Constantly cruising reagents canal and lea

Cara face

Featured Posts

Make sure the outlet is blanked off as well, its quite common to have sea toilets with small holding tanks and a diverter valve, so the holding tank is used in the marina and then straight over the side when on the river. It may be done, but if not its easier to sort before they put it into the water.

Do the Broads type boats have an outlet to discharge to sea?

Certainly all of the ones we have seen have been to a pump out tank only, with no discharge to sea option only to be sucked out at a pump out station.

Do the Broads type boats have an outlet to discharge to sea?

Certainly all of the ones we have seen have been to a pump out tank only, with no discharge to sea option only to be sucked out at a pump out station.

IF ( and its a big 'if') it is the one I linked to then it does have a diverter switch to a small pump-out tank.

However - I seem to remember that this is a BSS fail ( research needed) and it is probably only around 100 litres which would not last long and requiring pump out every 2 weeks or so at best.

. However I must be realistic needing to move 40+ miles from where I work would be impossible ....

Ahh but what about moving 20 miles either side of it?

Current advice from CRT is a distance of not less than 15 - 20 miles (linear)(so 10 miles either side of work). This may increase, but it has not been announced in any official paperwork as far as I'm aware, and is just heresay

I am looking into cc because I do like the idea of roaming and thought since I was already commited to traveling 13+ miles each way to and from my job that I could balance both. However I must be realistic needing to move 40+ miles from where I work would be impossible .... But traveling a long enough stretch around London would possibility work at balencing both.

My genuine gut feel is that, given the fact that the Canal and River Trust are increasingly laying on the pressure about enforcing movement that you may really struggle.

I also think that you may find the choice of boat restricts your options further, as most casual mooring in London now seems to be by boats "breasting up", (i.e. mooring at least two abreast), and this is easier to achieve with narrow beam boats, (no more than 7 feet wide). If you find a mooring which is already fully occupied by boats "two deep", (as many are), adding a third narrow boat to make "three deep" may be just about accepted, but trying to add a wide beam boat may not be.

As Ange has said this is not impossible to do, but if you are as restricted on movement as you suggest, and if CRT continue the way they currently are, I think it could be fairly stressful, frankly.

IF ( and its a big 'if') it is the one I linked to then it does have a diverter switch to a small pump-out tank.

However - I seem to remember that this is a BSS fail ( research needed) and it is probably only around 100 litres which would not last long and requiring pump out every 2 weeks or so at best.

BSS Section 9.2.1 "Sanitation Systems"

As long as there is a diverter valve installed, and the pump-out tank cannot be discharged overboard then it is OK.

However the size of the tank would still remain a potential problem

I work I Greenwich so yes as I said I ride 12+ miles so 10 around is easy bar the fact that Greenwich is south London with no canals

But you are already probably at least 4 or 5 miles from any of the places on the London canals that live-aboard boats are regularly able to congregate in London, and there really are not, I suggest that many within (say) 10 miles cycling of Greenwich.

I think you would fairly quickly be on CRT's enforcement radar. Listen to Lady Muck - She is based perhaps 10 miles from your work (guess), and she knows the situation on the Lee in a way that most of us only know anecdotally.

Mick My teaching role doesn't involve spelling and being half asleep and dislexic I wasn't really focusing on that.

I am looking into cc because I do like the idea of roaming and thought since I was already commited to traveling 13+ miles each way to and from my job that I could balance both. However I must be realistic needing to move 40+ miles from where I work would be impossible .... But traveling a long enough stretch around London would possibility work at balencing both.

Anyhow that's why I'm on this forum ... To find out more and understand how it all works. Please give advice not insults smile.png

Irrespective of the alleged illegality of what C&RT are doing in London ( and other places), these guidelines are what they are actually implementing and using to get people off the waterways. It may be worthwhile reading to see if you can comply, if you can then you should be 'good to go', if you cannot comply then maybe you are leaving yourself in a vulnerable position.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/mooring-your-boat/want-to-be-a-continuous-cruiser

Also - Read carefully what LadyMuck has to say - she is there and knows of many people currently having problems due to the high level of enforcement in the London area.

Have a look at / join the London Boaters facebook page. That will give you some idea of what you will be up against ( I believe for example that there are only 7 water taps covering London, and 1000's of boats that need to use them to refill their water tanks.

The last thing you want to do is spend all your money then lose it because you cannot keep the boat where you want to, or, C&RT sieze it for non-compliance ( worst case - it can & does happen)

Mick My teaching role doesn't involve spelling and being half asleep and dislexic I wasn't really focusing on that.

Anyhow that's why I'm on this forum ... To find out more and understand how it all works. Please give advice not insults smile.png

My apologies.

Sadly I don't have any advice beyond I think your plan will stress you out horrendously, due to CRT enforcement policy. Notwithstanding Ange's opinion appearing to be that that your plan is perfectly feasible.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

Personally, unless you can fit long distance travelling into your work life (i.e. a cruising range from, say, Uxbridge right up the Lea), find a more suitable boat (i.e. a 40' narrowboat) and don't mind spending every weekend sorting out boat things (getting water, pumping out etc etc), I wouldn't recommend CCing. Also, are you fairly good at DIY? If you can't fix most engine, electrical and plumbing issues yourself, you can end up spending a lot of money sorting out little problems.

From time to time residential (and even leisure moorings that allow casual living aboard) come up in London, but the affordable ones aren't near your work. Still might be worth considering though, and worth bearing in mind if you chose to move jobs.

