What can be done about continuous moorer?

Ajna

Featured Posts

The last boat sold from my moorings went for £2500. It is due to start sinking imminently and might be described as being in a 'woeful state'. It was bought by a guy who intended to travel in it to London and to continuously cruise there as a liveaboard. The boat made it about 3/4 of mile before it broke down.

If that's not a low cost to entry, please tell me what is?

I'm not sure buying a boat that is sinking and doesn't work classes as an 'entry'.

Correct me if I'm wrong would that not be a "mooring"

It's quite simple isn't it really if you want to avoid the rules just keep a low profile!

You've misunderstood me or I haven't made myself clear, you said that he dosent have permission to store wood where he is. how do you know this? Presumably if he dosent have permission to store wood, he has permission to be there with stipulations?

Warning, hobby horses running wild!

Jeez if you get abused verbally what's the resolution - let 'em walk all over you?

Yes according to apologists.

Just to clarify,

Antisocial behaviour from noise, litter and abuse should be challenged, everywhere. I agree if the OP has a case for that then that should be their right to complain. It's the bit about I'm paying so why aren't they that reduces the argument.

I'm with BSP on that.

• Greenie 1

Antisocial behaviour from noise, litter and abuse should be challenged, everywhere. I agree if the OP has a case for that then that should be their right to complain. It's the bit about I'm paying so why aren't they that reduces the argument.

I'm with BSP on that.

The argument isn't helped by using a term of abuse to describe the other boater in the thread title - continuous moorer.

Richard

MORE: Y'know, I'd be far happier with a thread saying 'there's this bloke who moors opposite, makes a shocking mess, runs his generator late and swears at folk who ask him to stop'

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

More facts are needed really..

You mentioned a few things, but left out a lot.

1. What time was he running the gennie. Was it late at night?

2. If he's not illegally mooring on one of your private moorings, and he's able to moor somewhere "without paying what you pay", then good for him, but my experience of CRT data loggers is that they would have logged him if he is mooring beyond 14days in one place....so perhaps they've already issued him with a warning. If not, then there is possibly a good reason..(medical, etc).

3. You say he's a bridge hopper...but that would indicate someone who moves around a small local area...but you also say he looks like he's preparing for winter...again, this would be very unlikely unless CRT has given him permission...especially as you say they do come down your way and check boats....

somethings not quite right ......one side of the story perhaps...

when you approached him....what did he say exactly......it wasn't perhaps..."leave me alone, I'm allowed to run a gennie at midday, and CRT have given me permission to stay here..." ..was it smile.png

And there is you leaving the marina in the summer because it is too noisy. Hmmm.

• Greenie 1

The argument isn't helped by using a term of abuse to describe the other boater in the thread title - continuous moorer.

Richard

MORE: Y'know, I'd be far happier with a thread saying 'there's this bloke who moors opposite, makes a shocking mess, runs his generator late and swears at folk who ask him to stop'

Used up all my greenies, but yes. This ^

This is correct of course, but one also has to factor in human nature and the frustration which caused the OP to grasp hold of anything he could to chuck (metaphorically) at the guy. It wasn't the right way to go about the thread, but I think it's understandable.

I've not been on here long and I'm truly surprised at how much handbag waving goes on considering its authors predominantly use "narrow" boats!

T'aint just canals: I was on a camping site some years ago when the "tenters" next door to me complained to the site manager (not me, note) that my flag.... yes, my flag, was too noisy. I'm surprised they could hear it over their blaring TV.

This is correct of course, but one also has to factor in human nature and the frustration which caused the OP to grasp hold of anything he could to chuck (metaphorically) at the guy. It wasn't the right way to go about the thread, but I think it's understandable.

I suppose I don't like to see what is apparently a genuine unpleasant situation dressed up as a 'Continuous Moorer' issue as though all CCer's are the same and using the CMer term will automatically recruit all-right-thinking-boat-owners to the OP's side

Richard

I suppose I don't like to see what is apparently a genuine unpleasant situation dressed up as a 'Continuous Moorer' issue as though all CCer's are the same and using the CMer term will automatically recruit all-right-thinking-boat-owners to the OP's side

Richard

This ^

I do remember a boater on the Shroppie whose behaviour pissed everyone off to such an extent that someone torched his boat one night, and though I obviously would never condone such behaviour, I can't say any of the rest of us were sorry. Nobody really minds well-behaved piss-takers, but the anti-social ones wreck it for all the others as well as for those trying to live within the rules.

you are condoning an act of arson? I am forced to the conclusion that you are either a vigilante by proxy or letting your emotions overrule your normal sense of morality.

as to the OP; noise nuisance is normally dealt with effectively and quickly by the local environmental health department.

