Boat sunk - posted on Facebook

bigcol

Featured Posts

(some words from Facebook...)
Wendy Marks That looks like a good boat? Dosen't anyone know who it belongs too? does it have a number on it that can be trace
Arthur Lac Not good for the owner frown emoticon
Sheridan Whitehead Very sad.
Steve Fox Really sad. Can I ask how you managed to ride that push bike on water and take a photo ?
Arthur Lac Location would be good so maybe someone here might know the boat or owner
Wendy Marks yes I think as boat lovers we need to try and do our best to locate the owner. If he is unable to raise it then I am sure a deal might be done by someone fit and able
Lynda Drewery Is it on the Macc?
David Roberts There is wood on the tow path that looks like it came from the boat and it looks to me that the hatch slide is open. ?
Whatever the situation it is very sad, especially at this time of year.
Andrew Butterworth hire a big pump be up in half a day
Andrew Butterworth Where is it located
Wendy Marks yes I bet it is some old person who might not have health, or funds to lift it. propably been broken into as well. Nothing that cant be sorted out
AJ Lamen Updated the status up top of the photos.
Andrew Butterworth If no one knows location no one can help
Roly Tree I guess they already know as its had a ratchet strap attached between it and the trees to stop it sliding further.
Wendy Marks anyone could of put that there though. Sounds like the sort of thing a old bloke might do. My dad struggled with his old boat before he died. It was me that had to go out and rescue it before that went down. Fortunately I managed to get some help and d...See More
Andrew Fury Redmond If anyone knows the owner i volunteer to help raise it and make it water tight/secure im local and can help working with narrowboats for a long time and im fit and able

It is sad. Presumably it has taken on water slowly and the bilge pump has failed to do its thing. As an aside, can somebody tell me whether a bilge pump(s) should run off of the starter battery or the leisure batteries?

Off the leisure batteries that way it wont run down your starter battery which you might need more than your lights. What you cannot do is run a bilge pump through the isolator switch as that defeats the object of a bilge pump. Although some on here will tell that is wrong just to start an argument.

Off the leisure batteries that way it wont run down your starter battery which you might need more than your lights. What you cannot do is run a bilge pump through the isolator switch as that defeats the object of a bilge pump. Although some on here will tell that is wrong just to start an argument.

Or they may say it because they don't agree rather than for the sole purpose of starting an argument. Opinions on the matter other than yours may exist you see.

Bilge pump is ALWAYS run directly, not through isolator. Must have its own inline fuse near the battery though. Better off the cabin batteries that stater - more capacity for one thing.

Thanks, I have an automatic bilge pump which doesn't run through the isolator switch and a manual one which does. However, my leisure batteries do need replacing so I'll do that sooner rather than later, although for the moment my boat sits on the bottom when moored so shouldn't be able to sink.

Or they may say it because they don't agree rather than for the sole purpose of starting an argument. Opinions on the matter other than yours may exist you see.

I'm willing to see both sides of this, but surely if the bilge pump is isolated then it won't work when the boat is not in use, which is when you would most need it to work?

I'm willing to see both sides of this, but surely if the bilge pump is isolated then it won't work when the boat is not in use, which is when you would most need it to work?

Well the counter argument I have heard is that if the pump goes faulty and runs continuously whilst the boat is unattended it will run until it completely drains your batteries. It's just a different point of view, this being the point.

The bilge pump on 'the Dog House' was wired through the isolation switch and I personally would have preferred it not to have been as it happens because if I retuned to the boat after spells of heavy rain there was often a lot to pump out the bilge on my return all in one go.

It is sad. Presumably it has taken on water slowly and the bilge pump has failed to do its thing. As an aside, can somebody tell me whether a bilge pump(s) should run off of the starter battery or the leisure batteries?

A bilge pump should not take much power, so I always advise using whichever is considered the most reliable, and don't forget the inline fuse. With a couple of diodes you could connect the pump so that it could be powered by either battery bank. It's important to make sure that self-draining decks are doing their job and that there are no leaves or grease to prevent float switches and bilge pumps from failing when unattended.

If you are worried by the possibility of an automatic bilge pump flattening your batteries run it off your engine battery, that should only be an automotive type battery (if it isn't then you have the wrong type) and is a lot cheaper to replace than the damage if you sink

Decent solar panels will keep up with a bilge pump in most circumstances even in winter.

When we had only one 68W panel it would push our batteries up from 70% to 100 in a few days with everything isolated. I reckon this would have kept a bilge pump going a very long time if operating intermittently.

looks like one of the old skipton hire boats circa 1970s

Well spotted. It is actually BOWLAND. The boat is actually end of garden and in full view of the householder. It has been down for several weeks and has been strapped to a tree to stop movement into the channel.

George ex nb Alton retired

Well spotted. It is actually BOWLAND. The boat is actually end of garden and in full view of the householder. It has been down for several weeks and has been strapped to a tree to stop movement into the channel.

George ex nb Alton retired

Why would someone leave a boat half sunk for weeks ? Surely the interior/engine will be beyond saving by now?