Toilet blue

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

I disagree with your opinion but I defend your right to express it.

A frequent reason for something going wrong is simple misuse.

Unfortunately on my present boat it has a silly macerator toilet. I have left it fitted as I have got fed up of removing them but I have stood at the side a porta poti for WHEN it DOES go wrong which it will do one day or another. At present it works faultlessley but I KNOW it will go wrong one day however I look after it.

Plus points for me is I dont pay for pumpouts but when I go cruising again the porta bog will be a must.

Tim

Ha Ha no not drunk it ... Water is there words not mine but then I guess its liquid which is better than solid and pumps out easier , take a look at the site , I am just a happy customer not related to them . You do have to mix the bacteria with warm water first for 3-4 hours before flushing them down the loo .

dont they claim you can drink the water after treatment though ? it was some one on here who works at water treatment plant that recommended this as they use it IIRC

it is just pro-biotic bacteria at the end of the day though so probably similar to Siky 65 etc but I couldnt find that for sale anywhere

Guess the question on that muck muncher is, is it ok for steel tanks??

dont know as we have a poly tank but I dont see why not , I emailed them to check suitabilty for narrow boats and they said they had alot of use in Narrow boat black tanks but he didnt specify materials of tank construction .. If concerned contact them , they were very helpful

I have a pump out and used blue for years. Recently, however, I was told by someone who knows more than I do that blue was better suited for cassettes and directed to a concentrated holding tank treatment called Odourlos. The label boasts "absolutely no holding tank odours". I've been using it for a few months now and can't dispute that claim.

Whatever you use though, the recurring theme seems to be to stick with one thing. If I added blue now, i'm told it would kill the chemicals that make Odorlos work.

Also does Blue actually break down the waste or just mask the smell? This stuff breaks it down

I have a pump out and used blue for years. Recently, however, I was told by someone who knows more than I do that blue was better suited for cassettes and directed to a concentrated holding tank treatment called Odourlos. The label boasts "absolutely no holding tank odours". I've been using it for a few months now and can't dispute that claim.

Whatever you use though, the recurring theme seems to be to stick with one thing. If I added blue now, i'm told it would kill the chemicals that make Odorlos work.

Also does Blue actually break down the waste or just mask the smell? This stuff breaks it down

IMO Blue is and was designed for recirculating systems where the initial small amount of water and Blue mixture is churned around as a flushing fluid. The colour masks whatever bits get circulated plus the colour of urine. It is intended for short term use.

Objections to it are -

It's very costly to use in a pumpout system

It's highly toxic, indeed bulk waste removed has to be treated as hazardous waste. I'm sure there are folks somewhere, sometime who empty their cassettes where they shouldn't and damage that environment. Where I'm moored the marina operator had a nice eco reed bed system. However boaters started ti use Blue in their holding tanks with the result that the reed bed became polluted and the plants died. So now we pay twice as much to have the waste carried away by tanker.

Bio solutions (bio wash, Odorlos and the like)

much less expensive to use

The waste can be treated as normal sewage

more environmentally friendly

To be effective and if there are a lot of solids, they need to be dispersed in order for the bio elements to be effective.

I find a 'pointed stick' stirred through the dump through orifice can be effective coupled with a thorough power rinse (extension hose with a garden spray through said orifice) helps considerably.