The rest is simply holier than thou anti-cc crap.

and another thing.....

Edited by Alenafour

ok....it's like pulling teeth :)

So now it's confirmed. He is on a 3month licence. This means.....:

1. No need to contact CRT, they already are monitoring him, heavily, and his days are numbered.

RESULT.

NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT WAIT IT OUT?

WELL DONE CRT.

and in response to the comment about I leave our marina because of similar issues...you're 100% right...except that it's me versus a lot of people, whereas this is a group of folk against one guy..not really comparible, but I do agree that one guy can cause many people a lot of grief.....but if you can't physically remove them, I truly think rubber around your own door frames etc is practical....sometimes it's all you can do....besides leopard crawling to his boat one night and tossing his gennie in the cut.

I'm sorry if the title of the thread offends some but if a ducks a duck why would I call it anything else!

The term Continous Moorer exists because mick takers who don't want to move come with the usual qualifications meaning they want to continue to moor without following the required etiquette or rules which is self defeating.

Defending this behaviour dose not make it better for a genuine continuous cruiser it makes it worse!

In case it's not clear...I do feel for the OP, and although I've played devils advocate...if this guy was moored next to me, I'd probably also feel agrieved...but for the sake of proper discussion, the real facts are nice to extract :)

you are condoning an act of arson? I am forced to the conclusion that you are either a vigilante by proxy or letting your emotions overrule your normal sense of morality.

as to the OP; noise nuisance is normally dealt with effectively and quickly by the local environmental health department.

The rest is simply holier than thou anti-cc crap.

and another thing.....

As usual, you haven't bothered to read my post before slinging insults about. No surprise there. I realise that you find it hard to appreciate that sometimes it's worth being honest about one's reactions, but there you go. A seriously anti-social (abusive, aggressive, thieving) boater was removed by someone he irritated enough to set fire to his boat - not necessarily a boater, by the way - we presumed it was a matter of thieves falling out - and everyone in the area was pleased he was gone. Would have been a lot better done almost any other way, of course, but at the time neither the police nor BW were interested - and i did say that i didn't condone the action. Didn't stop me being pleased he was gone though. I presume you would have been sorry.

• Greenie 1

ok....it's like pulling teeth :)

1. No need to contact CRT, they already are monitoring him, heavily, and his days are numbered.

RESULT.

WELL DONE CRT.

and in response to the comment about I leave our marina because of similar issues...you're 100% right...except that it's me versus a lot of people, whereas this is a group of folk against one guy..not really comparible, but I do agree that one guy can cause many people a lot of grief.....but if you can't physically remove them, I truly think rubber around your own door frames etc is practical....sometimes it's all you can do....besides leopard crawling to his boat one night and tossing his gennie in the cut.

I take your point Dean but I simply don't want to force someone to move I want a peaceful Caen resolution and that's how I approached the guy who in turn became abusive.

How he acts is his Karma how I act is mind so despite the fact I could simply untie him in the night I choose not to do that as it's not right!

I'm just airing my thoughts or moaning like a who knows what!

Ain't life great?

He probably cannot get over the fact that he was brought up being made to listen to Hawkwind & Jethro Tull.

What's wrong with Jethro Tull? I was moored next to Ian Anderson for years, fine chap, and what balance. Stood on the foredeck on one leg tooting away. I suggested a conventional horn for signalling but he wouldn't have it.

• Greenie 1

What's wrong with Jethro Tull? I was moored next to Ian Anderson for years, fine chap, and what balance. Stood on the foredeck on one leg tooting away. I suggested a conventional horn for signalling but he wouldn't have it.

Fine response. Agreed on 'Hawkwind' though. So he should be able to do what he wants but not have a day named after him

ok....it's like pulling teeth smile.png

RESULT.

WELL DONE CRT.

Edit as on second thoughts I can't be bothered.

Edited by churchward

He probably cannot get over the fact that he was brought up being made to listen to Hawkwind & Jethro Tull.

For this reason alone he should be allowed to do whatever he wants & have a day named after him!

Learned recently that the Silver Machine was in fact a pushbike, that's wrecked the magic of that song!

........Dave