Vanadalised window

Ronalan

Featured Posts

We had our bedroom window smashed in at 2am this morning by youths on the towpath, Hemel Hempstead. Showering us and the bed with toughened glass bits. Little tykes,drown them!

Sorry to hear that, it's horrible. Please do report it to the police if you haven't already.

We had a stone through a window once, fortunately it was just the upper hopper bit which was easy to replace. It still makes you feel vulnerable though, which is not a nice feeling. The bad feeling fades with time, fortunately.

Ouch. Hope you are all ok......have you reported to the local plod? I know they won't catch the little bast*rds but at least they might stop eating doughnuts and get out of their cars once in a while.....oh and drowning is too good for them....I find a mooring pin round the head is better!

Cheers

Gareth

Had a hopper smashed once when I wasn't there. Apparently police had the dogs out very fast. Shame CRT failed to pass on the report to me until 24 hours later....including refusing to hand over details to the police. When CRT decide to be awkward they are a total pain in the arse. Too many times considering I have only dealt with them for 5 years.

Dave

Thanks Ian will let you know.

Yeah we really should report it when we return. Have been out all day from early. Was really angry at the time. So mindless.

Thanks Ian will let you know.

Edited by Ronalan

You absolutely must report it even though the scroats won't be found. The reason is the government can pretend crime rates are falling if reported crime falls as people think it is pointless reporting it. The knock on is they can then reduce further police funding meaning even less gets done by quoting correct but very misleading figures.

We're at Boxmoor alongside the river Bulbourne. Moving on tomorrow thank goodness.

We've been out visiting family all day.

The police didn't seem interested of course but we have a crime number now.

Sorry to hear of this, nasty thing to happen anytime but at 2am and asleep must of given you both quite a shock. I'm not at all surprised the police were not interested! Hope you get it fixed quickly. I hate toughened glass as it falls out once broken and prefer laminated glass as even when broken stays intact but the frames seem to only accept 4mm glass and so toughened for safety.

You could always fit glass safety film on the inside to help hold it together if it got broken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-100-MICRON-50cm-x-2m-SAFETY-SECURITY-GLASS-ANTI-SHATTER-WINDOW-FILM-/251588395658?hash=item3a93d6428a:g:G9UAAOSwpDdVUwNa

James

Edited by canals are us?
  • Greenie 1

We had our bedroom window smashed in at 2am this morning by youths on the towpath, Hemel Hempstead. Showering us and the bed with toughened glass bits. Little tykes,drown them!

Did you hear them outside when they broke the window? Just wondered how you knew it was youths?

I had two drunk blokes (not youths) jump on my boat and threaten me once at Hunton Bridge near Kings Langley just south of Hemel and my ropes were untied once at Berko. No damage to the boat so your incident was much worse, but I'm not sure if these things are quite as rare in some areas as others seem to think.

Edited by blackrose

Not ever having had this unfortunate experience, I wonder, do chandlers stock replacement glass for popular window sizes, or must you order from the window manufacturer or a nearby glazing company?

I think that on many window types (other than those types with drop- back panes) you have to remove the window frame from the boat and dismantle it (remove rivets etc) so fitting a new pane is not a trivial task.

Not ever having had this unfortunate experience, I wonder, do chandlers stock replacement glass for popular window sizes, or must you order from the window manufacturer or a nearby glazing company?

We managed to smash a window once on the corner of a lock gate walkway (we were at a very awkward angle coming into the lock). Thought we were in for a nightmare finding a boatyard, waiting days or weeks for the glass to be sourced and the work done, and then paying through the nose. In the end it was as simple as a phone call to the local equivalent of Autoglass. The guy came right to us on the towpath the next morning, cut a sheet of glass to size in the back of his van, fitted it, and that was it. £90, if memory serves, which seemed more than reasonable.

Another time we had five of the six windows on our boat smashed up - this time with the frames damaged too. Now that really was a hassle; several weeks waiting for replacement windows to turn up and get fitted, and a £2,000 bill (thankfully covered by insurance).

Thanks Magictime & Nick. The glass in the windows in my boat (2 sizes of rectangular window and 1 size of porthole) are all removable, they tilt in to open and can then easily be slid out. I have been told that they are made by Worcester.

I might buy a spare glass for each type in case one gets broken.

Edited to give credit to Nick Norman as well as Magictime, after re-reading all posts in the thread.

Edited by cuthound

Denham marina has one replacement glass window if we can get to them, but we're moving north now.

I knew it was youths because....

Afterwards I heard voices shouting and saw lights outside. When I looked out there was someone with a torch further up and he was shouting to someone in the field beside. I shouted out ' what's going on out there'. He flashed his torch at me and ran off down the towpath! I thought maybe I frightened him off being only partly dressed at the time!

Anyway it hasn't put us off. We've moved further up the canal now.

Ours are removable glass portholes so not too much of a chore to replace, just annoying.

Worcester windows can be replaced with aluminium plate. When I talked to Worcester about them they told me to source it on the net. £120 got me 3 x 36" x 21" and one 15" porthole. They arrived as rectangles, rounded off bottom corners and cut the circle with jigsaw. I intend to use them if I have to moor or leave it in a dodgy area, though you can't always tell!

Unruly phone edit.

Edited by Jim Riley