BACK AGAIN!!! How about a barge for 60k??

pinkiescot

Featured Posts

Thanks peter, we shall see what happens .... 'if' it is still available and I can win my daughter round, it will happen if the seller wants to strike a decent deal on it, as I shall be in an excellent position.

I've had so many comments on here, but people post things rather blindly, telling me to look at 'amazing' boats that only have one bedroom, and bring up pointless comments about my previous thread, which aren't helpful in any way since I changed my budget.

Funny how there are those that just like the sound of their own voices......but at least you can start the engine and sail away from them once your onboard!!!! HA! (That must be the reality of living the dream!)

Methinks you are being a little sensitive - it is most unlikely that you will find the ideal boat, or one that fits your demands / needs exactly.

You may need to 'do work' and adding a simple'stud-wall' and making an extra cabin will be neither difficult or expensive,so, showing you a 'single cabin' boat is not a 'negative' but intended to help you think outside of the box.

Your comment referencing your previous comments in another thread are again just to highlight the fact that irrespective of the amount of money you spend a 50 foot x 12 foot boat will still be the same size as a 50 foot x 12 foot boat at half the price. Correct me if I am wrong, but was your previous comment about 'couldnt live in that' refering to the size ?

Good luck with the search.

Methinks you are being a little sensitive - it is most unlikely that you will find the ideal boat, or one that fits your demands / needs exactly.

You may need to 'do work' and adding a simple'stud-wall' and making an extra cabin will be neither difficult or expensive,so, showing you a 'single cabin' boat is not a 'negative' but intended to help you think outside of the box.

Your comment referencing your previous comments in another thread are again just to highlight the fact that irrespective of the amount of money you spend a 50 foot x 12 foot boat will still be the same size as a 50 foot x 12 foot boat at half the price. Correct me if I am wrong, but was your previous comment about 'couldnt live in that' refering to the size ?

Good luck with the search

With respect Alan, it wasn't a 50ft x 12 ft boot I was after. My measurements were 19m x 4m x 1.5 draft. A significant difference I would say.

Also with respect, the measurements WILL BE DIFFERENT, depending on the boat shape and fit out, and whether the best use of space has been made. So I wholeheartedly beg to differ.

I am not being 'oversensitive' as you put it, but you've already made comments like 'tried to help but she won't listen so I ain't bothering' or whatever in the previous thread, so about from shouting again and again like a little boy who needs a wee, wee, I find your comments unhelpful and patronising to be honest. Although I am quite sure they weren't meant in that vein!

When I have started a NEW THREAD with new requirements, why raise the subject of the boat I thought was 'too small', which it was for us. We like to lounge, and it wasn't happening on there anywhere. Sorry if it offended you, perhaps you were being oversensitive?

And I would add, I didn't want to do diy on the boat, I needed it to be liveable from the word go in terms of cabins/space, other things not so important as they can be done in time. I am at college, and don't have spare time. So brandishing a 1 bedroom and going 'great boat that' on this thread, just makes for nonsense reading, start a new thread and call it 'here's a cracker!' My daughter is hardly going to thank me at 13 for saying, we are moving to a boat and you don't have a bedroom.

I thought I had found a SERIOUS contender today, kindly supplied by someone on here who actually gave me everything I required within budget, but I realised the draft is too big to the mooring!

Although it looked perfect in every other way. Sad but true.

And no, I don't think my expectations are set too high, but I'm certainly not going to throw my money at something that was 'make do' because someone I don't even know suggested it would work for me, these things don't happen overnight, and nor would I expect to find a boat really quickly, it's a big step and a big financial decision.

I do agree on one point though, I won't find all I want in a boat unless I get it fitted out myself, I do totally understand and accept that, I am flexible, but in terms of space/layout, it has to work for us.

• Greenie 1

... In every post you make you make comparisons to living in a house or flat, suggesting that you might be willing to make some small compromise just so long as boat-dwelling is prepared to meet you half-way.

Well, I'm afraid it won't be. Your best bet ... would be to buy a house or flat.

I really must second this. Live on a boat when you really want to live on a boat. The beauty of a boat is that it moves around; you can choose your view; to some extent you can choose your neighbours ... or tie up in the wonderful middle of nowhere. It leads very much to an outdoor life. Waterfowl become your close friends. You enter a community of essentially friendly independent folk more than willing to help like-minded others who need it. And the great thing is that you become much less dependent on consuming your way to happiness -- as there's precious little room to store 'stuff' on any boat.

Signed: 2 adults and a cat on a 53-foot narrowboat.

And the great thing is that you become much less dependent on consuming your way to happiness -- as there's precious little room to store 'stuff' on any boat.

I'm not sure about that bit. I seem to have been spending plenty of money on bits for my boat over the last 10 years - plus all the other things one needs. I have no illusions - it's consumerism, just in a different form.

Is 1.5m an accurate max draft for the mooring?

How far off was the boats max draft that you were considering?

Yes, thats what I was told 1.5, will recheck though the draft on the boat I was interested in was about double that to be honest.

And as I already said if I emptied toilet waste on a motorhome, I can also do it on a boat.

Someone mentioned rather succintly about why you would want the boating lifestyle, I totally agree, that is what I want, a nicer way to live.

Yes, thats what I was told 1.5, will recheck though the draft on the boat I was interested in was about double that to be honest.

