Marcus on Ch 4

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

And that erks you because?

Because he has a fantasy of Fairstar as a beautiful old boat maintained lovingly by a little old lady, which Marcus has destroyed. It's a view that is easy to hold if you have never been on Fairstar.

My foot went through the steps outside the wheelhouse on my first visit - those steps have now been replaced by Marcus

Richard

Because he has a fantasy of Fairstar as a beautiful old boat maintained lovingly by a little old lady, which Marcus has destroyed. It's a view that is easy to hold if you have never been on Fairstar.

My foot went through the steps outside the wheelhouse on my first visit - those steps have now been replaced by Marcus

Richard

I'd forgotten you had a hand in helping Marcus.

Based on your above comments can we assume Northern Boaters contributions to this thread will be white noise, much like the last one? :)

That's very true. Marcus is a 'people' person and what he's very good at inspiring peeps, communicating a vision and mobilising help.

As he demonstrates, this can get things done just as much as being able to cut a mortice and tenon joint.

And there are people who can do all that, get stuck in with the workers and get their hands dirty, so I wouldn't put him on a pedestal and I didn't see anything inspiring about him. Maybe a dreamer yes. Defiantly not inspirational

Richard

No I don't think that, What happened to the engine did you fix it for him?

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 2

Let's turn this into a positive

We are looking for two things:

• A CAV BPE6 fuel pump with pneumatic control. If it has a low pressure pump, that would be a bonus, but not essential, and a tacho drive would be a nice to have. Alternatively a camshaft, followers and rack components for same

• The setting data for a BPE6 pump for a Perkins S6M. Serial number is BPE6B9OU320S681 - this will identify the data needed if anyone can find a CAV databook

The pump is at a reconditioners, it needs a camshaft, followers and the rack components, which the reconditioners do not have. Nor do they have the data to set this pump up. One of my sources has just had a hip operation so is out of action, and another has recently passed away.

Can anyone help? This is the last component needed to get the engine running

Richard

• Greenie 1

Rachel is the girlfriend of Marcus in programme who vanished into the sunset after getting a closer look at the interior of Fairstar (re-named Lady Doris by Marcus).

Ah. Makes sense now.

I must admit to not having watched the programme on TV because I knew I would be disappointed by the result.

Rachel is the girlfriend of Marcus in programme who vanished into the sunset after getting a closer look at the interior of Fairstar (re-named Lady Doris by Marcus).

I would say she walked away due to the lack of progress that Marcus had achieved, he was more interested in polishing the ships wheel and the flag then getting stuck in with the work that mattered.

• A CAV BPE6 fuel pump with pneumatic control. If it has a low pressure pump, that would be a bonus, but not essential, and a tacho drive would be a nice to have. Alternatively a camshaft, followers and rack components for same

• The setting data for a BPE6 pump for a Perkins S6M. Serial number is BPE6B9OU320S681 - this will identify the data needed if anyone can find a CAV databook

The pump is at a reconditioners, it needs a camshaft, followers and the rack components, which the reconditioners do not have. Nor do they have the data to set this pump up. One of my sources has just had a hip operation so is out of action, and another has recently passed away.

Richard

Good luck

Richard,

May be a long shot but you could give Vic at Diesel Care Services a shout on 01933 278988 - they are based in Wellingborough.

He has a wealth of experience and is our local go to man for hard to source old pump parts/refurbishment.

Nearly all the old stuff other local diesel firms get hold of are sent to him, kids out of college are not taught about old tat! He did say to me you blokes with old crap will be stuffed when I pack it in :)

Richard,

May be a long shot but you could give Vic at Diesel Care Services a shout on 01933 278988 - they are based in Wellingborough.

He has a wealth of experience and is our local go to man for hard to source old pump parts/refurbishment.

Nearly all the old stuff other local diesel firms get hold of are sent to him, kids out of college are not taught about old tat! He did say to me you blokes with old crap will be stuffed when I pack it in smile.png

Nice one, I'll get Sue to ring him

We do have the possibility of a correct pump, I'm reluctant to take it though as it is on a running engine. It seems wrong to disable one old engine to make another work. It might be the only option

Richard

You may have suggested it already but how about Marcus scouring boat jumbles? - Not a guaranteed speedy solution but there's the Solent one this Sunday, Kent on the 11th Oct, Havant on 1st Nov, then a winter break, then Newark on 8th Feb, Norwich on 3rd April, and probably the biggest one is Beaulieu on 24th April?

Sad mare that I am I quite like rummaging around jumbles - the key thing is to take along a list make, model, serial number etc of all the bits and pieces that you're looking for (better still have photos on your phone). Can also pick up very good deals on general items too (with the usual caveat to be suspicious of anything that seems far too good to be true).

LCx

Ah. Makes sense now.

I must admit to not having watched the programme on TV because I knew I would be disappointed by the result.

Yes you'll be disappointed, mainly in the lack of work he did, but then again it may make you laugh being from the North. A guy working in the city with no family commitments and a load of young volunteers to helplaugh.png

Edited by Northernboater

Anyone else wondering if northern boaters first name is Rachel?

