and e comes to mind . Sick rabbit in to the vet at Banbury is another ( got cue jumped at Napton that day , not happy made the prat give way to me ) . Generally tickover is best , I know that long lines of moored boats can be a pain , but if your in a hurry , why go boating ? . Bunny

• Greenie 3