Marcus on Ch 4

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

No it's not a boat restoration programme, but the word "restoration" was used several times by the presenter and also by Marcus himself. Still, at least he's got some nice bedding and scatter cushions now!

Don't forget the flag

Regards kris

It was a friend of his, woman whose name I can't remember, who ripped Marcus off in the first place.

Did he really pay £5000 for the boat.

The north South divide is often seen this way but a huge amount of mining (and a great deal of engineering came about this way) went on in the South West for instance and South Wales mining and other industries.

So as I mentioned above example of Southern born engineers would be:

Richard Trevithick

William Dean

George Jackson Churchward

William Stannier

Charles Collett

Frederick Hawksworth

to name a few.

are we living in a world where Rolls Royce wasn't in Bristol and Concorde wasn't built there?

give the northerners their due, southerners can't talk themselves up like they can. Mind, I guess they have to.

Edited by Alenafour

It was a friend of his, woman whose name I can't remember, who ripped Marcus off in the first place.

That's a pretty shitty comment, even for you.

Have a word with yourself Mr.

Bolloox, apology offered, I mis read it as you implying Marcus ripped her off.

Sorry.

Edited by gazza

Don't forget the flag

Regards kris

Did he really pay £5000 for the boat.

Story as I heard it was that Northern Boater and his girlfriend spend a long time talking up the boat until Marcus bought it for far more than it was worth, gypsy style. (£5,000? don't know ) Now he's treating him with the contempt an easy mark deserves (in his world).

That's a pretty shitty comment, even for you.

Have a word with yourself Mr.

Bolloox, apology offered, I mis read it as you implying Marcus ripped her off.

Sorry.

No, brilliant what Marcus has done, raising her from 10' of Thames inside of walking away with only the experience and a big bill. Edited by Alenafour

No, brilliant what Marcus has done, raising her from 10' of Thames inside of walking away with only the experience and a big bill.

Yes, fully agree, I can only blame a lack of sleep and coffee for my failure to read your post correctly.

Again, sorry for the original somewhat caustic reply.

Just watch it on 4oD. The whole programme shows several projects and only shows the boat for about 10 mins in total.

where can i see the full program of the build, can i get it on the laptop if not on telly?

Why work on something yourself when you can buy a packet of flat capped Northerners who work all day for a tanner or a decent meal?

Let em get on with it.

I would say they were more like the young livaboards that continuous cruise around London on dilapidated boats jamming the waterways up living the dream.

Edited by Northernboater

What is meant by buying or selling something "gypsy style"? It's not an expression which I've come across before.

You use clothes pegs?

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Clothes pegs used to be the main item on sale from gypsies)

Haggis

Story as I heard it was that Northern Boater and his girlfriend spend a long time talking up the boat until Marcus bought it for far more than it was worth, gypsy style. (£5,000? don't know ) Now he's treating him with the contempt an easy mark deserves (in his world).

i am sure ti was bought on ebay i will see Lynne today at the boatyard so i will ask her, its simons from the boat next doors birthday party so she will be going

As long as you're not like my other Northern Friend, Nige Carlton of this parish who made me drink L*#ger! wink.png

dont do larger the nearest i get to it is grolsh and thats from years in holland cheers.gif i am a real ale man or stouts or porters

Peter, you must of known the boat prior to Marcus owning it, as their all your friends in Sheffield? Is the boat any better now?

i will watch the program tomorrow on catch up lynne and robin had replaced the stern and deck but it really did need some love and care

Not sure why programme/posts on this thread have emphasised 'crowdresourcing', i.e., asking for volunteer help rather than cash.

A couple of grand apparently raised on https://kriticalmass.com/p/projectladydoris

There were some posts on Facebook and YouTube:

Hello London Boaters!! Despite being a near constant bore (yup, I'm starting to hate myself too!).. only 83 people have actually watched my YouTube video pitch for help & funds for my lovely old WW2 Ship, Lady Doris... People who have seen it have said things like "I'll never get that 3 minutes of my life back", and "owe my eyes hurt, that was truly ghastly"... WATCH IT NOW, I guarantee you'll "enjoy" it, in some way and that you'll find this is time better spent than picking your nose, or starting into space, for example?! XXX

Apologies for this, but I do urgently need your help!

My old WW2 ship, Lady Doris is appearing on a well know TV programme (not allowed to say!!), and I have to get her ready for June 23rd, when they are coming to film the reveal!!

