Toilet blue

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

The use of blue will result in a smelly toilet sooner or later.

Many people use "Odourless", green, biological washing powder or add yeast. My boat has not used anything in the tank since new and doesn't smell (except when being pumped out). Search the forum and decide for yourself what is best.

Personally, I would rinse the tank through a couple of times to get rid of all traces of blue, and then try without adding anything.

It depends on the quality, I bought some cheap stuff from go outdoors and needed to use much more than the elsan one so not cheap really,

Neil

Perhaps they are trying to give you a viable alternative?

The use of blue will result in a smelly toilet sooner or later.

Many people use "Odourless", green, biological washing powder or add yeast. My boat has not used anything in the tank since new and doesn't smell (except when being pumped out). Search the forum and decide for yourself what is best.

Personally, I would rinse the tank through a couple of times to get rid of all traces of blue, and then try without adding anything.

Agreed - you have to be careful about what you use to clean the toilet bowl as well, though.

Thing is, my last pump out a couple of weeks ago was the first without blue, not really noticing much of a difference in terms of smell, but the solids dont really break up so you get a pile under the hole in the loo, it built up the other day and wouldn't let anything past, had to pour loads of water on top.

Normally with blue i dont get a build up of solids, it just goes away!

Thing is, my last pump out a couple of weeks ago was the first without blue, not really noticing much of a difference in terms of smell, but the solids dont really break up so you get a pile under the hole in the loo, it built up the other day and wouldn't let anything past, had to pour loads of water on top.

Normally with blue i dont get a build up of solids, it just goes away!

Not a problem when you have a macerator system.

Normally dosage rates are on the back of the bottle. Milli Litres of blue per Litre of tank etc.

Measuring your holding tank if possible will give you an accurate volume. If not I think mine is about 55 litres....

That is EXTREMELY SMALL.

Its only equivalent to just over 2 cassettes - are you emptying it every week ?

Most tanks I know of are 'many hundreds of litres'.

We have a very small tank on our cruiser ( just big enough to use in Port and then empty when at Sea) and that is 175 litres.

Bio magic is the best. You don't need the quantity they say. Just add it as required. No smell no coloured dye

Any of the biological additives work as well as each other. Bio magic, Odorloss, etc. I haven't tried biological washing liquid but some people swear by it. However, given the tiny quantities of Odorloss I use, I can't see washing liquid being much cheaper.

Perhaps they are trying to give you a viable alternative?

Agreed - you have to be careful about what you use to clean the toilet bowl as well, though.

White Vinegar is good for this and Muckmunchers are excellent for getting bio tank going .. Blue stinks worse than the poo after a while IMO

That is EXTREMELY SMALL.

Its only equivalent to just over 2 cassettes - are you emptying it every week ?

Most tanks I know of are 'many hundreds of litres'.

We have a very small tank on our cruiser ( just big enough to use in Port and then empty when at Sea) and that is 175 litres.

ours is smallish at 215 litres , lasted 2 weeks before I got the bugs going , now lasts 3 weeks and solids break down nicely see muck munchers .co. uk

I am not related to this site BTW just an impressed customer

Edited by RufusR

Go Outdoors, unless you already have one of their 'members card', cost £5 I believe, you will not be able to pchase anything.

Not true, you can buy anything in there at normal price but if you have a members card that is £5 then you get it at the discount price, both prices are shown on the labels.

Neil

So do any of the above suggestions actually help break up the solids, thats what i am more concerned about today?

Yes thats exactly what www.muck-munchers.co.uk product does it turns solids into water .. It is designed for use in water treatment plants and septic tanks ( which is exacly what you have on a boat just smaller ) . We noticed a big difference in 2 weeks , even with heavier than normal use our 2 week PO duration has gone to 3 and might even make 4 weeks with more normal use .

Yes thats exactly what www.muck-munchers.co.uk product does it turns solids into water .. It is designed for use in water treatment plants and septic tanks ( which is exacly what you have on a boat just smaller ) . We noticed a big difference in 2 weeks , even with heavier than normal use our 2 week PO duration has gone to 3 and might even make 4 weeks with more normal use .

Without wanting to be too graphic, isn't the volume about the same, or are we talking packing densities here?

Without wanting to be too graphic, isn't the volume about the same, or are we talking packing densities here?

Yes I think the problem is solids were building up at the bottom as sludge and not moving even with rinsing . Turning it to liquid means you can pump out more and use more of your tank , With a septic tank you dont need to pump out if its running properly ( though as said I never quite understood why as liquid would eventually build up I would have thought ) but with a boat it means less sludge and thus more usuable volume .. They have nice little graphics with the product instructions and on site .. lol )

So do any of the above suggestions actually help break up the solids, thats what i am more concerned about today?

I use Silky RX, an enzyme product added at a teaspoon of granules a month. Cleared up an ancient solids issue which was causing my tank contents gauge to lie like a hairy egg with unpleasant results. At less than a tenner for a year's supply, in my case it more than paid for itself by enabling less frequent pump outs, but also there's no odour.

Yes I think the problem is solids were building up at the bottom as sludge and not moving even with rinsing . Turning it to liquid means you can pump out more and use more of your tank , With a septic tank you dont need to pump out if its running properly ( though as said I never quite understood why as liquid would eventually build up I would have thought ) but with a boat it means less sludge and thus more usuable volume .. They have nice little graphics with the product instructions and on site .. lol )

Ah! You needed an emulsifier!

(enough, already!)

I use Silky RX, an enzyme product added at a teaspoon of granules a month. Cleared up an ancient solids issue which was causing my tank contents gauge to lie like a hairy egg with unpleasant results. At less than a tenner for a year's supply, in my case it more than paid for itself by enabling less frequent pump outs, but also there's no odour.

new saying of the day .. excellent

Ah! You needed an emulsifier!

(enough, already!)

eh ?