fire extinguisher

bigcol

Featured Posts

That would always be the insurance Cos 'wriggle room'.

You knowingly retained extinguishers on board that were 'out of date' and did not replace them - sorry about your loss, but we are not paying out.

Ah, thanks DC. So the cheapest route is, after the first 5 years if that's the expiry period, to service at half the cost of replacement just before each BSS inspection. Otherwise, if you find it unacceptable to have 'out of date' extinguishers, replace every 5 years with new ones showing a 5 year life. Regular annual servicing quickly becomes more expensive than 5 year replacements. Does that sum it up correctly?

That would mean that you have out of date, untested extinguishers for 3 years

All of mine have the little dial on the top. The inspector ensured that the dial was in the green and that the sizes were appropriate. No dates were checked.

ditto

............... that's a funny word when you say it out loud, innit?

Edited by Murflynn

That would mean that you have out of date, untested extinguishers for 3 years

Well yes, indeed it would Alan, which may be unacceptable but I was interpreting earlier posts rather than advocating that course of action. It does seems a little odd that, on the one hand, a new extinguisher can be OK unchecked for 5 years, but then needs annual servicing at half its replacement cost, whilst on the other hand, if it's old enough not to have a date on it, it doesn't go out of date.

All of mine have the little dial on the top. The inspector ensured that the dial was in the green and that the sizes were appropriate. No dates were checked.

Ditto.2

Just t had mine and friends BSC done on the 17th, mine passed, extinguishers nine years old, only manufactures manufacture date on them with dials in the green. Friend had replaced his with new ones but failed to replace like for like so needed an extra one, examiner supplied one for £20.

Examiner advised to shake extinguishers at least once a month to loosen up power.

I wonder who advised you.I wonder if it could be the same person who advise me to keep my foam extinguishers aboard.

Think I am going to have bring mine home and find someone local to service them, otherwise the insurance Co may not be happy if there is a fire.

I have no idea, clearly.

As for getting them serviced, when we spoke to our two local fire extinguisher outlets they suggested the 'service' would be on an exchange basis, and that it was highly likely that the old ones unless their own would simply be scraped. The price reflected that, and we could under-cut them by about 40% by looking online.

Daniel

I have no idea, clearly.

As for getting them serviced, when we spoke to our two local fire extinguisher outlets they suggested the 'service' would be on an exchange basis, and that it was highly likely that the old ones unless their own would simply be scraped. The price reflected that, and we could under-cut them by about 40% by looking online.

Daniel

Regrettably I have to agree with you, but it is sad that in this day and age of trying to be green that they have to be dumped. Have you found anywhere that will recycle them rather than them going to landfill?

I'm curious about the cost implications of this.

Until recently I ran a small business and the the cost of servicing the fire extinguishers (powder) was about £12 each.

That was significantly cheaper than replacement and included all parts and certification.

The checks were annual so slightly more costly than those on a boat?
Or do out of date extinguishers have to be re-certified annually on boats too?

I find the wording of the BSS statements slightly confusing on this area and would like clarification

I too would like to know more about it, as I would much rather have a pair of 4kg powder ones that where signed off as ok, than a pair that are 'out of date' with two less-able 2kg units by their side to fulfill the BSS, its messy and makes me unsure which I would grab first!

That said, here is one online for £16.20 which is very close to the £12 you have quoted. Two delivered being £38.40, and thats just the very first one I found on a google search.

http://www.fireprotectionshop.co.uk/fireshield-2kg-abc-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAwNmzBRCaw9uR3dGt950BEiQAnbK96w9CDh3rykGpCYKmzj7NvtS2s1UX02zxAzJYQxWg2CAaAhtJ8P8HAQ

Daniel

What's involved in servicing a fire extinguisher anyway?

Just checking the needle is in the green and giving it a shake to check the powder is mobile, I bet!

Indeed

When I watched them re-stickering the ones at work it appeared to be a fairly quick process. You can't unscrew the top and inspect, etc.

Daniel

The ones we have are serviced annually, after the initial 5 years 'service after' date was met.

The service company unscrew the top, check the condition of the contents / powder, they unscrew the gas cylinder and weigh it. ( if weight is OK it is reused, if not it is replaced).

Water extinguishers are checked for the correct strength of 'antifreeze'.

Each extinguisher has its label applied.

One-in-five extinguishers are 'fired off' to ensure they work and are then replaced on a new for old basis.

We are given a certificate of inspection (stating the number / size / type of extinguishers serviced) to pass to the insurance company.

The ones we have are serviced annually, after the initial 5 years 'service after' date was met.

And if that's the case everywhere and for the bss, that's the real killer, a new one is only fractionally more than a service and lasts five years not one.

Unless you just service them every four years for the bss. I don't know the practical implications are, or the reason for it being annual after the first five years.

Daniel

Okay looked at extinguisher, look like new, all show in the middle of green line

But has date stamped, which all 4 are marked as 10-2009

So what is the verdict, they all have been polished and shook.

But should all 4 be replaced?

post-7507-0-89197800-1451397645_thumb.jpeg

post-7507-0-84238300-1451397676_thumb.jpeg