Possible emergency Stubbing Wharf, Hebden Bridge, Rochdale Canal!

Peter X

Featured Posts

I'm not sure if this belongs in Stoppages yet, but I would advise against anyone trying to navigate at least this bit of the Rochdale at the moment and the mods may wish to move the topic?

We are moored next to the Stubbing Wharf pub just to west of Hebden Bridge, just to west of Lock 11.

We just noticed the canal water is pouring over the towpath and down the road below it a foot deep, all around the pub, torrent would not be too strong a word. Moored boats have risen up, but probably not so much that any are in danger of floating onto the towpath, because the excess water is going away. I would imagine that water is pouring over the lock gates all the way down the Calder valley, and fear that the towpath here may be getting partly washed away creating a breach.

I've phoned CRT's emergency number and they're aware of this.

A passer by has just told us that there is flooding in Hebden Bridge, with cars underwater.

The Aire is as high as it's been for 8 years and rising fast.

There should be a path and 8 steps visible down to the river.

Leeds also flooding.

https://mobile.twitter.com/timsmithyorks/status/680681936369651712/video/1

Centre of Hebden Bridge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_wCHwCwdqJ/

Edited by matty40s

I have just spoken to my Aunt, who lives near Brearley Lane Bridge. From her house you have a great view up the valley to Mytholmroyd. Thankfully she is safe, and dry.

However she says that this is the worst flooding she has EVER seen. She has lived there all her life, so has seen it all before, many times.

There are now helicopters in the area looking for those who are stranded in their homes. There are severe floods from Sowerby Bridge through to Todmorden.

Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, and Todmorden are once again under water.

Looking at the pictures of flooding at Sowerby Bridge, with cars almost submerged, it looks as if the Wharf, and Shire Cruisers, may be completely under water. I only hope that someone has managed to loosen the mooring ropes of the boats, including the whole hire fleet. My boat is at present out of what is normally the water, but of course is therefore not attached to anything. Just crossing my fingers and feeling sorry for all the homes and businesses which have been devastated.

The rain actually stopped an hour ago and the water level here at Stubbing Wharf has gone down 2" since, no more ducks swimming on the towpath, which is now a mix of puddles and mud, except that there is a definite breach. About 6 feet of towpath is washed away, but the coping stones at the canal edge seem to be still there. Lots of water still running away down the road into the River Calder, and the main road alongside it is underwater.

We're planning to move on cautiously a bit, if only to get out of this pound in case the breach is enough for it to become a stoppage.

I couldn't get across the flood to Stubbing Wharf, but here are some pictures from elsewhere in Hebden Bridge. In the town the canal level is well up, and the towpath has disappeared. Water is running across the towpath and into the park.

The last image is a screengrab from the EA website for the river level just above Hebden Bridge, showing that the river is well above its highest ever recorded level.

And I drove through the down in the small hours this morning, in the dip between the two peaks, and apart from the continuous rain I had no problem.

post-7909-0-35142400-1451143163_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-23003300-1451143191_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-78489500-1451143212_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-87158600-1451143741_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-21138200-1451143771_thumb.png

Edited by David Mack

The rain actually stopped an hour ago and the water level here at Stubbing Wharf has gone down 2" since, no more ducks swimming on the towpath, which is now a mix of puddles and mud, except that there is a definite breach. About 6 feet of towpath is washed away, but the coping stones at the canal edge seem to be still there. Lots of water still running away down the road into the River Calder, and the main road alongside it is underwater.

We're planning to move on cautiously a bit, if only to get out of this pound in case the breach is enough for it to become a stoppage.

This is what happened a short distance west of Stubbing Wharf in the June 2012 floods.

0394.jpg

Just up the road, the KWVR seems to be under water: http://news.kwvr.co.uk/category/kwvr/

Last time this happened proved very expensive for the railway.

Rumours are that they diverted the brook to ensure that the engine shed floor was washed clean, and the water-filled inspection pit will be heated and used as a Jacuzzi.

See that first picture in David Mack's post #7? We were moored on the towpath at the bottom left corner of it on Thursday night, and that green boat (Long Dog) was across the cut like that then. We walked round, pulled it in and tied it up as best we could with its limited bow line, but apparently not well enough!

