BACK AGAIN!!! How about a barge for 60k??

pinkiescot

Featured Posts

Hi. Boat is on the River Lea.

Found this on a website;-

The navigational depth on these waterways is, on average, 1.15m (3'6”)

A Tjalk would probably be of a similar depth.

Also if it can move along on the Lea should be ok for your requirements?

Last one I was on was 3'3" [1m] deep in but was Iron [and overplated] so may have sat a bit deeper

Beautiful boats but a 'labour of love' to keep up together.

TBH I wanted a Tjalk this time around but eventually went for a 'narrowboat' style widebeam [11'5"]

as easier to maintain.

Headroom inside can also be an issue on some.

Remember looking at one where the forward cabin had less than 5' headroom!

Edited by Dinz
  • Greenie 1

i so want that converted motor trawler ok its 30m but its beautiful and it has sailsrolleyes.gif

It doesn't say when it was overplated, it doesn't say it needs doing again, it says some plating needs doing.

When looking at Dutch barges one has to bear in mind that the original plating wouldn't have been much thicker than 6mm.

A full survey will be required to get her insured ( and again every 6-7 years ) and that will show up what is needed, the cost of which may be negotiated with the seller.

I wouldn't say that she's over priced, about right I'd say.

Buying an old Dutch barge is similar to buying an old house, you buy in the full knowledge that, for as long as you own her, you'll be spending money on her.

Keith

i just read the blurb which said fully overhauled and derusted so took it that as the sides and chines had been plated and that it had all been done in 2009 as that was when the survey had been done

It doesn't say when it was overplated, it doesn't say it needs doing again, it says some plating needs doing.

When looking at Dutch barges one has to bear in mind that the original plating wouldn't have been much thicker than 6mm.

A full survey will be required to get her insured ( and again every 6-7 years ) and that will show up what is needed, the cost of which may be negotiated with the seller.

I wouldn't say that she's over priced, about right I'd say.

Buying an old Dutch barge is similar to buying an old house, you buy in the full knowledge that, for as long as you own her, you'll be spending money on her.

Keith

This is exactly right. I would like to correct the previous comment made about a barge brought to London and painted white. I lived aboard for 7 years and brought her from a floating hull to her current state. Not perfect, not finished. She is 106 years old. She is a solid old girl who will look after whoever buys her. I am gutted that the new owner has decided after so little time that she's not for him (can't drive her apparently!) and have told him so. She was my little boys first home and a solid shelter in all weathers. I just hope someone who appreciates her comes along.

I can see the attraction - this is a prime example of the 'boats' that Lady Muck often comments on.

Taken to London, painted white, converted into a floating flat and sold at an astronomical price.

I wouldn't like to see it after a trip up the North Sea / Irish Sea.

40 hours from Brighton to the Thames in a force 5 rising 6. But then you weren't there so I expect you didn't know.

Eta: sorry. Got a bit carried away defending the honour of my old girl. Not mine anymore. I'm gonna leave it now but believe me, if I were still her owner, she would still be here long after I'm gone.

Edited by Captain Zim

I once heard that to get a dutch barge brought over by lorry/ferry to London would cost about £3k. There are several people on the Thames who bring them over cheaply and sell them in London at a huge markup. No idea how much extra it would be to drive to Glasgow, but probably still worth it.

However, something I picked up when last boat shopping was that Dutch Barges of the sizes we tend to like over here are used more like caravans over in the Netherlands. This means that boats shipped over tend not to be kitted out for UK liveaboard purposes. Probably a good deal if you have time/money to fully refit a boat, then you could probably get a good bargain. If not, it might not suit your 'must be ready to move straight onto' criterion.

Some friends of ours have brought a steel dutch cruiser back from Holland in August. The boat was excellent value compared to what was on offer in the UK and in stunning condition.

It cost them £4k to have it brought across from Holland to Lincoln. Even factoring this in they are in the region of £20k better off then buying a similar boat here in the UK.

This is exactly right. I would like to correct the previous comment made about a barge brought to London and painted white. I lived aboard for 7 years and brought her from a floating hull to her current state. Not perfect, not finished. She is 106 years old. She is a solid old girl who will look after whoever buys her. I am gutted that the new owner has decided after so little time that she's not for him (can't drive her apparently!) and have told him so. She was my little boys first home and a solid shelter in all weathers. I just hope someone who appreciates her comes along.

I feel for you, I really do ........ When the day comes that I leave my old girl (75 years old) I hope it's in a box, 'cos any other way I would fret about her all the time.

Some friends of ours have brought a steel dutch cruiser back from Holland in August. The boat was excellent value compared to what was on offer in the UK and in stunning condition.

It cost them £4k to have it brought across from Holland to Lincoln. Even factoring this in they are in the region of £20k better off then buying a similar boat here in the UK.

[/quote

So I was not dreaming, I did read they are a lot cheaper in Holland.

Neil

40 hours from Brighton to the Thames in a force 5 rising 6. But then you weren't there so I expect you didn't know.

Eta: sorry. Got a bit carried away defending the honour of my old girl. Not mine anymore. I'm gonna leave it now but believe me, if I were still her owner, she would still be here long after I'm gone.

i thought she is a lovely looking old girl and when i read the blurb it really sounded like someone had gone to town on her restorationdetective.gif i am sure someone will see her and finish her and as you say she will be still going long after we are dust in the ground. i so want a something with sails so i am always trawling through the ads

Hi,

I heard the same thing actually, and have been having a look at dutch websites, it's a waiting game I think for the right boat/price/size.

Nice to hear some actual prices for transport though, just as a ball-park, it's helpful.

once you have the money something will just turn up that is perfik for you two. be it a widebeam/cruiser or dutchbarge. as long as you dont have blinkers on the bargains are out there honest