Angle Grinder

Pennie

Featured Posts

Need to remove the chunks and mounds of rust from inside my water tank prior to painting. Been told the tool I need for this job is an angle grinder. But its one tool I've never used and know nothing about.

Firstly: which should I buy for this job (and other boaty things)? Not massively expensive but nothing that isn't up to the task of boat life either?

What pads/disks (whatever the term is for them) do I need? Been informed already it is likely I will need at least 5 for my water tank alone.

Finally, most important really, how do I use it? Is there anything I should be aware of? Any tips to make life easy?

All advice gratefully appreciated. Its sort of new and a slightly odd feeling to not know anything at all about a subject or where to start looking myself

Ther's lots of info on youtube, here's a place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3499yZDv1P0

They are a powerful tool and need to be treated with respect. Always wear proper eye protection and keep a fire extinguisher close by, keep an eye on where the sparks are going and protect the area

.Let the grinder do the work,no need to push to hard into the metal.

Sparks from the grinder are very hot and will melt into things like paint and will start to rust.

You are probably better off with an old 1" chisel, a larg screwdriver and a 2" paint scraper. Almost anything that you will want to remove will come off with this and much safer than using an unfamiliar machine, especially an angle grinder, in a confined space. Finsh of with a stiff wire brush then cover with a rust converter or Hammerite paint.

Ther's lots of info on youtube, here's a place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3499yZDv1P0

They are a powerful tool and need to be treated with respect. Always wear proper eye protection and keep a fire extinguisher close by, keep an eye on where the sparks are going and protect the area

.Let the grinder do the work,no need to push to hard into the metal.

Sparks from the grinder are very hot and will melt into things like paint and will start to rust.

If you are getting sparks then you are grinding steel - i.e. you've gone too far. Stick to scraping!

• Greenie 1

Hi Pennie, i have loads of experience with a grinder and i can say good average price ones are Makita, but are around £65 for a 41/2 inch (115mm) one, this is the size that will suit you, not the 9inch size. There are plenty of cheap ones about, infact i am using one from Screwfix at the minute that was £28 in a sale, good tool,

I would say get one that can have the motor brush to be replaced as it is better to pay around £6 for a set than a get new grinder.

If you are clean back rust and muck try these knotted wheels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xangle+grinder+knotted+wheel.TRS0&_nkw=angle+grinder+knotted+wheel&_sacat=0

These are good but can ware out quick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUST-PAINT-REMOVER-GRINDER-WHEEL-DISC-FITS-115mm-4-1-2-ANGLE-GRINDERS-POLY-/121366311631?hash=item1c41fef2cf:g:x-EAAOxycERRlhYe

a few for you to look at

my choice, had two last me 10 years hard use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-GA4530KD-115mm-4-5-Angle-Grinder-With-Case-Diamond-Blade-240V-/161830494401?hash=item25add960c1:g:1Z0AAOxyBXNSV~D7

Screw fix choice

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/angle-grinders/cat830694?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-powertools-_-anglegrinder

when using one, hold tight when you push the switch as there can be a kick back from them, i say this as some folk are mard with there grip and i have seen them spin out of there hands, mainly with the not expecting them to. somr grinmder do some dont but its not bad. just a warning until you try one for the first time.

always let the grinder do the work, dont force it onto the job. you will tell if you are as the disc will ware fast.

thats about it i reckon, easy to use, wear gloves and eye gear, always.

One thing I would say is using a grinder in a tank is that the dust generated quickly means you can't see what you are doing plus the fact it's not the best thing to breathe in even wearing a mask....this is speaking as someone with experience of using a grinder in both a tank and bilge area.....I would also agree that hand tools are best if you are in any way unsure of the power tool.....it's quite easy to remove a digit or even a limb with an out of control grinder...even a small one.

Cheers

Gareth

You are probably better off with an old 1" chisel, a larg screwdriver and a 2" paint scraper. Almost anything that you will want to remove will come off with this and much safer than using an unfamiliar machine, especially an angle grinder, in a confined space. Finsh of with a stiff wire brush then cover with a rust converter or Hammerite paint.

If you are getting sparks then you are grinding steel - i.e. you've gone too far. Stick to scraping!

I'd agree with this. You can get stiff scrapers (like a blunt chisel) from Wilkos for a few quid. Paint scrapers probably not stiff enough. When I did my tank I used Vactan to convert the remaining rust then overcoated with Armourguard epoxy - worked a treat.

Dependent on how rusty a multi tool would probably do as good a job & the pads would get into the corners.

Somrthing a rotory grinder won't.

You then have a bit of kit that can then do other things [ie woodwork etc.] at a later date.

Would be slower than a grinder but MUCH more controllable & safer.

Still need PPE mind.

Over the years I have seen many bad injuries that have come from inexperienced people using angle grinders in inappropriate confined spaces. They are great for many tasks, but not the insides of a water tank. I echo the view expressed earlier in the replies that a good set of scrapers and a new wire brush is the way to go. Take care, Ian.

I recommend wearing heavy duty clothing as well as eye protection when using angle grinders.

