I've only been and done it again!

churchward

Featured Posts

I am just not getting the right and full experience of boating after last months depressingly enjoyable trip I have just returned from out latest jaunt but alas still nothing to moan about.

This is last months topic

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=79572&hl=

This month for my birthday we had a slow dawdle on the Shroppie down towards Autherley junction from Swanley on the Llangollen. We had a very nice time the weather was OK we met some nice people enjoying some autumnal boating had a nice meal in Audlem. Not a sign of those nasty people from CRT just some friendly folk doing some hedge/tree trimming and no one accused me of overstaying. I'm just not doing it right.

Still, long may it continue I probably won't get another trip in before Christmas due to Santa specials on the Llangollen railway and other commitments in November but come the new year and ice willing I shall be trying again.

That is shocking........I'm so sorry to hear that.

I thought I was the only one missing out (but that's because I haven't been able to go boating at all for ages and ages)

The censorious on this site would probably say that it's your own fault, but I think bad luck can sometimes be involved

I do hope things improve soon unsure.png

I've been down on the K&A for the last month or so and the main problem is the railway. I don't mind the trains, I expect to get trains but I seem to be moored right by where they sound their horns before the level crossing, and it is very loud and disturbing.

This is obviously CRT's fault and I condemn them utterly for it, even though I've not asked them to do anything about it. Hardly worth the effort, I just know they'll deny all responsibility...

• Greenie 1

Problem with train hooters. It is because of the boaters in our midst who used to work on the railways. Now whenever a train driver sees a boat they give a toot to their old work mates. It happens with some lorry drivers too.

I've been down on the K&A for the last month or so and the main problem is the railway. I don't mind the trains, I expect to get trains but I seem to be moored right by where they sound their horns before the level crossing, and it is very loud and disturbing.

This is obviously CRT's fault and I condemn them utterly for it, even though I've not asked them to do anything about it. Hardly worth the effort, I just know they'll deny all responsibility...

Absolutely, utterly disgraceful.

In days of yore when BW and BR were government departments, you might have been able to complain to your MP.

Ah - but you probably don't have an MP.

(As an aside I don't know if you watch any TV but Chris Tarrant had a journey through CanuckLand and beyond on Chanel 5 ( ? C5 ? '5') last night. At the back end of the prog: he had a ride on the footplate of a steamer, the driver of which had to issue a colregs type signal ate every crossing - hardly a toot. An enjoyable programme - many 5 progs: are - well not very good - well worth watching IMHO)

Problem with train hooters. It is because of the boaters in our midst who used to work on the railways. Now whenever a train driver sees a boat they give a toot to their old work mates. It happens with some lorry drivers too.

Oh dear, you're now being sensible.

WARNING this ins a non-sensible thread.

We toot first - if we can and not only to trains, but any large vehicle as well, followed by hysterical waving. Very gratifying if we get a response.

little courtesies like that may the day pass pleasantly.

Good fun on the N.Oxford on the long run down to Rose NBs - try to catch a Virgin (train) as they roar past at 80 mph - or whatever speed they do.

I think you can stop a train easily by putting your foot on the railway line as it passes. This should trip it up and make it stop, while the driver gets out and puts it back on the rails.

I've haven't actually tried this but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

I've been down on the K&A for the last month or so and the main problem is the railway. I don't mind the trains, I expect to get trains but I seem to be moored right by where they sound their horns before the level crossing, and it is very loud and disturbing..

So you've been moored in the same spot for a month or so?

Veering a little more off topic, I must watch that Chris Tarrant "Extreme Railway Journeys" (?) programme on catch-up if I can, as my son-in-law works on one of the more remote parts of the Canadian railways and has had the odd extreme experience in his time there. From the limited description I'd seen, I thought it was a repeat of the Australian one which I had seen... drat!

Veering back, I have yet to have any trouble from CRT, but this may be because my average of miles per day on canals is much higher than most forum members. When someone is looking for crew on Crew Swap (or sometimes in topics on other parts of the forum), it tends to be because they want to get a boat from A to B within a certain time, and the distance is rather more than they feel able to cover without help.

MtB, may I suggest that as you've been on the K&A a month suffering train noise, you should have moved along to a different place by now? I wouldn't want to make wild assumptions about your circumstances, heaven forbid, but maybe you have moved and either you're at a different level crossing, or the other side of the same level crossing is a different place?

The bloody sun went down on Saturday before we had finished cruising.

20151031_163130_zpshmrbaevs.jpg

I couldn't complain to CRT because it was the weekend, however someone mustafa git through as it came up again on Sunday

20151101_074850_zpsj0xnz3z5.jpg

Yes, it's come back up - but from the OPPOSITE DIRECTION!

Don't CRT realised how confusing this is?

Something should be done about it...

Edited by PaulG

Very strange on one thread you applaud an overstayer, yet on another thread you moan about someone overstaying on a favourite mooring of yours on the shroppie?

Except I'm not an overstayer. I was only implying it to see who picked up of the point, and I caught a whopper!!

And what about the barriers bleeping

Very strange on one thread you applaud an overstayer, yet on another thread you moan about someone overstaying on a favourite mooring of yours on the shroppie?

I was applauding the sense of humour, not the possible overstaying!

ETA: And anyway, I would, wouldn't I!!

Edited by Loafer