I've launched a crowdfunding campaign for SUPPORTERS, VOLUNTEERS & for CASH, so I can meet this deadline (there are lots of rewards like Lady Doris Deckhand Mugs & T-Shirts, Invites to Summer Parties, and larger Hen/Stag parties & Corporate events all on the unique & historic Lady Doris!

the deadline is getting super tight! Please watch my video on my project page, as it explains it all a bit better.. and Im sorry for taking this liberty to kind of spam you on this forum, but I know you're all lovely though, and I very much hope some of you might find this interesting, and maybe even be able to help - even if it's just by sharing my project with your friends?!

LOVE YOU!

Marcus

xxxxx

So it's pretty clear that his skills lie not in boat restoration, but social media appeals for help and funds. I'd say it was understandable to put those skills to use rather than go about boatbuilding with an axe.

That said, he seems to have got short shrift from hard-nosed Londoners:

I dont normally pipe up like this.. But your a cheeky sod!

so you want to restore it to a modern liveaboard using other peoples money?

Fair play though, looks nice now...in the warm sunshine.

p.s. This seems to refer to a post here:

See CWDF have removed the post as its looking for cash for a private restoration. Have you tried the historic boat register for a grant

I was looking at the Historical ships register record for the boat and it says it may be a Naval Pinnace or RAF Sea Plane tender. I can't see it being the latter myself it seems a bit feeble for that. All the sea plane tenders I have seen pictures of have been quite powerful launches or tugs.

I was looking at the Historical ships register record for the boat and it says it may be a Naval Pinnace or RAF Sea Plane tender. I can't see it being the latter myself it seems a bit feeble for that. All the sea plane tenders I have seen pictures of have been quite powerful launches or tugs.

it was a navel seaplane tender so lynne told me it could have an engine change or two i suppose

it was a navel seaplane tender so lynne told me it could have an engine change or two i suppose

True it may have had bigger engines but it just doesn't have the right look for a tender of that type. Still in war time all sorts of things may have been used, the entry on the register says there is doubt over if it was a Pannace or a RAF Sea Plane Tender.

For example see this gallery page.

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/galleryst.html

They all seem to have engines of 100 or 130BHP or so and in multiples of the same.

This for instance was a Navy Pinnace and has more of the look of Lady Doris.

http://www.yacht-sale.com/pinnace.htm

This one is a steam Pinnace I am including it as I came across it and thought Phwoar! but it's nothing like Lady Doris.

http://www.nmrn-portsmouth.org.uk/exhibits-and-collections/steam-pinnace

Edited by churchward

I have come across other images of seaplane tenders that are more like Marcus's boat. Think more of something ferrying crew out to seaplanes in sheltered waters than search and rescue boats.

Richard

I have come across other images of seaplane tenders that are more like Marcus's boat. Think more of something ferrying crew out to seaplanes in sheltered waters than search and rescue boats.

Richard

Yes I understand that and it could easily be correct that it was an RAF boat but the Historic ship registration detail itself puts this in doubt.

The boats I showed are not Search and rescue craft they are seaplane tenders. I can see all sorts of boats being used to ferry personnel about but I would have thought this makes them more akin to a Pinnace but I could believe either.

And look who's first of the "Lady Doris Deckhands"!

https://kriticalmass.com/p/projectladydoris

Let's have fun, have a few drinks, party, all on your donations. Come on wise up

I thought restoration would be restoring the vessel to it original state, sourcing original parts and would be a long devoted project for an enthusiast. Not getting everyone else to fix my new party/living pad using other people's money donations.

Then again you can all keep donating to fund his life afloat. Mugs(and T Shirts will be available to buy)

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 1

Let's have fun, have a few drinks, party, all on your donations. Come on wise up

I thought restoration would be restoring the vessel to it original state, sourcing original parts and would be a long devoted project for an enthusiast. Not getting everyone else to fix my new party/living pad using other people's money donations.

Then again you can all keep donating to fund his life afloat. Mugs(and T Shirts will be available to buy)

It's not your boat. End of, Marcus can and has done what ever he wants with it. You are obsessive and are in danger of slander.

• Greenie 1

'Mate', leave Marcus alone and stop slating his boat and him personally, Marcus is obviously a decent bloke and a very likeable character, so what if his boat does not win the boat restoration of the year award.

I give Marcus the ' Chap of the year Gold Award '

1 Because he had a bash at saving an old boat.

2 He brought a mix of young and older people together to doo somat up and enjoy em selves.