Waterways 35mm slides

Alenafour

Featured Posts

This one :-

http://www.ebay.co.u...ZgAAOSwcBhWaBEJ

is definitely the BCN old main line from Brades Hall junction looking towards Oldbury. As was surmised in an earlier post the photographer probably took the picture looking down the lock (which was in an earlier batch) then turned and took this one. It is not on the Wyrley and Essington!

Regards

Martin O'Keeffe

"Margaret" was a wooden boat, either ex- Anderton Co. or Mersey Weaver. - not sure offhand.

I thought I had seen a fairly good history of "Margaret" on the Internet, (or maybe elsewhere), but I cant seem to easily find it.

It is clearly wooden, and not, I feel sure, a BCN boat.

This one :-

http://www.ebay.co.u...ZgAAOSwcBhWaBEJ

is definitely the BCN old main line from Brades Hall junction looking towards Oldbury. As was surmised in an earlier post the photographer probably took the picture looking down the lock (which was in an earlier batch) then turned and took this one. It is not on the Wyrley and Essington!

Regards

Martin O'Keeffe

The vew today (Actually taken in March)

Brades-L.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I thought I had seen a fairly good history of "Margaret" on the Internet, (or maybe elsewhere), but I cant seem to easily find it.

It is clearly wooden, and not, I feel sure, a BCN boat.

There was a Margaret registered for the Anderton Co in 23 which passed onto Mersey Weaver in '53 then onto BTC when Mersey Weaver finished

Hostelcraft ran at different times the Margaret, I believe the Aston, and later the Pamela - which may have been a Bantocks boat. I once travelled in a converted lifeboat behind the Margaret, both pulled by Mary the horse, up the Llangollen canal, with Jack Roberts in charge.

I know that everyone will be examining the working boats but I'm really pleased to see the amateur built boats in this pic. Love the greenhouse pontoon!

$_57.JPG

Not a question I often have to ask but...

Where? I'm intrigued...

Edited to add, Suddenly realised it's Newbury, with the ground paddles up...

Edited by magpie patrick

I'd be inclined to call those gate paddles.

Not the obvious ones...

Newbury Lock notation.jpg

I've circled an upright timber and a support. The upright timber is a leeds and liverpool style ground paddle in the open position, the support is what it rests on when closed

Edited to add - the significance is that I'd have recognised the lock as Newbury a lot faster if the paddle had been in the closed position!

Edited by magpie patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more on ebay - such as this one

attachicon.gif1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Waterways-Kennet-Avon-Grand-Union-Canal-1950-60s-/191765913390?hash=item2ca6239f2e:g:CYQAAOSw3KFWeoyF

I guess it is Smethwick, but I'm sure Laurence will be along in a minute to tell us the exact location....

I think that that is taken from the northern side ramp of the former Smethwick Coal chutes (Sandwell colliery wharf) we tried to save a few years ago. The boat is still there and is an old wooden knee'd "Joey". The building has gone.

A VIEW WHEN WORKING:

gallery_5000_522_34618.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more slides available, but where is this:

attachicon.gifcanal lock c1960 ($_57 - Ebay advert).JPG

I think that may be the Avon in Bath area, the motor boat looks suspiciously like a middle Northwich which one would not be surprised to see on maintenance back then, also thers a wide beam barge in front of it.

I think that may be the Avon in Bath area, the motor boat looks suspiciously like a middle Northwich which one would not be surprised to see on maintenance back then, also thers a wide beam barge in front of it.

I am as sure as I can be that the four full length middle Northwich motors all operated out of Gloucester / Sharpness, and only frequented the ship canal and River Severn (both tidal and non-tidal).

If it is Keynsham Lock then the boat is most likely to be ERIDANUS captain.gif

Cerney Wick roundhouse, Thames and Severn Canal.

$_57.JPG

Not Chalford as he says in the advert although I can see why he's said that as both Cerney Wick and Chalford have the conical rooves, whereas the other 3 had inverted rooves hidden being a parapet.