She said it would be better if it were bigger

RichM

Featured Posts

Hello fellow boaters,

I have a 55ft Narrowboat, it's perfect except one thing. - It would be helpful to have another fixed double bed and some extra space. So I would consider extending it to 10ft, to make the boat a total length of 65ft.

Does anyone know of any boat builders who do this kind of thing? Not sure if it would be practical, but we're just considering options at the moment.

Thank you

57 foot is generally seen as a desirable length because you can go anywhere.

62 ish is seen as a length that will go anywhere but it will be so difficult that most people won't go anywhere but like the idea that they could if they wanted to.

65 is that length where only super heroes just might be able to go anywhere but won't

69 or 70 goes anywhere that a 65 foot is likely to go but has 5 foot more space.

65 is not a good length, neither one thing or the other?

.............Dave

Trina, you're a norty , norty girl (I had the same thought, snigger)

Phil

I thought the same but wondered about posting.unsure.png

With all the padlocks appearing lately I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say (looks furtively over shoulder)

Actually Roger Farrington (Ivybridge Marine) at the Bottom Lock at Braunston - Wharf House being fitters-out.

He did ours about 12 years ago, having originally built the boat.

Chris G

Is it only 12 years ago? Parglena was 10 years ago and yours seemed ages before that.

Another + for Roger from me he did my barge and that was a big job......

I live in the South.

I couldn't produce any real evidence to back up this assertion, but I would expect there to be fewer places available in the South to do this sort of serious metalwork, and that they will cost more. As a wild generalisation the south is good at making money, the north is good at making things and that's how it's always been. If you can find someone in the south to stretch your boat, I suspect you'll do well to compare the costs, and may find it worthwhile to do a return trip up the Oxford or the GU instead.

I suspect that if the OP visited a widebeam builder, their "affection" would quickly change smile.png

I think he was thinking of adding length not girth lol boat.gif

I understand the affection thing but will it still be same boat with a dirty great plug added to it ? I have a lot of affection for Mrs Rufus but wouldnt want to chop of her nose and add an extension as it would change things ( after typing this I realised that in fact many people actually do this ( nose job ))

Gets Coat

Sorry this is a genuine question but I assume stretching an existing boat is both expensive and very disruptive so why not just sell up and buy a bigger boat ?

Fair question.

The reason is because we're looking to perfect what we've already got. The boat is perfect for us in every other way but could do with another berth and some storage space to go with it

My view is that I will always find a flaw with whatever boat I've got, if it's not a lack of a berth & storage then it would be something else. So it makes sense to spend money on perfecting what we've got rather than end up with another boat that may fall short in other areas.