Perhaps a little rashly, we went on half a mile just now, past another breach where water was flowing down from the canal into the river, and are now moored just below a breach where the river flows into the canal. We think we're safe here for the night, and that the level should go down a bit tonight, then we'll see what's up in the morning and decide whether to go on.

See that first picture in David Mack's post #7? We were moored on the towpath at the bottom left corner of it on Thursday night, and that green boat (Long Dog) was across the cut like that then. We walked round, pulled it in and tied it up as best we could with its limited bow line, but apparently not well enough!

Perhaps a little rashly, we went on half a mile just now, past another breach where water was flowing down from the canal into the river, and are now moored just below a breach where the river flows into the canal. We think we're safe here for the night, and that the level should go down a bit tonight, then we'll see what's up in the morning and decide whether to go on.

Just seen a picture on London Boaters Facebook of a blue boat across the cut with its bow on the towpath at Hebden, hope all sorts itself out for you.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

It's awful looking at these pictures. I am usually there at this time of year and I've never seen anything like it. Where I usually park is under ten feet of water. I'm trying to contact friends but no responses as yet. Two days respite then it all starts again. Good look to forum members up there.

We're safe enough where we are for the night and will evaluate our options in the morning, but we know the river is flowing into the canal 20 yards upstream of us, and out again in two places about 400 and 800 yards downstream, all quite drastically and in places it's not supposed to. So while at the moment navigation is potentially hazardous because a boat could be swept into a breach, there is a worry that when the river goes back to normal this section between locks 11 and 12 may end up much lower than it should be, and turn into a stoppage for the opposite reason. We might go on to Todmorden then turn back, but does anyone know how navigable the canal is above and below us? In particular do other pounds have breaches?

Looking at the pictures of flooding at Sowerby Bridge, with cars almost submerged, it looks as if the Wharf, and Shire Cruisers, may be completely under water. I only hope that someone has managed to loosen the mooring ropes of the boats, including the whole hire fleet. My boat is at present out of what is normally the water, but of course is therefore not attached to anything. Just crossing my fingers and feeling sorry for all the homes and businesses which have been devastated.

Video of Sowerby Bridge flooding:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TixL-S1_9n0

Aerial view

https://vimeo.com/150064160

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I feel for anyone moored on a river up there at the moment. I've lived on rivers in flood for 3 winters in a row. Fortunately last winter and this winter (so far) have been fine.

A flooded canal towpath really isn't that much of an issue if you're on a boat unless it rises 2ft over. Anyway, those securely moored on boats are the lucky ones in a flood, it's the people in flooded houses who suffer the most.

Edited by blackrose

Our boat is green and we're west of Hebden Bridge. New Zealand Pinot Noir and French Brie & Wensleydale Blue + biscuits now whilst we ride out this torrent.

Scuba divers welcome to dine with us!

Wensleydale Blue, my favourite cheese. Just so difficult to get down South.

Rochdale Canal

Starts At: Lock 1

Ends At: Lock 36 Visitor Mooring

Sunday 27 December 2015 09:45 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original message:

Due to flooding and related problems, the canal is currently closed between Summit and Sowerby Bridge.

We will provide a further update when available.

But is the Stubbing Wharf pub flooded?

But is the Stubbing Wharf pub flooded?

Yes, at least today. We're moored outside it again on our way back, having gone up through lock 12 today, run aground in mid-channel just beyond it, and reversed back through it and turned around. All that took us ages, because the flood dumped a lot of silt making the gates very difficult to open or close.

The canal level has gone down to what I suppose is a normal level, revealing a big hole in the towpath, but the side by the water has held, the flood went over it. The river has gone down a few metres revealing the towpath below lock 12 to be badly damaged but holding the canal in. We know that there's a boat across the canal with one end on the towpath near lock 14 and some other problem at lock 19 in Todmorden. It wouldn't surprise me if there are several other serious problems all down the valley leading to CRT's stoppage notice for such a long stretch.

This afternoon Foxy and I walked into Hebden Bridge looking for supplies, but could only get milk because almost every shop in the village was flooded several feet deep. They were all too busy clearing up to be able to open, and some areas don't have their electricity back yet.

We hope to make gradual progress downstream in the next few days.

We only got back down through lock 12 with a lot of help, not least from a man who turned up in a wetsuit and used our boathook to clear something so the top gates could close. We couldn't close the bottom gates fully as we left, so that might mean it needs attention before the lock can be used.