Bluewater or Colecraft Bespoke Builds

Featured Posts

Yes, widebeams can be ugly, but then so can narrowboats. I wouldn't say my 12ft widebeam is beautiful, but in my opinion it's certainly not ugly and its proportions are more aesthetically pleasing to me than many narrowboats I see.

IMG-20130511-00347_zps62e164d7.jpg

utf-8BUmVhZGluZy0yMDEzMDQxOC0wMDIwMS5qcG

DSC_2949-1.jpg

Bath%20and%20North%20East%20Somerset-201

Yes, appropriate for narrow locks, but NOT appropriate for anything else, least of all aesthetics! There's nothing "natural" about the proportions of a narrowboat compared to a widebeam.

I agree that Liverpool Boats have done a pretty good job with the looks of the front end and the cabin on a wideboat. Certainly much better than some other builders. But I notice you haven't included any pictures of the back end. These never seem to work on a wideboat for me, whether the ghastly square end you see on so many widebeam narrowboats, or something approximating to semi circular.

Even FMC didn't seem to get that right. I can't say I really like this either

oF5tat.jpg

I agree that Liverpool Boats have done a pretty good job with the looks of the front end and the cabin on a wideboat. Certainly much better than some other builders. But I notice you haven't included any pictures of the back end. These never seem to work on a wideboat for me, whether the ghastly square end you see on so many widebeam narrowboats, or something approximating to semi circular.

Even FMC didn't seem to get that right. I can't say I really like this either

oF5tat.jpg

The (in my eyes) nicest widebeam stern (apart from real DB's) is the stern of "Tranquil Rose", I can't do links on my phone, but if you go to their website you can see for your self.

www.tranquilrose.co.uk/gallery.php

Peter.

Its not the hull that doesn't work with a 'wide beam narrowboat' its the top, if it had nice wide side decks, say 12 inches or so you could work it so much better (and safer) Having all that space is brilliant but why not use it to get rid of the hopeless gunwhales of a narrowboat? It would also make the arc of the roof less broad and why copy the tumblehome of a narrowboat? All that steel, all that work, with a bit of thought the whole thing could be so much better.