Big fire Gloucester docks warehouse

AMModels

Featured Posts

Even the photos are quite terrifying. I don't think it was being used for storage any more - thank goodness it had not yet been converted into "apartments" (does no one build flats any more?) or there would almost certainly been casualties and loss of life.

How sad. I knew the Dock area quite well when I worked in the converted pillared warehouse that is closest to the dock entrance in the 1980s.

It would have made some nice flats/apartments. I hope the fabric of the building is OK otherwise I imagine it will be pulled down.

Even the photos are quite terrifying. I don't think it was being used for storage any more - thank goodness it had not yet been converted into "apartments" (does no one build flats any more?) or there would almost certainly been casualties and loss of life.

True but I expect if it was down to vandalism that got out of hand or straight up arson it woudl have been less likely if the building was converted and occupied. It is likely the very fact that it was empty that made it a target.

.Edit: because I thought better of it but the following post (magnetman) has written similar to my original.

It has happened before in Gloucester, nothing proved.

Edited by bottle

Where I lived as a lad there was an old wood yard which AFAIK was a listed structure. There was talk of redeveloping it into residential.

One day it caught fire and had to be pulled down. Couple of years later there were brand new £££ flats on the site. Probably a higher overall value as new builds than converted commercial premises as I suspect they can get more units in with new build which translates to more profit.

How sad. I knew the Dock area quite well when I worked in the converted pillared warehouse that is closest to the dock entrance in the 1980s.

It would have made some nice flats/apartments. I hope the fabric of the building is OK otherwise I imagine it will be pulled down.

True but I expect if it was down to vandalism that got out of hand or straight up arson it woudl have been less likely if the building was converted and occupied. It is likely the very fact that it was empty that made it a target.

Good point, yes, if indeed it was caused by arson.

There was an Art Deco pub near to where we live. The brewery wanted rid of it, the locals campained to keep it. On three occasions it caught fire, the third time being terminal. The fire chief said in a report that there were signs of accelerant and the furniture had been piled up in heaps inside the building. No action was ever taken.

The site is now an ASDA supermarket. Around Coventry area over the years there has been quite a few disused pubs catching fire and other buildings put on the site. Insurance claims ? Who knows ?

Edited by Ray T

I see the canal is closed whilst the safety of the building is assessed. It was a fine building so a shame if it gets demolished for a modern apartment block, other warehouse conversions in the docks appear to have worked OK.

Hardly gold medal distance - merely a short step, and one which I'm sure some of us have mentally taken.

Me too. I don't think anyone on here is saying that arson instigated by the owners must be the cause of the fire, just that it's one plausible cause. If the owners stood to gain financially from this fire, it's a possibility that has to be considered by the police.

Police have arrested two men following a fire at a warehouse in Gloucester.

The fire happened within a derelict warehouse near the Peel Centre on St Ann Way at around 6.45 on Saturday evening(October 3).

Two men, both 19 and from Gloucester have been arrested on suspicion of arson and are currently in police custody.

https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/news-room/two-men-arrested-following-gloucester-warehouse-fire/

Wow! How does it feel to be able to jump gold medal distance to a conclusion?laugh.png

Seen way too many occurrences of "accidents" where things got burned down usually before redevelopment started...

A derelict farm house and barn attacked by arsonists has been razed – potentially paving the way for more homes to be built on the land.

Severe damage was caused to an outbuilding and the roof of the farm house at Starvehall Farm, in Prestbury, which was previously at the centre of a planning battle...

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Derelict-Starvehall-Farm-house-Prestbury/story-24682180-detail/story.html

being just one recent example

Edited by StephenA

Me too. I don't think anyone on here is saying that arson instigated by the owners must be the cause of the fire, just that it's one plausible cause. If the owners stood to gain financially from this fire, it's a possibility that has to be considered by the police.

I rather think Stephen A was saying so.

Of course it is a possibility along with many others.

It is a factor of forums such as this that someone will go for the sensationalist possible cause free from any comeback but without a shred of evidence. One can always claim you didn't mean it or that one was joking.

There are enough seriously malicious psychopaths/vandals in this world that an owner doesn't really have to resort to arson to get their building torched. All it takes is a lack of security and sufficient fuel on a lower floor to get things going.

If an unused building is presented as an open invitation to vandalism by virtue of being unsecured and unguarded, chances are pretty good it will get vandalized, or burned down. An owner can leave a building as an open invitation to vandalism and probably get away with it. The insurance company might be hesitant to pay a claim on the old building, however, if the intent is just to get rid of a historical building the easy way, a fire is the way to go.

the owner was just on the news, his name was dick, so I guess anything is possible

There was an Art Deco pub near to where we live. The brewery wanted rid of it, the locals campained to keep it. On three occasions it caught fire, the third time being terminal. The fire chief said in a report that there were signs of accelerant and the furniture had been piled up in heaps inside the building. No action was ever taken.

The site is now an ASDA supermarket. Around Coventry area over the years there has been quite a few disused pubs catching fire and other buildings put on the site. Insurance claims ? Who knows ?

Been a few dubious fires in Cov hasn't there. Which Art Deco pub have you in mind?

Ian.