Oak and Ash on Waterworld

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Evening all.

Many many moons ago, Waterworld featured the build and fit out of Oak and Ash,trading as Reed Boats. I remember seeing the episodes, little did I know that about 8 years later they would be our home!! I would love to get hold of a copy of the episodes, I believe they released it on VHS. If anyone has a copy and wouldn't mind me borrowing it or if anyone had one that featured them that they were willing to part with for beer tokens I would happily oblige. Should you wish to discuss this but not in an open forum to admit having vhs copies of waterworld I am more than happy to discuss via pm!!!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Dan

Good evening, I have no problem in having this series on vhs. I enjoyed every moment of it and taped the lot. having moved a short while ago I still haven't connected the vhs. When I get around to it I will let you know so that you can copy the relevant parts as they featured in several episodes.

Evening all.

Many many moons ago, Waterworld featured the build and fit out of Oak and Ash,trading as Reed Boats. I remember seeing the episodes, little did I know that about 8 years later they would be our home!! I would love to get hold of a copy of the episodes, I believe they released it on VHS. If anyone has a copy and wouldn't mind me borrowing it or if anyone had one that featured them that they were willing to part with for beer tokens I would happily oblige. Should you wish to discuss this but not in an open forum to admit having vhs copies of waterworld I am more than happy to discuss via pm!!!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Dan

have you tried looking on utube most things seem to lurk in there somewhere

Dan was the series you are looking for this:

http://www.uk-boating.tv/videos ?

Thanks for digging out that link, Ray. I've only had a quick look but there appears to be some fascinating material in this collection.

eta: At random I picked the May 2012 episode and watched great interviews with Paul Barber and Barry Argent.

I know what I shall be doing for the rest of the day!

Edited by koukouvagia

Are they back together? I thought they'd been separated?

They were separated for a while. I can remember them moored in the Saltisford Arm with the Rev. Martin Reed telling me the pair were up for sale. Later I met him with Oak on the Southern Stratford and was told that he had sold Ash but decided to keep the motor for family use.

Good that they are back together, especially as they were purpose built as a pair.

They are very much together!

They are currently at Billing on the Nene, I'll post some pictures up for you of progress. Thanks for the link I'll have a look

Dan

Edit. I'm not sure if that link is to another boating programme, not waterworld.

Dan

Good evening, I have no problem in having this series on vhs. I enjoyed every moment of it and taped the lot. having moved a short while ago I still haven't connected the vhs. When I get around to it I will let you know so that you can copy the relevant parts as they featured in several episodes.

That would be lovely thank you!

And very smart they look, too.

Have you done much to the inside? I was once invited by the Rev. to look at his handiwork and was not hugely impressed.

Wasn't overly impressed by the Rev tbh, he passed me once at an unbelievable speed, water washing over the towpath, never seen anything like it.

And very smart they look, too.

Have you done much to the inside? I was once invited by the Rev. to look at his handiwork and was not hugely impressed.

Aah the fitout.

Well, everything is built to a 3/4" tolerance and trim covering innacuracy throughout.

I'll add some pitcures when i can but in a nutshell, the kitchen now runs for 5.5m throughout Oak, taking out the single toilet and first single cabin. We kept the second single cabin as a study, and the rear twin/Double has been removed to make a playroom for the girls, and we have an inflatable mattress for guests.

We have also remodelled all the bathrooms, removing all traces of pump out, and making one for the kids with a 4' bath in.

On Ash, we have knocked through the rearmost single and twin cabins to make a 16' cabin for Vikki and I, and also redone the hot water systems, as the only way of getting hot water on there was with the Eberspacher. We now have a squirrel in our cabin, with backboiler, feeding a twin coil calorifier with immersion, a much better system.

We also put a new stove in the front of Ash, as again, the only form of heating was with the Eber.

The joys on the inncaurate fit out, is that with no glue, it is easy to reconfigure, so all wood we have taken out has been reused, so as to minimise costs, and also everything still looks "as built". It should be noted...... the tolerances of the works are within 1 - 2mm now, and glued!!

Photos to follow.

Dan

As promised here's some photos!

At the back of Oak, there was a twin / Double cabin, we remodelled this into being a playroom for the kids with a day bed in. We had to keep this, as the pump out tank for the bathroom next door was under the bed. Once that went, we were able to remove the bed to free up much needed space. The floor was also replaced as there had obviously been an issue in the past with the skin tanks underneath the floor there, as it had been hacked out, and topped with more 18mm. This was replaced with 22mm Junckers Beech flooring, when we did stage 2 of the re fit!

As Purchased with the second bed collapsed down, and folded away for storage, this is phase one!

20141105_124857_zpsqmm64taf.jpg

And with phase 2 complete and new floor:

20151003_210454_zpsw7muegqs.jpg

The aforementioned bathroom:

Before:

20140917_164133_zpslhmrunfi.jpg

And after:

20150519_211936_zpsi5g2ran1.jpg

The biggest change was the kitchen:

Before:

20140917_162219_zpsi7cbdlgr.jpg

And after:

20141103_125313_zpsdiircqwi.jpg

Much more open, and a more useable space, as we love baking, and we didn't need 9 cabins!

On Ash, we re modelled the rear guest cabins to be one large cabin:

20151103_213542_zpsfmcxczzh.jpg

And removed one of the showers, and re modelled the space to become a bathroom, getting rid of all the tiling, and replacing with wall panelling....just for the kids!

20150214_121424_zpsnwf6txkt.jpg

20150214_121411_zpskmyx758e.jpg

I'll spare you all the pink glosswork behind the camera!

We're still in the process of repainting, but the weather beat us. We have one side of Ashh still to do, and the back ends of both, and then we can look at signwriting, and filling in the top bends on the bows....

20150815_174353_zpsv82uouov.jpg

But not bad work for a year with a full time job and 2 kids, and living aboard!!!!

Dan

Thanks all. We can single motor it, although the beds are still to be built, the playroom will have fold down bunks for the kids and the dinette will become a double in the front end. Some of the playroom is also painted in craft master, using some left over paints in he front locker from the old colour scheme!!

We love them as a home, it's very much Oak is downstairs and Ash is upstairs, and if you can get used to stepping across at bedtime then it's fine, which we can!!!

• 1 year later...