Which cordless drill?

gary955

Featured Posts

The thing is you must ensure that nicads are almost completely discharged before recharging them, otherwise they suffer from "memory effect", where they " remember " the partially discharged capacity as their full capacity.

Interesting article about that, if you're interested: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/memory_myth_or_fact

Tony

Interesting article about that, if you're interested: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/memory_myth_or_fact

Tony

Interesting article. I wonder why battery manufacturers/suppliers don't tell their customers how to look after their batteries more often? Cynic in me thinks they prefer to sell more batteries than have satisfied customers!

I have a 10 year old iPod, which uses Lithium Ion batteries which has been used almost daily, and recharged well before it goes flat. It still plays for about 8 hours non stop, compared to 12 hours when new.

...So 2 batteries is a bit of a waste of money if you don't have a lot of work planned. ...

Given you normally get two batteries for little more than one (but often pay for the third) and that a spare/replacement often costs as much as a new drill.... Might as well have two and get another year out of it after the batteries are half dead.

As said, diy use only, but fairly often, my NiCad DeWalt is five years old and the batteries are pretty good, typically left full, stored behind the sofa.

Daniel

Given you normally get two batteries for little more than one (but often pay for the third) and that a spare/replacement often costs as much as a new drill.... Might as well have two and get another year out of it after the batteries are half dead.

As said, diy use only, but fairly often, my NiCad DeWalt is five years old and the batteries are pretty good, typically left full, stored behind the sofa.

Daniel

My original DeWalt 12v NiCd batteries (2 off) did both last over 200 recharge cycles (just over 2 years for me) before dying.

My replacement from e-bay was a good example of getting what you pay for, it is now about 18 months old and when recharged is fine, but will self discharge in about a day. This has had nothing like the use the original batteries had.

Probably buy a new Li Drill rather than another battery.

I have been interested reading other peoples favourite drill, so far no one has mentioned Metabo

(AFAIK not sold by any of the DIY stores) In my view just about the best Brand in power tools (both battery and mains)

My drill is the Metabo BST 18 plus, about 15 years old. it was used commercially for about 5 years then enthusiastically on boat fitting and odd jobs since.

I have found the longevity and robustness of all the Metabo tools I have owned to be exceptional (mains and battery drills, circular saw and hand planer)

I recognise that for professional or daily use a good quality cordless drill is the way to go.

For odd jobs about the house or on the boat (when at its home mooring) a mains electric drill has a great deal to commend it -- the batteries don't ever run out.

Sorry if that takes us too far away from the OP.

I must say I basically never use a mains powered drill. The only exception is for masonary as I could get a (well used/abused) ex-hire sds unit of eBay for staggering little money and need it infrequently enough that arranging an extension lead becomes manageable.

Obviously there are pros and cons but my 18v cordless has enough grunt to do basically anything and unlike an angle grinder for instance you are very rarely running it for hard for hours.

Daniel

I think something overlooked is charge time. Cheapies take 4 hours or more but pro stuff takes well under the hour. Check the spec.

Good point. I bought an Aldi 12V jobbie a while back when I was away from base and needed one for a job. For the price it's not bad (not a lot of grunt though) however it takes 9 HOURS to charge!

By comparison the DeWalt 18V Li-ion takes less than an hour.

I would suggest the choice of drill would depend on the work it will be used for

A 12v would be ok for occasional domestic use, drilling holes in wood or thin steel, but absolute rubbish if you want to use it as a power screwdriver for any length of time i.e. screwing sheets of ply to line a loft or something. They just don't have the torque and this will eat the power (maybe even cook the motor)

A decent make 18v would be the best choice but a waste of a good tool if it isn't used very often.

Most 12v drills are not very good with masonry, 18v is better but this is only hammer action; to do the job properly you need an SDS drill. However for the odd few holes i.e. fixing up a shelf or something an 18v hammer action will probably do the job.

I have used drills professionally for years and would not bother again with 12v or 14.4v even for domestic use, but then I am the sort of person who would happily spend the cash for quality.

note some drills will not hold small drill bits under 2mm so if you need to do delicate work you will need to read the drill specs.

most keyless chucks will only hold max 10mm bits some will go to 13mm but very few would go larger.

So again I suggest that you first work out what type of jobs the drill will do; then pick a decent branded make; then find the unit in that range that suits.

The best I had performance /reliability wise was a 14.4volt Milwaukee Only problem was charger input was 115 volts as mine was American but I think they are available in the UK as one of the motorcycle race teams are sponsored by them

Milwaukee are definitely available in the UK.

When my van was broken into a couple of years ago by those delightful travelling folk, I replaced my trusty 24v Bosch with a Milwaukee set.

An 18v combi drill and an 18v SDS with 2 x batteries that are interchange able and a 240v charger unit.

The Milwaukee SDS is superb, light weight enough to drill holes through walls one handed above your head, and powerful enough to do the job

The Combi has more torque than and compact battery drill I have ever used. I would rate it above DeWalt or Makita

Not cheap to buy though

I recognise that for professional or daily use a good quality cordless drill is the way to go.

For odd jobs about the house or on the boat (when at its home mooring) a mains electric drill has a great deal to commend it -- the batteries don't ever run out.

Sorry if that takes us too far away from the OP.

I did wonder if an electric drill would be lighter than a battery powered one

I don't know which is worse, that normous club foot of battery on battery drills that gets in the way or the trailing lead on a mains drill. unsure.png I like my Stanley hand drill.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

One should stand at the door to B&Q and trade the vouchers with someone for cash - easily done. Then put a load more cash to the bit you now have, and get a Metabo drill. These are the only ones which are continuously rated, unlike Dewalt which are now yellow crap, and bosh - green crap. Hltachi and Makita are worth a look at but they pay Metabo for the battery patent, so I go back to what I originally said, get a Metabo drill - It will be for life. They do a full range but they do not come cheap, however they are really really good. I now have a battery powered Angle grinder, jig saw and circular saw, all metabo and they are all really good. The angle grinder is just like using a mains one, so are the other two but the angle grinder is really impressive, they are due to bring out an 9inch battery powered grinder which I am now saving up for.

--

cheers Ian Mac

I've got a couple of Metabo corded drills (an SDS Max breaker and a core drill) which are great bits of kit. I wish I'd thought about the brand when I replaced my 18v cordless combi drill last April, but the Makita one I ended up with is frankly brilliant (although way outside the OP's budget):

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp481rtj-18v-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-brushless/2528f