Why I Decided to Live on a Houseboat in London

Featured Posts

I'm not sure the article romanticises life on the water? Most of it seems fairly realistic to me.

I was thinking about the convenient omission of what the requirements of your licence actually mean in practice and the fact that CRT are (according to boaters on here who are based there) are clamping down pretty hard on those who ignore these requirements and as a result are losing their homes.

About a third of London’s canal boats, including ours, run on “continuous cruising licenses,” requiring them to move every two weeks so they don’t monopolize access to the canals. I’ve cruised from West London through Notting Hill, past waterside cafes and underneath the London Zoo’s bird enclosures, along opulent Primrose Hill mansions and touristy Camden Market. I’ve docked yards away from concerts I’m attending in East London.

Edited by MJG

And while it mentions filling with water, it doesn't refer to the need to empty the toilet. And how many boats electrical needs can be wholly met by solar?

Quite a lot of folk are buying the composting toilets. Perhaps, emptying the toilet is not such an issue for them.

I was thinking about the convenient omission of what the requirements of your licence actually mean in practice and the fact that CRT are (according to boaters on here who are based there) are clamping down pretty hard on those who ignore these requirements and as a result are losing their homes.

About a third of London’s canal boats, including ours, run on “continuous cruising licenses,” requiring them to move every two weeks so they don’t monopolize access to the canals. I’ve cruised from West London through Notting Hill, past waterside cafes and underneath the London Zoo’s bird enclosures, along opulent Primrose Hill mansions and touristy Camden Market. I’ve docked yards away from concerts I’m attending in East London.

A certain irony in the comment regarding London CC'ers (I use the term lightly) moving every two weeks so as not to monopolise. They might as well stay where they are for the extra mooring space it creates for visitors.

Quite a lot of folk are buying the composting toilets. Perhaps, emptying the toilet is not such an issue for them.

Nope. Liquids go straight in the canal I'd imagine. Solids, once composted, where to they go?

Eventually, when everyone has a composting loo, the canals will be open sewers again!

Nope. Liquids go straight in the canal I'd imagine. Solids, once composted, where to they go?

Eventually, when everyone has a composting loo, the canals will be open sewers again!

mine go on a mates compost heap but crt has said if its double bagged it can go in their bins the wee can just be poured on the grass or waste land. the advantage is my compost is only emptied every 3 months unlike twice a week for cassettes

mine go on a mates compost heap but crt has said if its double bagged it can go in their bins the wee can just be poured on the grass or waste land. the advantage is my compost is only emptied every 3 months unlike twice a week for cassettes

Just askin'

Is there much grass or wasteland alongside the canal in London ?

Some would think like that. Negativity can become a nuisance sometimes.

Especially if you've got no idea what your talking about, and just making it up as you go along.

Regards kris

Not sure how the £20 a month on gas and diesel is compatible with bona fide navigation? (not just moving every 14 days). No this is not a rant about CC but more to query whether the article is based on facts consistent with the picture being painted.

The bit about 'borrowing' seems decidedly dodgy to me!

The author also neglects to point out that three abreast can be a right pain to boats who actually move and might well run the risk of being impounded on account of being a navigational hazard. Much easier for the EO than proving that they had not moved enough!

Not sure how the £20 a month on gas and diesel is compatible with bona fide navigation? (not just moving every 14 days). No this is not a rant about CC but more to query whether the article is based on facts consistent with the picture being painted.

The bit about 'borrowing' seems decidedly dodgy to me!

The author also neglects to point out that three abreast can be a right pain to boats who actually move and might well run the risk of being impounded on account of being a navigational hazard. Much easier for the EO than proving that they had not moved enough!

I think you might have missed completely the point of what I posted, but hey ho.

Especially if you've got no idea what your talking about, and just making it up as you go along.

Regards kris

Well obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question!

How about answering the question instead of insulting me for asking it?

Well obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question!

I think your statement quoted below suggests quite clearly what you were inferring

""Eventually, when everyone has a composting loo, the canals will be open sewers again!""

Not so sure he was insulting you. Maybe a little facetious. A bit like your post? wink.png

Mike we all know you don't like compost loos, I've read a few posts with you slagging them off in the past.

So maybe you would like to explain, your experience of them on which these opinions are based.

Or if not, the evidence you have ( anecdotal will do.) of people tipping there piss into the canal in London. Or was it all just you imagining it?

Regards kris

Edited by kris88