Towpath Teams what do boaters think?

Ajna

Featured Posts

CRT in their wisdom seem to be encouraging local people to adopt their local canal path.

Having recently been out and about just past Portland Basin I did a left turn the towpath is lovely and provides wonderful biking and walking facilities including wait for it duh duh duhhh led solar powered lights neatly set into the tow path so those lovely cyclist and dog walkers doo doo tippers don't fall into the canal ,how all very lovely and civalised!!!!

Without resorting to very choice language where am I supposed to put my pins in as the morons have concreted right to the edge of the bank stone so if a boater breaks down or needs to moor they can't!!!

Forgive me if I'm talking nonsense but are canals not in existence for the purpose of canal boats too or have we been forgotten?

Oh whoopee do, another CRT bashing thread.

Well there does seem to be a disregard for boaters needs at times or a lack of common sense. I don't think we should congratulate CRT for this kind of irrational upgrade but had rings been set into the concrete maybe we would. If boats tied up to those lovely solar lights I think we boaters would take a bashing from some quarters. And of course it's only by highlighting such issues will those in charge realise the flaws in the plan.

Well there does seem to be a disregard for boaters needs at times or a lack of common sense. I don't think we should congratulate CRT for this kind of irrational upgrade but had rings been set into the concrete maybe we would. If boats tied up to those lovely solar lights I think we boaters would take a bashing from some quarters. And of course it's only by highlighting such issues will those in charge realise the flaws in the plan.

I certainly do not think CRT as business is perfect, no business is!!! It is hardly constructive however to get CRT to listen with comments like this "Without resorting to very choice language where am I supposed to put my pins in as the morons have concreted right to the edge." along with remarks such as "including wait for it duh duh duhhh"

If I were running a business and a customer came in with a genuine complaint and called me a "moron" I would not be overly sympathetic to that complaint. Why should CRT staff be any different?

​Surely constructive criticism is the preferable way forward along with sensible suggestions for improvement?

Moron:

1. NOUN
    1. a person who is slow at learning; a stupid person.
      synonyms: fool · idiot · stupid person · simpleton · halfwit · ignoramus · oaf
    2. "we can't let these thoughtless morons get away with mindless vandalism every weekend"
    ORIGIN
    early 20th cent. (as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12): from Greek mōron, neuter of mōros ‘foolish’.
    RELATED FORMS
    moron (noun) morons (plural noun)
    Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · © Oxford University Press
Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

This is surely a fairly unusual "adoption", if it goes as far as the "adopters" actually laying large amounts of concrete.

Most adoptions more typically seem to involve tidying, painting, gardening and general sprucing up, (which I guess most of us would applaud).

Just how much concrete has been laid in this initiative, an has this really all been done by people just supporting the adoption? Sounds highly unusual to me.

I certainly do not think CRT as business is perfect, no business is!!! It is hardly constructive however to get CRT to listen with comments like this "Without resorting to very choice language where am I supposed to put my pins in as the morons have concreted right to the edge." along with remarks such as "including wait for it duh duh duhhh"

If I were running a business and a customer came in with a genuine complaint and called me a "moron" I would not be overly sympathetic to that complaint. Why should CRT staff be any different?

​Surely constructive criticism is the preferable way forward along with sensible suggestions for improvement?

Moron:

1. NOUN
    2. "we can't let these thoughtless morons get away with mindless vandalism every weekend"
    ORIGIN
    early 20th cent. (as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12): from Greek mōron, neuter of mōros ‘foolish’.
    RELATED FORMS
    Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · © Oxford University Press

You make a very good point but why do you think I need the English lesson or was that intended for the OP

This is surely a fairly unusual "adoption", if it goes as far as the "adopters" actually laying large amounts of concrete.

Most adoptions more typically seem to involve tidying, painting, gardening and general sprucing up, (which I guess most of us would applaud).

Just how much concrete has been laid in this initiative, an has this really all been done by people just supporting the adoption? Sounds highly unusual to me.

Sounds like complete Balaerics to me, I doubt the local adoption re-surfaced it in concrete. OP is muddled.

Hilti gun is far better.

One shot and 8mm threaded bolt inserted into stone or concrete, onto that screw a ring and you have your mooring point. When finished remove ring and leave threaded bolt for next boat wink.png

Can you get cheap and cheerful cordless Hilti guns now then? (Like you can SDS drills.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

i admit this is my first narrow boat, and i intend to cause no offence to anyone at all, but i have chose this lifestyle of continuous cruising because, not only the sense of freedom but my interest in the waterways and the history behind them, however, after reading the forum for a bit it seems everyone just slags the crt off, i think maybe they should try and focus on some positives, you all must have short memmories because i have spent most of my childhood in the 1980s birdwatching and fishing on the towpaths and i can clearly remember the shithole they used to be, now i dont pretend to know the ins and outs of whos done the good work, but, someone has cleaned them up for the better i can assure you, lets try to focus on some good points!

• Greenie 3

Moron:

1. NOUN
    ORIGIN
    RELATED FORMS