And as I already said if I emptied toilet waste on a motorhome, I can also do it on a boat.

Someone mentioned rather succintly about why you would want the boating lifestyle, I totally agree, that is what I want, a nicer way to live.

3mt is about 10 foot are you sure thats right? I know you are talking barges but it sounds a bit deep to me.

I would double check that draft it doesn't sound quite right.

10ft is massive.

Actually, I rather behaved like a man there, thinking things were bigger than they actually are! (boom boom!)

The draft for my mooring is 1.2 (not 1.5) and the draft for the boat I was rather enchanted by was 2.3, and since it isn't going to be bought by me, I should perhaps give a clue to what 'I think' may work for us.

http://grandunion.boatshed.com/dutch_barge_19m-boat-213333.html

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk

£62,000.00

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk for sale | 18.90m (62'0") | 1909 | 1x diesel 100hp | Steel Construction | Full-Displacement underwater profile | 3 sleeping berths | Boat REF# 213333

Boatshed Grand Union

not sure if the first link worked, but i guess you may want to know what hit the mark (unseen of course!)

not to be me, so feel free! x

Actually, I rather behaved like a man there, thinking things were bigger than they actually are! (boom boom!)

The draft for my mooring is 1.2 (not 1.5) and the draft for the boat I was rather enchanted by was 2.3, and since it isn't going to be bought by me, I should perhaps give a clue to what 'I think' may work for us.

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk

£62,000.00

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk for sale | 18.90m (62'0") | 1909 | 1x diesel 100hp | Steel Construction | Full-Displacement underwater profile | 3 sleeping berths | Boat REF# 213333

Boatshed Grand Union

not sure if the first link worked, but i guess you may want to know what hit the mark (unseen of course!)

That is the air draft at 2.3 the hight to get under bridges, not how much water it draws.

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk

£62,000.00

Boatshed Grand Union

That advert doesn't mention draft!

It mentions air draft of 2.3m.

Can only agree.

You are confusing air draft which is the height of the boat above water level, and therefore the height of bridges you can get under, with the draft (draught) which is how deep the vessel is in the water, and therefore how deep the water must be if you are not to be sitting on the bottom.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

Can only agree.

You are confusing air draft which is the height of the boat above water level, and therefore the height of bridges you can get under, with the draft (draught) which is how deep the vessel is in the water, and therefore how deep the water must be if you are not to be sitting on the bottom.

Tam

Okay thanks Tam and others, actually I finally realised there were 2 types of drafts, but was only interested in the underwater one for mooring.

That's really helpful, but still not the boat for me sadly, cos I liked it but was very aware it needed plating work, so was never going to pay that sort of price for it, although I did think it would work for us logistically!

Also beaten to it on the draft!

Is the mooring on the Forth and Clyde?

Hi,

Yes it is, I was thinking Speirs Wharf as we both have to be fairly central in Glasgow.

oh shit!!! (can i say that on a public forum?!!!)

what a blonde!

just realised re-reading that was 'airdraft' not draft......ah well! Not a great believer in karma to be honest, but you know, maybe if it is meant to be it will be.

I'd expect Speirs wharf to be at least 1.5m depth, although the canals are getting shallower.

Scottish Canals' "target" for the Forth and Clyde was 2.3m a while ago, but has now gone down to 1.8m. (Mainly due to enforced cost cutting on the Carron cut)

Dutch Barge 19m Tjalk

£62,000.00

Boatshed Grand Union

I can see the attraction - this is a prime example of the 'boats' that Lady Muck often comments on.

Taken to London, painted white, converted into a floating flat and sold at an astronomical price.

I wouldn't like to see it after a trip up the North Sea / Irish Sea.

i like it but find it strange that it was overplated in 2009 and now needs doing again perhaps wasnt the greatest restoration job.

however if i was looking for a boat i would haggle to see if it could be reduced to account for the repairs captain.gif

ps when first starting boating we all have blonde moments i still do ten years later rolleyes.gif

I once heard that to get a dutch barge brought over by lorry/ferry to London would cost about £3k. There are several people on the Thames who bring them over cheaply and sell them in London at a huge markup. No idea how much extra it would be to drive to Glasgow, but probably still worth it.

However, something I picked up when last boat shopping was that Dutch Barges of the sizes we tend to like over here are used more like caravans over in the Netherlands. This means that boats shipped over tend not to be kitted out for UK liveaboard purposes. Probably a good deal if you have time/money to fully refit a boat, then you could probably get a good bargain. If not, it might not suit your 'must be ready to move straight onto' criterion.

i like it but find it strange that it was overplated in 2009 and now needs doing again perhaps wasnt the greatest restoration job.

however if i was looking for a boat i would haggle to see if it could be reduced to account for the repairs captain.gif

ps when first starting boating we all have blonde moments i still do ten years later rolleyes.gif

It doesn't say when it was overplated, it doesn't say it needs doing again, it says some plating needs doing.

When looking at Dutch barges one has to bear in mind that the original plating wouldn't have been much thicker than 6mm.

A full survey will be required to get her insured ( and again every 6-7 years ) and that will show up what is needed, the cost of which may be negotiated with the seller.

I wouldn't say that she's over priced, about right I'd say.

Buying an old Dutch barge is similar to buying an old house, you buy in the full knowledge that, for as long as you own her, you'll be spending money on her.

Keith