So where are these?

zenataomm

Featured Posts

The telegraph pole could be anywhere on the River Witham - the river being so far below the raised banks all you can see for mile after mile after mile is the top 6 feet of telegraph poles, one gets quite good at recognising them - I think that one is 'George Henry' who is placed about 100 yards on one side from 'George William' and the other side being 'William Henry' - being in Lincolnshire they are all closely related.

The second one - Coventry canal?

Richard

I agree, its near Springhaven Marina.

I think I have seen that tree (or one like it) on the Llangollen.

Edited to remove a letter v which was pretending to be a space.

Edited by cuthound

The second one - Coventry canal?

Richard

I agree, its near Springhaven Marina.

I think I have seen that tree (or one like it) on the Llangollen.

Edited to remove a letter v which was pretending to be a space.

Sure enough and well done you two.

It is The Coventry just short of Springhaven.

I don't know if they put preservation orders on such things, for it will be a personally sad day should I pass that way and it's gone.

I don't know if they put preservation orders on such things, for it will be a personally sad day should I pass that way and it's gone.

If you mean putting a tree preservation order on the dead tree, I did a bit of surfing and the impression I get is no, a TPO would not be granted for any tree that's definitely dead, and where a tree with an existing TPO dies, the landowner may remove it after giving notice and a brief wait (Of course the landowner would have committed an offence if he'd done anything to kill a tree with a TPO). So if you're fond of a dead tree, and I suppose it has a certain stark beauty, all you can do is hope the landowner feels the same way.

Yes, it will be a sad day.

When I first started boating, there was a GCR semaphore railway, complete with dropped semaphore arm, clearly visible on the North Oxford between Braunston and Barby. Today only the "pole" is visible.

I don't think things like that or the old trunk telephone pole are subject to preservation orders, and no one seems to maintain them.

Will be a shame when they have all rotted away.

the dead tree wont get a preservation order, but its possible for the telegraph pole to become listed if someone wants to apply for it.

There is currently only one example of a listed telegraph pole in the UK, no doubt many of you will be familiar with it...