Licence for a kayack

rustydiver

Featured Posts

We've got our licence for our big boat, when the weather gets warmer I want to take my kayack on the boat too so I can paddle by myself for a bit, do I need to get a separate licence for unpowered craft at nearly £50 or does my big one cover me for a small tender kayack ;-).

• Greenie 1

Tenders have to be under 3m, and should only be used in sight of the big boat.

Best for canoes and kayaks is join the BCU through your national group, eg Canoe England.

That gives you a licence and 3rd party insurance for loads more waterways for any canoe you sit in for less money than a CRT licence for one kayak.

Sorry Dave, but that is not true.

The new T&Cs specifically make the point that tenders can be registered on any licence, but point out that they are not usually required on canals.

So they do.

However, they also make the point that a tender can only be used for going to or from the boat, whilst in sight of the boat, which would preclude a kayack being a tender.

I seem to recall someone saying that if you were a member of the British Canoe Association, or sometging similar that a licence to use CRT's waters was included in the membership fee.

That's the BCU - British Canoe Union - but you join it through your national body, Canoe England or Canoe Wales or the Scottish Canoe Association.

I pay about £40 per year for membership, and that includes the licence and insurance for any boat I am in. It is cheaper than buying a single unpowered craft licence from CRT.

The flip side is that the licence is for me, not for the boat. I can use any boat, but the boat is not licensed if I lend it to a friend. It all depends what you want to do with boats and people :)

May I suggest you re-read post #2?

I have re-read it, and it makes the point that the tender must be used in sight of the licenced boat.

It DOESN'T make the point about what PURPOSES it can be used for.

A tender can only be used to get to and from the licenced boat, which is NOT the purpose that the OP is intending to use the kayack for.

Even if used in sight of the licenced boat, kayacking up and down the canal for fun isn't something that can legitimately be done with a tender.

I have re-read it, and it makes the point that the tender must be used in sight of the licenced boat.

A tender can only be used to get to and from the licenced boat, which is NOT the purpose that the OP is intending to use the kayack for.

Even if used in sight of the licenced boat, kayacking up and down the canal for fun isn't something that can legitimately be done with a tender.

oh dear, mister enforcer - you noticed me paddling along this stretch in sight of my boat, but I didn't actually come from or go to my boat, and you noticed after checking your database on your handheld gizmo that my kayak is not actually licensed.

it's a fair cop.

please handcuff me now and take me away.

............. DUHH !!

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the clarification, I had forgotten that specific point!

Technically that means you could get in trouble for using your tender to do a bit of offside litter picking, but I don't think it's likely :)

Thanks for the clarification, I had forgotten that specific point!

Technically that means you could get in trouble for using your tender to do a bit of offside litter picking, but I don't think it's likely smile.png

I wouldn't put it past some of the enforcers if it's true what some people on this forum are saying about them.

oh dear, mister enforcer - you noticed me paddling along this stretch in sight of my boat, but I didn't actually come from or go to my boat, and you noticed after checking your database on your handheld gizmo that my kayak is not actually licensed.

it's a fair cop.

please handcuff me now and take me away.

............. DUHH !!

CRT make a concession, over and above what they legally must do, to allow for tenders to be used without a licence. It is a sensible concession

If people start playing silly games and seeing it as a loopole to use any small boat they please without payment, do you think that the concession will remain, or will they start to licence tenders (at 75% of a full licence fee)

That's the BCU - British Canoe Union - but you join it through your national body, Canoe England or Canoe Wales or the Scottish Canoe Association.

I pay about £40 per year for membership, and that includes the licence and insurance for any boat I am in. It is cheaper than buying a single unpowered craft licence from CRT.

The flip side is that the licence is for me, not for the boat. I can use any boat, but the boat is not licensed if I lend it to a friend. It all depends what you want to do with boats and people smile.png

Does the BCU define what type of boat is a Canoe for the purposes of use on CRT waters though?

Does it have to be canoe-like in shape? Is there a maximum length? Would a dinghy which is rowed or sailed rather than paddled qualify? Or what about a pedallo? Does it even have to be unpowered?

Does the BCU define what type of boat is a Canoe for the purposes of use on CRT waters though?

Does it have to be canoe-like in shape? Is there a maximum length? Would a dinghy which is rowed or sailed rather than paddled qualify? Or what about a pedallo? Does it even have to be unpowered?

Well I would have thought canoes and kayaks were clearly enough defined. I suspect to an official organisation a canoe is a small pointed boat that is paddled with a single bladed paddle from a kneeling position (generally but can be seated). Based on the north american birch bark canoe rough design.

A kayak would be similarly defined except a double bladed paddle and the paddler sitting. Both I think need to be pointed at both ends.

What about an electric canoe?

Can I uses that on the canal for a payment of £42 to Canoe England? Or do I have to pay CRT £510.62 for the privilege of putting an electric outboard on my canoe?

All the documents I have found on their site are to do with non-powered boats so I suspect they will not deal with powered canoes.

I think Canoe England membership is great value. It covers EA waters, CaRT, Norfolk Broads and even The Stratford Avon. It can be a pain covering the individual not the boat but that is a small inconvenience. Having said that I have never been asked to show my membership card.

NJFSEFCrop2.jpg

20140622_064418.jpg

Nice one Nick.

I've got a pair off the blue inflatable ones, but will only use the one.

Just had a response back from the CRT and they said you need a short term unpowered licence.

Or I assume long term one if I use it. More.

Will look into canoe England.

IMG_1635_1635d_1635l_easyHDR-BASIC-2.jpg

Ooooo lazy times

IMG_1620_zpsa5d2abbf.jpg

Edited by rustydiver

Nice one Nick.

I've got a pair off the blue inflatable ones, but will only use the one.

Just had a response back from the CRT and they said you need a short term unpowered licence.

Or I assume long term one if I use it. More.

Will look into canoe England.

Ooooo lazy times

This is the link you need.

http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/

you are meant to carry your membership card on you whenever you are on the water, you can even see it in the front of my buoyancy aid on the Medway Canoe Pass picture!

NJFSEFCrop2-1.jpg