I was using a 750 watt one with thin disc to cut 8mm steel. I had both hands on the tool holding it at waist height when the disc broke. Within a split second it had jumped and snagged on the rugby shirt I as wearing, pulling the grinder towards my chest. The material wrapped around the remaining part of the disc before the overload protection killed the motor. I was left with just a small scratch on my chest. Even the shirt survived with barely a tear, but I realise I was extremely lucky.

My mate's dad got part of his face sliced through when a grinding disk burst he was using, losts loads of blood.

I always use a face mask rather than just goggles and also wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt / top.

A wire cup in a drill is another option, easier than a wire brush without the worries of using a grinder.

Not mentioned yet, but when in a confined space think about hearing protection as it can get very loud in there. It is also a good idea to have someone around in case you get into trouble. Presumably after cleaning you will be painting? In which case make sure you have a mask suitable for the solvent fumes from the paint, and ensure good ventilation as you could build up a dangerous level of fumes - fire etc - if using a black bitumen type of paint. If you do use any form of power tool then you may want to think about dust extraction, say a cleaner with a long hose. But it will get very loud in there.

Dependent on how rusty a multi tool would probably do as good a job & the pads would get into the corners.

Somrthing a rotory grinder won't.

You then have a bit of kit that can then do other things [ie woodwork etc.] at a later date.

Would be slower than a grinder but MUCH more controllable & safer.

Still need PPE mind.

Which multu-tool would you recommend? Oh yes PPE is a given, done enough work in labs at uni to know all about H&S

Still thinking of using hand tools though, but I have been thinking about a multi-tool for other things

One point that I don't think anyone has mentioned. When using a wire brush in an angle grinder you need to wear some really tough overalls or boiler suit as they often will shed wires which will go straight through ordinary clothing and will hurt !!! I used to wear a welders chrome leather apron when using one and sometimes by the end of the day I would look like a porcupine !!!

Not mentioned yet, but when in a confined space think about hearing protection as it can get very loud in there. It is also a good idea to have someone around in case you get into trouble. Presumably after cleaning you will be painting? In which case make sure you have a mask suitable for the solvent fumes from the paint, and ensure good ventilation as you could build up a dangerous level of fumes - fire etc - if using a black bitumen type of paint. If you do use any form of power tool then you may want to think about dust extraction, say a cleaner with a long hose. But it will get very loud in there.

Confined space or not, ear defenders are essential (rather than "think about") when using an angle grinder.

An accident might cause eye damage, but an angle grinder WILL cause hearing damage, though it might be many years before it becomes noticable.

...............Dave

Which multu-tool would you recommend? Oh yes PPE is a given, done enough work in labs at uni to know all about H&SStill thinking of using hand tools though, but I have been thinking about a multi-tool for other things

there is a lot of good advice here, and I hope I don't sound sexist, but advising a lady with little or know experience to stick her hand in a small space and fire up even a small grinder is not my idea of good practice, so looking at it from a totally different angle, instead of buying a grinder, goggles, gloves and a boiler suit, would it not be as cheap,loads safer and easier to just buy and fit a plastic liner in your water tank,?

Saying "lady" is sexist - I have had the training course at work :-)) but saying person would be fine.

According to my training session it would have been even worse if you had said 'young lady'.

Luckily I am now at an age where I have just stopped working and will no longer be subjected to the latest PC training courses.

On a more serious note, as it is a water tank, and if it is anything like mine it will mean climbing inside, so ventilation really is a concern.

However I also enjoy doing these sorts of jobs myself and increasing my skills and knowledge - I am an engineer :-)

Angle grinders are a very useful bit of kit, but inside a cramped tank is not the best place to learn how to use one.

I did this job in August, and you have my sympathy.

For the initial scraping I used an electric scraper like the picture below. It was a great device, a scraper with a hammer drill action, but small and lightweight. Mine came from Lidl at £14 (branded as Parkside), it does a fantastic job. Unfortunately Lidl only stock them now and again, they come from a chinese manufaturer and are occasionally sold under other brands like the one below . Bosch used to market them but not any longer.

electric-scraper-and-spatula-set.jpg

Don't bother trying to do your tank at this time of year if your boat is in the water, it will be impossible to paint with bitumen due to condensation forming as you try to paint. Wait till next summer.

I was fortunate to be able to borrow a 'fresh air full face mask' which made the job bearable, would highly recommend, and probably the only possible way to do it with an angle grinder.

For painting the bitumen the fumes are not too bad but it helps to direct an airstream into the tank to flush fresh air in. I used a fan heater (with the heat switched off) positioned at the lip of the tank.

Our boat has two tanks (one each side), so twice the pain. On one I simply scraped and then 2 coats bitumen. On the other I scraped, then cleaned off with with an angle grinder and twist knot cup wire brush, then coated with vactan, then 2 coats bitumen. In 3 or 4 years time I'll have a look and see how they are faring.

Good luck, it's a terrible job to do

Ian

Pennie - You probably want something like these for this job, assuming you will be using a bitumen paint in an enclosed space together with a 12v blower.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-x-plore-3300-r57794-chemical-half-mask-with-filters-p3/39216

http://www.screwfix.com/p/comfort-ear-defenders-29-8db-snr/41054

Edited by Chewbacka