Waterways 35mm slides

Alenafour

Featured Posts

Another batch of slides on. Anyone know where the last photo was taken, the one with the large woolwich in, is it leighton buzzard?? Looks very much like Bicester

Thanks

Darren]

I know I have seen that bridge but years ago, I think it may be in Stoke on Trent before the A500 was built.

Yes I think this is at Brantoms Wharf at Berko.

There is a picture of this boat in the fascinating 2009 thread "Seventies Boating" on this forum posted by Alan Fincher. His brother "Antarmike" who operated coal boats from this location said it was not the Bicester.

T & A Collier's book An Affair with the Cut mentions Kim McGavin mooring up here in 1975. I think he had the Hawkesbury then so would suggest that it is this boat. I wouldn't be surprised if in a week or so the ebay vendor posts a pic of the boat from an angle which shows the name!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Yes I think this is at Brantoms Wharf at Berko.

Leighton Buzzard, of course, not Berkhamsted!

There is a picture of this boat in the fascinating 2009 thread "Seventies Boating" on this forum posted by Alan Fincher. His brother "Antarmike" who operated coal boats from this location said it was not the Bicester.

No, I think my brother mike said it was not "Bilster".

I think both the slide referred to, and this picture, are probably both "Bicester"

Boats_At_Brantoms.jpg

Does anybody recognise the location of this one, please?

$_57.JPG

This is one of the steam dredgers that were on a 7 foot boat but to which the extra sponsons were then fitted, to give stability. Hence a 14 foot wide dredger that could pass narrow locks.

It intrigues me because it seems to carry the same unusual livery that was applied to "Sickle" when it was part of an exhibition at Brownings Pool in (from memory!) 1957. (Yellow adornments on maintenance boats were not usual, I think).

I'm tempted to thing this dredger may have been smartened up to be used in the same exhibition.

I had a feeling it might be somewhere around Church and Grove lock on the S. GU, but the copse and lie of the land is not convincing. Hard one. So much of Milton Keynes has developed it could even be somewhere now unrecognisable.

I think it is not impossible that it could be just South of Dudswell bottom lock, looking South towards Berkhamsted.

To be fair though that is based on the fact that I have previously been supplied with a North facing photo of similar towpath woks there featuring what may be the same dredger.

If it is there it is quite possible"Sickle" would also have been in attendance.

I'm far from convinced about that location, though - not a lot to go on!

Assuming all these slides are from the same collection, I wonder who's collection it could have been? As Fulbourne is pictured at many different locations, I assume at least those may have belonged to someone associated with Fulbourne at the time.

EDITED TO INCLUDE THE PICTURE I REFER TO ABOVE

Unknown_Dudswell_zps73f43e6c.jpg

[Photo by the late Cyril Boucher, copyright Andrew Boucher]

Edited by alan_fincher

I had a feeling it might be somewhere around Church and Grove lock on the S. GU, but the copse and lie of the land is not convincing. Hard one. So much of Milton Keynes has developed it could even be somewhere now unrecognisable.

Funnily enough I thought the same, I thought it was just below Grove Church lock.

L

<Snip>

Assuming all these slides are from the same collection, I wonder who's collection it could have been? As Fulbourne is pictured at many different locations, I assume at least those may have belonged to someone associated with Fulbourne at the time.

I have shown some of the photos of Fulbourne to the son of the owner of Fulbourne at the time the photos were taken who did not recognise anyone in the photos but noted that the boat was 'hired' out a lot so the pictures could have been taken during one of those trips

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Curious. It's tempting to believe that is the Dudswell location looking the other way - and perhaps it is. But what puts me off is the field on the offside, it's very low, quite a bit lower than how I remember it. That would be the field in which the Scout hut stood.

It would put the dredger on that bend seen poorly here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7781856,-0.6013538,3a,26.9y,120.96h,87.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4vIDsfEOQ6x7rXRsGoig9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Not convinced yet. Don't know.

Does anybody recognise the location of this one, please?

$_57.JPG

This is one of the steam dredgers that were on a 7 foot boat but to which the extra sponsons were then fitted, to give stability. Hence a 14 foot wide dredger that could pass narrow locks.

It intrigues me because it seems to carry the same unusual livery that was applied to "Sickle" when it was part of an exhibition at Brownings Pool in (from memory!) 1957. (Yellow adornments on maintenance boats were not usual, I think).

I'm tempted to thing this dredger may have been smartened up to be used in the same exhibition.

It's below Leighton Lock beyond the swingbridge - I think it was taken at the same time as an earlier ebay slide ISTR

Edited by archie57

I have shown some of the photos of Fulbourne to the son of the owner of Fulbourne at the time the photos were taken who did not recognise anyone in the photos but noted that the boat was 'hired' out a lot so the pictures could have been taken during one of those trips

Tim

To add to this- http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/hist2.html tells us -

"It was seen by Derek Palmer, a vicar from the Bristol area and an enthusiastic member of the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust. After negotiation the purchase was concluded on 8 August 1966. Derek owned FULBOURNE for some years, not living on board but boating extensively around the Midlands with his wife four children and other canal enthusiasts. The boat was used on a timeshare basis for about £25 per person a week. FULBOURNE was originally moored at Patch Bridge on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. One of the enthusiasts was Bob Shopland who later became General Secretary of the Inland Waterways Association and then onto pastures new as one of the founders of Waterways World.'

This fits in well with the fact that a lot of the photos for sale are taken in the Bristol & Bath area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...