I completely sympathise with the need to find affordable accommodation in London. I also know how brilliant it is living on boats in London - waaay friendlier and more fun than flat sharing. It is, however, fairly difficult to manage these days. Think carefully :)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Lucy

If you really fancy living on a boat and moving about then get a narrowboat and get a job in a different and much nicer part of the country where there are plenty of canals, the canals are less congested, and enforcement is less strict.

I am sure you can work (in the conventional fixed location way) and cc, a lot do it, I would not want to, but it would be a whole lot easier away from London.

You could move the boat at the weekend and be fairly sure of finding an avaialable water tap and then somewhere to moor etc.

................Dave

If you really fancy living on a boat and moving about then get a narrowboat and get a job in a different and much nicer part of the country where there are plenty of canals, the canals are less congested, and enforcement is less strict.

I am sure you can work (in the conventional fixed location way) and cc, a lot do it, I would not want to, but it would be a whole lot easier away from London.

You could move the boat at the weekend and be fairly sure of finding an avaialable water tap and then somewhere to moor etc.

................Dave

Don't be silly, we all know that if you go beyond the M25 you will either fall off the edge of the world, or if you manage to escape that you will be eaten by the cannibals!

Scenario, possibly.

Work (teach) Monday to Friday, this will involve travelling time, so not able to do much in the morning boat-wise

After work travel home, time taken will vary on where the boat is and method of travel, arrive at boat need to get a meal.

If you are lucky, an hour or so to prepare/mark lessons for next day or maybe just relax. wink.png

Weekend

Check boat, need water and/or fuel, need to move boat to avoid CR&T enforcement. that's Saturday gone.

Sunday, day of rest, possibly but then next week has to prepared for, how will the new mooring effect travelling time.

This assumes you have found moorings where you can stay for at least seven days.

Nearly forgot, you will need to find time to do all the other things in life like washing clothing, keeping the boat clean etc.

I think you will find this difficult but in London nigh on impossible.

I can only reiterate that from others, talk to Lady Muck and London Boaters group and CR&Ts website.

The last one is the one that has control and needs to complied with. The others can advise.

Good luck.

Don't be silly, we all know that if you go beyond the M25 you will either fall off the edge of the world, or if you manage to escape that you will be eaten by the cannibals!

And the dragons - don't forget the dragons

Best if you stay inside the M25, it's hell for all us folk out here

Richard

OK .. If the boat works how about Limehouse to wilsden green - Wilson green to up near Finsbury park - Finsbury park to lime house.

I'm a teacher so on hoping that every 6 weeks I can then head out of town. Anyhoo rough ideas ..

Thats an 11 mile range, nowhere near enough. They would refuse you a new license.

I have a friend who is a teacher ( in Hackney) and she heads way out of town every school holidays. You would have to do this though, I can tell exactly when half term is as I see her heading North on the Friday. You have to be dilligent about it.

She has done this for over 10 years though, she had a 40 foot narrowboat but has just brought the most fabulous dutch barge over from Holland, not to stay in London, though, shes relocating to a coastal mooring, where her family is. Got several friends who have done this or are planning to, You'd be surprised how many have bought land on the Medway, when it gets really on top, they will be off. What would your plan B be? Don't get caught out!

But if you can't cruise the bigger range I would not advise it. I had all the naysayers saying, 'oh its just hearsay,' when I ( and others) warned that they would step up enforcement. But they did. They really have not messed about. And I think they will again, as this whole thing is about thinning numbers out, but boats keep arriving, so I think they will keep moving the goalposts.

When I was working in Central London 2009 -2012, my cruising ring was Leighton Buzzard to Hertford, Bishops Stortford.

I was never more than an hour from the centre either by train/tube or car/bike. Yes, it was challenging, but I would have gone mad if I had to live in a flat down there and not had the boat.

If you do large distances in the Summer, you may well get away with shorter distances in the Winter.

I think staying within the m25 may well become a challenge soon, not only for moorings, but also with the enhanced enforcement taking place. There are still lots of people buying boats and moving down there to live.

There is also the added issue that new boaters making a CC'er declaration for the first time are monitored closely-ish in their first year, so how you cruise in your first year is likely to have implications for your licencing for the following year. I suspect CC'ers who have already been cruising and satisfied CRT in their first year get more leeway/less attention in their subsequent years, so your first year is fairly high stakes in that sense.

and if in doubt ask CRT. Too many people walk the towpath and get really bad advice. Some of the, 'yeah you'll be ok, it'll be fine,' types have now got their court papers. Wonder why that might be?

I am reminded of the answers when people ask similar questions on the Lonfon Boaters Facebook group.

Seems to happen almost daily.....

This one was yesterday, for instance......

Hello all. Are their any students out there who could give me and my daughter some advice about being at college in London and buying and living on a boat. We know about the liveaboard bit but if someone has been and done it then I am sure there is a lot we could learn about college and the feasibility of living on a narrowboat at the same time.

They will probably do it anyway, because the housing thing in London is not getting any better is it? The halls near me in Tottenham, to rent a room for a week in those halls is more than my mooring costs for a month - a serious amount of money.

It's worth bearing in mind that the average length of stay for a ccer based around London is less than 18 months. Those that enjoy it loved boating anyway, or grew to love it. The increased enforcement won't make them stop boating either, they will figure something out.