Views on a cross-bed with liveaboard situation

zigspider

Featured Posts

We are still looking for a boat, and working on what we want and don't want in a boat.

Every time I see a boat with a cross-bed, my DH says it would be too much hassle.. in his view you have to dissmantle the bed everyday to free up the walkway through the boat.

So my question is.. is there anyone on here that lives aboard and has a cross-bed, and how do you cope with it.

We changed our bed from a length way one to a cross bed so that we could get the boys cot in next to us. Getting to him if it's my turn is a bit of a faff but it's amazing how quickly we got used to it. We are at the bow end mind. Also, keep an eye on your trim, it doesn't take much to drain the blood from your feet.

We don't live aboard but we do have a crossways bed. It is an excellent space saver as it occupies only 4'6" of the boat's length. It is comfortable but if we were taller (I am the taller of us two at 5'10") then it might be less so.

I live aboard with one, it's no trouble at all really, it's quick and easy to fold out of the way. I don't have to dismantle it just fold it over. I'm about the same height as Athy and agree that it might be uncomfortable for anyone taller.

I have both options on my boat and I much prefer sleeping in the cross bed option. I sleep much better when the rocking motion is head to foot (like you would rock a baby) rather than side to side as it generally is on a narrowboat. Being rocked head to toe is just so soothing compared to being rolled over in your sleep.

Cross beds are in the minority so expect the usual "I've not got that so it's bad" replies, I have the option I so I vote with my head, which is across the boat, much better nights sleep but not one experienced by many I guess (so they'll have to hate it).

K

I should add to my last night's post: our mattress is quite thick (eight inches) so when the bed's made up there is only about 4" between the bedding and the underside of the gunwale; if it was a thinner one, a taller person than me could comfortably get his feet under the gunwale.

Only second hand knowledge I'm afraid as our bed is conventional but I would guess the design of a cross bed would be crucial to the faff factor,good design = no faff, bad design = faff.

When you look at boats with a cross bed just do the try it out test, then you'll know for sure.

Phil

I'm 6ft and although I more or less got used to the make-up cross bed on our old boat, it did feel pretty cramped (and that was with a lowish mattress that left room for pillows and feet under the gunwales). Even if was only 5'10" I think I'd have been very aware of the restricted legroom. Mind you, that bed was only 120cm wide; maybe a wider one would have felt different.

I wonder if your husband is picturing something more like the style of bed we hand on our 24-footer, where every night you have to put down boards to form a bed base, arrange the cushions into a mattress, and put your bedding on. As I understand it, cross beds in dedicated bedrooms are nothing like that and just fold out of the way with the bedding still on.

Non liveaboard (but do a couple or three months at a time)

6 foot tall

Cross bed ( 5 foot wide - king size ?)

Thick mattress.

No problems

I find that I tend to sleep in the 'recovery position' (ie on my side with legs bent a little at the knees) so the fact it is 6 foot head to toe is not a problem, I can 'stretch-straight' and push my feet against the wall, but in reality it rarely happens. If it does I (we) just lie at a slight angle.

(Sleep better on the boat than at home with a very expensive orthopaedic mattress.)

SWMBO sleeps in a similar position so we 'spoon' together quite well.

I wonder how many people actually sleep 'ram-rod' straight ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Depends what they're dreaming about, I suppose.

But seriously, your comments concur with my experience - in particular, that I always seem to sleep for longer on the boat than at home, though that could be the fresh air and exercise and beer .

Top tip, make up the bed before you go out for the evening if you can .

Er, why would you unmake it in the first place?

I'm lying in my cross bed now writing this.

My toes are on the radiator, lovely.

I built it so the bottom of the mattress flips over, and the bottom of the bed raises vertically to look like a solid bed footer.

We flip it up only about 50% of the time, only really if there's a need to get past it.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

My boat has a cross bed, (along with other things that I said I would never have :) ).

The base slide out when in use, and the memory foam mattress is in 2 parts. Takes less than a minute to put up. The mattress is about 9" thick.

Both my wife and I are 5' 10". Initially I found I was bumping my head and feet against the sides of the boat, but after a couple of nights I automatically adjusted, and now sleep on my side with legs slightly bent.

If the mattress was thinner, it would relase about another 4" of length and then my head and feet would easily fit under the gunwales.

I find that I tend to sleep in the 'recovery position' (ie on my side with legs bent a little at the knees) so the fact it is 6 foot head to toe is not a problem, I can 'stretch-straight' and push my feet against the wall, but in reality it rarely happens. If it does I (we) just lie at a slight angle.

(Sleep better on the boat than at home with a very expensive orthopaedic mattress.)

SWMBO sleeps in a similar position so we 'spoon' together quite well.

Like you, I didn't have much trouble finding a comfortable position in which to get to sleep - as you say, you just bend your knees. My problem was that my 'autopilot' didn't work while I was asleep. I'd keep waking up feeling that I'd spent too long in one position, and have to consciously turn over and get comfortable again. I assume that's because my poor sleeping brain couldn't figure out how to adjust my position/turn me over in such a small space.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I think even I was thinking there was a lot more faff, but your comments have me being positive about them again. My DH is 6', but neither of us sleep ramrod straight.. and we have been sleepeing on a futon mattress for 15 years, and that definitely would free up some space for sure.

I think that is good advice of trying a bed out.. try before you buy .. to see how much faff it is, rather than not even looking at a boat at all.

Re the comment on why you would dismantle the bed at all... In my head I always thought you needed to have a way through the boat to get from Stern to the pointy end :-)

Sorry for the delay, different time zone, so early here.

I'm 6' and find our 5' wide cross bed very comfy.

As it's in the bow, we only need to put it away if we have guests onboard and we want to regularly use the bow cockpit while cruising.

I love the idea of the 5' wide, Our current bed is a Japanese Platform Bed.. and for me the idea of sleeping in a 4'6" wide bed again was just not going to work..

Appreciate all this good feedback.

Re the comment on why you would dismantle the bed at all... In my head I always thought you needed to have a way through the boat to get from Stern to the pointy end :-)

Yes, we swarm over the bed. The bedding is normally covered by a thick waterproof plastic sheet when we're under way, we shuffle across on our knees, so the bed does not get disturbed or dirty. It's become so much a habit that we no longer think about it - I can even shuffle across using only one hand for support, carrying Mrs. Athy's mug of Tea For The Tillergirl in the other.

It's really no problem.

Edited by Athy

We are liveaboards and have a 4'6" wide crossbed which is situated just forward of the engine room so the swim is just starting to have an effect on overall interior width of the boat.

I am 6' tall and I am just on the comfort limit for sleeping on the shortest side of the bed as my (shorter) wife has secured the other (longer) side because otherwise she would struggle to climb over me to get out in the night! laugh.png

However, unless we are cruising, we leave the bed fully out as we don't need to get into the engine room or through to the stern very often.

Tony

If I slept fully stretched out I would think the Co-op would be knocking at the door very soon.

We have a 4ft cross bed. I'm 5ft 8 & Mrs Sonic is 5ft 4 (nearly) & Dog 2ft 1. Not a problem for me or Dog, but.........

She would like it 5ft wide, with a teas made, TV, balcony, maid quarters...........

I love our boat!