removing the stove

Pennie

Featured Posts

So I'm at the stage of taking the stove out to rebuild the hearth and install my new boatman yay

But how do I actually do this, the flue is sort of wedging the stove into place despite the stove being released from the hearth. So what do I do first to relinquish my stove from the flue

That sounds like a plan. I assumed I may have to do something from the chimney

Also what would the purple odorless slightly oily fluid in the back boiler? Some sort of coolant I'm assuming. Beautiful colour whatever it is.

If the old stove is scrap and cast iron a few blows on its flat panels with a club hammer and it will break up and collapse into bits, bits light enough to carry out in yer pockets , this will also release the flue pipe.

pennies stove was if i remember was a strange beast. the purple liquid could be 10 year antifreeze which ford had brought in for its vehicles. if the flue has been in for many years it could be a so in so to remove, john and i had some real fun and games with one late last year good luck pennie

Actually once the flue is off its not too heavy and is free from everything else already. It's quite light, compared to the new boatman and can be lifted and jiffled around with the but if give the flue is allowing for currently.

Will be cleaned up a bit, glass repaired and put on eBay as a retro collectors item; if the advertising material and posters sell for a far bit, imagine what the stove would go for that collector when searching on the Internet hasn't shown any others for sale or that have sold. Well I can hope anyway.

We're currently camping in the front room at a friends because even when the stove wasn't part out it was so cold even when on 24/7 it was uncomfortable and all the soft furnishings felt sodden.electric radiators on in the stern sort of took the edge off but couldn't compete with how cold everywhere else was.

Hoped I could have done the stove before this week ended and the cold set in but it's taken me a week longer than I hoped to get the fireboard.

A torgem torglow 1c

Hi,

Best thing is to 'sectionalise' the old stove (ie. break it into small parts) with a suitable application of 'BF&I' (as per Bizzard's suggestion). Wear ear/eye protection).

You will need a large hammer and a 'coal' chisel to get into the joints of the Torgem.

Carefully chip away flue/stove top seal.

Best of luck and wear protection!.

Leo.

pennies stove was if i remember was a strange beast. the purple liquid could be 10 year antifreeze which ford had brought in for its vehicles. if the flue has been in for many years it could be a so in so to remove, john and i had some real fun and games with one late last year good luck pennie

The Ford 10 year antifreeze I have had in 2 cars and 1 boat is a reddy orange colour.

Edited to change words not found in any dictionary

Edited by cuthound

I can't see any huge advantage in suggestions about breaking up old stove, if (s Pennie says), it is light enough to lift out.

If you end up with the flue pipe still immovable, you will not be able to install the new stove on to it, will you?

Whilst it is true that the vast majority of flues will simply pass into or through a roof chimney collar, and hence able to be drawn out once any cement,packing, or sealant is removed, it can't be guaranteed.

Our last boat actually had the roof plate and flue tube fabricated as a single part, welded together, and the whole ensemble had to be unbolted, and drawn out upwards. Hopefully you haven't got this, but just to say "never assume"!

Assuming straight flue:

Free flue/stove joint.

Put a workmate or similar support either side of stove.

Free roof collar.

Lever flue up a few inches. Various methods.

Place deck board across the workmates between the flue & the stove

Lower the flue on to the board.

The flue is now supported by the board.

Remove the stove sideways.

Remove the board & lower the flue to the floor.

The Ford 10 year antifreeze I have had in 2 cars and 1 boat is a reddy orange colour.

Edited to change words not found in any dictionary

thats five year antifreeze first used by vw if my memory is correct i have it in my boat the ultra violet stuff was a surprise to us only ever seen it in fords

Update. So far so good. All I need now is to buy a flue as this one is badly corroded at the top, too thin anyway and crimped rather than a solid tube.

To midland chandlers I head (well online and fast delivery) don't think I could manage a flue on my back cycling anywhere yet alone from Willington to sawley)

thats five year antifreeze first used by vw if my memory is correct i have it in my boat the ultra violet stuff was a surprise to us only ever seen it in fords

Not according to the containers that it comes in. It clearly states " up to 10 years".

Update. So far so good. All I need now is to buy a flue as this one is badly corroded at the top, too thin anyway and crimped rather than a solid tube.

To midland chandlers I head (well online and fast delivery) don't think I could manage a flue on my back cycling anywhere yet alone from Willington to sawley)

Hi Pennie

Sounds like we are working on the same stuff. Our flue didn't lift out v easy to had to unbolt the whole collar too. We took it all out last weekend and I have spent today smashing out the hearth and surround to build a new one!

FIs your flue completely straight? We had a straight flue before, but when we rebuild the surround according to new regs and distances the Flue will definitely need to be bent to allow for enough space between stove and combustibles etc. Have you had this also?

...Seriously considering moving the stove out of the corner to the centre of boat so there will be less stuff around it, and enable us to have a straight flue. No idea how expensive this will be?!

Good luck - really happy to share pics/tips between us directly if you like?? I'm terrified!!

Zoe

Edited by Zoeb

Good luck to you too. We have sure 'chosen' the wrong time of year and the wrong week to do this but needs must and all.

Mine is a straight flue but used to be on an angle, now the new stove will be further from the wall it will actually straighten it uptight more which is a plus. I forgot to take a before picture but I sure I have one from the sale documents before I got her so the new and old can be compared.

Bums! Flue or something isn't quite right as we smoked out the inside of the boat. Good thing we can put this fire out by closing the vents. Will work put what went wrong in the morning. Too exhausted now, need to relax and sleep soon

Bums! Flue or something isn't quite right as we smoked out the inside of the boat. Good thing we can put this fire out by closing the vents. Will work put what went wrong in the morning. Too exhausted now, need to relax and sleep soon

Sorry to hear you have a leak.

Doing a smoke test would help to find leaks before you light the fire.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p46046

If you are not sure how to do a 'stove smoke test' do a google or get a HETAS flue person to have a look.

Stove leaks as you know leak CO into the boat. Did your CO alarm go off?

Not according to the containers that it comes in. It clearly states " up to 10 years".

oh well whilst down in the engine room today had a look at my 20 litre container and it said 5 years on mine must be different stuff

www.honestjohn.co.uk › Back Room › Technical matters

then found this on the net to confuse matters its purple or is it pink who knows

Edited by peterboat