Why I Decided to Live on a Houseboat in London

Featured Posts

I was thinking about the convenient omission of what the requirements of your licence actually mean in practice and the fact that CRT are (according to boaters on here who are based there) are clamping down pretty hard on those who ignore these requirements and as a result are losing their homes.

About a third of Londons canal boats, including ours, run on continuous cruising licenses, requiring them to move every two weeks so they dont monopolize access to the canals. Ive cruised from West London through Notting Hill, past waterside cafes and underneath the London Zoos bird enclosures, along opulent Primrose Hill mansions and touristy Camden Market. Ive docked yards away from concerts Im attending in East London.

Yes I guess that bit doesn't represent the reality. The article reminded me of when I was CCing for a few years in the late 90s between Uxbridge and Marsworth and full time CCers weren't that common.

And while it mentions filling with water, it doesn't refer to the need to empty the toilet. And how many boats electrical needs can be wholly met by solar?

Quite a few boaters in London report that they are largely solar through winter, if not completely. The trick is to switch off the fridge and go for a cool box in a cold place. Would love to try it to see how far we can stretch our solar but the other half won't entertain it, even as a short term experiment :(