Having just seen the programme (using Virgin Media catch-up) I can answer no, because:

(1) he was writing the same sort of nasty nonsense a year ago, while Rachel was around and happily working on the project, and:

(2) Although the programme showed that Rachel became dissatisfied with the way Marcus was doing the restoration, because she joined to do a quality job on the woodwork and Marcus didn't get the loan he needed for that, I don't think she was likely to bear a grudge over it; neither she nor Marcus strike me as the sort of people who set out to antagonise others.

When I met Marcus a year ago, I was impressed by his calm determination to find a way to salvage and restore his boat at what must have been a very difficult time, with it sunk in the river due to an unknown cause. It would have been very easy to get depressed about it. Yes, he's a bit of a dreamer and I get the impression that maybe when he bought the boat he didn't properly understand how much time, knowledge and money it takes to keep a wooden hull in good order, but so what? I don't accept the argument that only experts should buy old boats; if there were some regulations imposed to try to enforce that it would probably result in more old boats rotting away to nothing.

It isn't just the hands-on technical skills that are needed to see through a boat restoration, or almost any project in life. Marcus must have put a lot of time into planning and managing the work, not least organising all the people he found through crowd-sourcing so that their time could be used effectively. Managing work done by an ever-changing cast of volunteer strangers wouldn't be straightforward.

I don't think he took advantage of the volunteers, however much commercial use he may or may not make of the boat in the future. They turned up knowing the deal, that in return for a day's labour they would get a day trip on the boat when finished, and I'd be surprised if any of them feel cheated. This strikes me as a good model for other people who want to buy and restore an old boat on a low budget to follow, provided that they are honest about it as Marcus appears to have been. I wouldn't rule out doing it myself one day, but trying to cut out the sinking and raising stage! Marcus will be kept quite busy organising all those trips now.

• Greenie 1

Ah. Makes sense now.

It's a fair point to make that the end result was not as authentic to the original as it could have been, I was expecting to see more nice shiny woodwork on show for example, but the important thing to me was that the boat is in working order and has its original lines.

As George Clarke said, solar panels are not very 1939, but they're very practical.

If Marcus had not bought the boat, would someone else have bought it and then gone on to restore it to a higher standard, or would it have stood unsold for years until it slowly rotted away to nothing because no-one saw it as financially viable? We'll never know, but I think the latter is quite possible.

Richard

Probably not much use but there's this on Abe Books ... http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?kn=CAV+fuel+pump+settings&sts=t

LCx

Nice one, I'll get Sue to ring him

We do have the possibility of a correct pump, I'm reluctant to take it though as it is on a running engine. It seems wrong to disable one old engine to make another work. It might be the only option

Richard

Also worth a try Richard, ''Wade Diesel'' Hoddesdon Herts. 01992 444020. Everyone uses them for miles around.

Having just seen the programme (using Virgin Media catch-up) I can answer no, because:

(1) he was writing the same sort of nasty nonsense a year ago, while Rachel was around and happily working on the project, and:

(2) Although the programme showed that Rachel became dissatisfied with the way Marcus was doing the restoration, because she joined to do a quality job on the woodwork and Marcus didn't get the loan he needed for that, I don't think she was likely to bear a grudge over it; neither she nor Marcus strike me as the sort of people who set out to antagonise others.

When I met Marcus a year ago, I was impressed by his calm determination to find a way to salvage and restore his boat at what must have been a very difficult time, with it sunk in the river due to an unknown cause. It would have been very easy to get depressed about it. Yes, he's a bit of a dreamer and I get the impression that maybe when he bought the boat he didn't properly understand how much time, knowledge and money it takes to keep a wooden hull in good order, but so what? I don't accept the argument that only experts should buy old boats; if there were some regulations imposed to try to enforce that it would probably result in more old boats rotting away to nothing.

It isn't just the hands-on technical skills that are needed to see through a boat restoration, or almost any project in life. Marcus must have put a lot of time into planning and managing the work, not least organising all the people he found through crowd-sourcing so that their time could be used effectively. Managing work done by an ever-changing cast of volunteer strangers wouldn't be straightforward.

I don't think he took advantage of the volunteers, however much commercial use he may or may not make of the boat in the future. They turned up knowing the deal, that in return for a day's labour they would get a day trip on the boat when finished, and I'd be surprised if any of them feel cheated. This strikes me as a good model for other people who want to buy and restore an old boat on a low budget to follow, provided that they are honest about it as Marcus appears to have been. I wouldn't rule out doing it myself one day, but trying to cut out the sinking and raising stage! Marcus will be kept quite busy organising all those trips now.

I'll let the sensible non dreamers make their own opinion of the programme, to me he came over as a dreamer who did very little and if it wasn't for the young volunteers nothing would of got done.

How would they get a free day trip on a boat that has no engine and doesn't look like having one soon?

I would say Rachael was disillusioned with the amount of work he had achieved in the time he was given.

Do you own a boat or are you another city dreamer?