Bluewater or Colecraft Bespoke Builds

Featured Posts

There have been a few bad stories about blue water wide beams, although one can never tell whether it was an unreasonable customer or the fault of the builder. I have never heard anything bad about Colecraft. Have a look at this thread but bear in mind it is only 1 side of the story.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62452

Edited by nicknorman

I've seen a Bluewater new build Dutch style barge and it was one of the best I've seen. On the other hand, a friend of mine had a Colecraft narrowboat built and while it was decent enough it was nothing special. The owner thought the same as me and said he wouldn't go back to Colecraft if he ever had another boat built. I don't really understand why people think they're so great?

I've seen a Bluewater new build Dutch style barge and it was one of the best I've seen. On the other hand, a friend of mine had a Colecraft narrowboat built and while it was decent enough it was nothing special. The owner thought the same as me and said he wouldn't go back to Colecraft if he ever had another boat built. I don't really understand why people think they're so great?

I think that to many of us, ColeCraft = a sound product from a reliable company, or vice versa if you will, rather than great. I have seen eye-catching boats from Stowe Hill, from Mel Davis, from Steve Hudson, but only pleasant-looking ones from CC.

Edited by Athy

I am on my second colecraft shelled boat though not fitted by colecraft, I have also owned a 70 foot Hudson. I loved my Hudson and its build quality but colecraft are a great shell just remember they are the ford mondeo of the waterways and do not pretend to be anything else, they are run of the mill ordinary but that is not always a bad thing. I would have another colecraft and I would have another Hudson or for that matter another Johnie Pinder or harborough or swanline I have enjoyed all my boats. I have never had a springer but I would buy one if I was in the market for another boat and one came up. There is far too much snobbery around who built what just buy the one you feel suits you and enjoy it. A far more important consideration is which Cassette bog to fit.

Tim

I am on my second colecraft shelled boat though not fitted by colecraft, I have also owned a 70 foot Hudson. I loved my Hudson and its build quality but colecraft are a great shell just remember they are the ford mondeo of the waterways and do not pretend to be anything else, they are run of the mill ordinary but that is not always a bad thing. I would have another colecraft and I would have another Hudson or for that matter another Johnie Pinder or harborough or swanline I have enjoyed all my boats. I have never had a springer but I would buy one if I was in the market for another boat and one came up. There is far too much snobbery around who built what just buy the one you feel suits you and enjoy it. A far more important consideration is which Cassette bog to fit.

Tim

Thetford of course

Looking back on our time with a boat built on Colecraft shell I would just add they are indeed good but not perfect as some might have you believe.

The Dog House had two annoying issues. First was the fit of the side hatches which was not good. I have seen much better fitting side hatches on other boats, particularly on something like an Aqualine. The result was they were quite draughty in winter.

Secondly was the drainage channels for the rear deck boards/engine covers. These where slightly higher at the rear than the front. This meant the rain water had an annoying tendency to run towards the front and drip into the engine bay rather than exiting over the outside of the boat.

Neither were a 'deal breaker' but if I was having a boar built by them these would be something I would be having a specific discussion with them about.

Edited by MJG

I do not own a Colecraft but know a couple of people that do. Their painting is the biggest issue. The hull paint is not very thick and the hull is rusting after 6 months. Definitely pay the extra for 2 pack if you are having a new hull built. The cabin paint is also very thin but at least that is not always a boat out job if you look after it.

I do not own a Colecraft but know a couple of people that do. Their painting is the biggest issue. The hull paint is not very thick and the hull is rusting after 6 months. Definitely pay the extra for 2 pack if you are having a new hull built. The cabin paint is also very thin but at least that is not always a boat out job if you look after it.

I have a colecraft shell that was painted by them and 4 years on the only rust is where I have damaged the paint detective.gif

Only my own opinion.

We got to know, a little bit, a couple who had had a very wide beam boat built by Colecraft. The boat it self was/seemed to be very well built, they were self fit outing.

Now my opinion. IT WAS SO DAMMED UGLY!

Interior was also going to end up being very nice. Thankfully you can't see the outside from the inside.

Martyn

Only my own opinion.

We got to know, a little bit, a couple who had had a very wide beam boat built by Colecraft. The boat it self was/seemed to be very well built, they were self fit outing.

Now my opinion. IT WAS SO DAMMED UGLY!

Interior was also going to end up being very nice. Thankfully you can't see the outside from the inside.

Martyn

It may well have been ugly but it will be indescribably more comfortable than any narrowboat and handle better and be more stable and I doubt if twill be as ugly as most narrowboats mine included.

Tim

It may well have been ugly but it will be indescribably more comfortable than any narrowboat and handle better .......

Tim

Two years ago I went out on the Thames from Limehouse in my narrow boat and a mate followed in his 60'x12' Colecraft. His boat was thrown around like a cork, belongings all over the floor, people on the boat were sick. My boat suffered absolutely nothing. Why do people make these generalised statements?

Two years ago I went out on the Thames from Limehouse in my narrow boat and a mate followed in his 60'x12' Colecraft. His boat was thrown around like a cork, belongings all over the floor, people on the boat were sick. My boat suffered absolutely nothing. Why do people make these generalised statements?

I only quoted from my own personal experience and boat ownership. My widebeam was much better and more stable especialy on tidal waters than any of my narrowboats have been including my full length heavy Hudson. I cannot comment on others experience obviously mine is only first hand.

Tim

We have gone with Bluewater for our narrow boat build. We have visited the boatyard (and others) on several occasions during open days and alike, looked at the build quality over a number of years and compared joinery etc. with other builders, have been impressed with the workmanship at all stages of build. We also read the negative stories within this forum and decided not to make a decision based on that alone, but to take them in context with what we had seen and been told by other owners. Take the opportunity to speak to customers that have had boats built by your shortlist builders, we did and found that was a great way to find out unbiased opinions, our experience so far is very positive.

My advice is to know what you want and research as much as possible, so you know a little of what you will be talking about if you don't already, this forum has a great source of material for that.

Good luck with your project

Edited by cmayflower

It may well have been ugly but it will be indescribably more comfortable than any narrowboat and handle better and be more stable and I doubt if twill be as ugly as most narrowboats mine included.

Tim

I don't doubt it would be more stable and handle better, but, it really was ugly. Really ugly. I mean ugly.

Our Narrowboat, is beautiful. Until we get another, which is unlikely.

I don't doubt it would be more stable and handle better, but, it really was ugly. Really ugly. I mean ugly.

Our Narrowboat, is beautiful. Until we get another, which is unlikely.

Now do you mean Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely Ugly?

Tim

By their nature, so-called widebeam narrowboats are not beautiful, though their sheer size can be impfessive.

But you don't live on the outside of the boat. I'm sure the owners are not the slightest bit worried about the external aesthetics as they relax in their lovely 11-foot wide lounge.