Own up, who has their fire lit?

Rufford

Featured Posts

Hmm. Our thermostat is set at 21 for 'er indoors and stays there all year round with the heating on a timer. I see no difference between the discomfort of a chilly night in February and one in August.

Easy. It's like the difference between white sheep and black sheep - there are more of them (and, unlike the ovines, the February ones last much longer).

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Parky?

Not Paky!

I'm not sure. There's a group of homophones here: words meaning "park keeper or attendant", "retired broadcaster and professional Yorkshireman", "person of Pakistani nationality or descent" (sometimes used pejoratively) and "chilly" all sound the same. The first I would spell "parkie", the second "Parky", the third "Paki" and the fourth - well, I don't recall ever having written it before, but I would have guessed "paky". But I'll settle for "parky" instead. Or maybe, to avoid such mental exertion, "chilly".

Edited by Athy

Not had the heating or fire on, on the boat since about April. I can't bloody wait to put it on, but our little boat seems very well insulated, was a bit chilly last night, so maybe we'll get an opportunity this weekend. Once the fire is on, hermit mode will commence and my friend's won't see much of me until Spring.. best dig my onesie out too...

If you keep baking those cakes you won't need the fire, the oven will keep you warm.

Mind you , you may get loads of visitors :)

Rog

Athy
I've seen it spelled without the "r" before and with a double "a" in different parts of the North in old texts and I believe in the lyrics of an old folk song

Which was somewhat embarrassing as I'd been insisting the local kids (I was a teacher) spelled it with an "r"
It's amazing what you learn as a young person if you listen to someone's grandad

That's not necessarily a bad thing! I love to bake, but eating all my bakes makes my early morning running efforts wasted!

. Makes you run faster knowing there is a big lump of homemade cake waiting at home surely, I am without chickens at the moment, the first time in about twenty years and really miss the fresh cakes my wife used to bake for us, to use up any egg surplus we had, also fresh eggs make the most yellow sponge ever, need to crack on with my new fox proof chicken run now, you've made me think of cake again

Athy

I've seen it spelled without the "r" before and with a double "a" in different parts of the North in old texts and I believe in the lyrics of an old folk song

Which was somewhat embarrassing as I'd been insisting the local kids (I was a teacher) spelled it with an "r"

So was I, and a language teacher too! It proves that there is always something new to learn.

Cake is the only reason I run.

Oh and beer

and chips

oh and chocolate, loads of chocolate

and....

forget it smile.png

Rog

and pizza..... blush.png good job i enjoy running too...keep having to increase the mileage to counter the effects of the above!

Running on a hangover is quite possibly the worst thing ever though. I think once I managed to sweat out pure Fosters.

Running on a hangover is quite possibly the worst thing ever though. I think once I managed to sweat out pure Fosters.

Best thing to do with the *%£"&+ stuff.

An acquaintance of mine, who had gone to a rather upmarket university, once told me that as an undergraduate he used to sweat port.

and pizza..... blush.png good job i enjoy running too...keep having to increase the mileage to counter the effects of the above!

I will trade you cycling with a hangover.

Must admit I just lit mine again rolleyes.gif not that cold really but I am not very macho

Our house was lovely and warm last night when we got back from picking some car parts up from Ripley after work.

A toasty warm 20 degrees. Just right after spending a couple of hours foraging in a cold warehouse for Sierra spares.

How would theft be involved? Only, I would suggest, if you remove this wood from CART's property. By storing it or burning it on your boat whilst the boat is on a CART waterway, you are not doing this. Compare the situation with someone slipping, say, a bar of chocolate into their pocket in a Tesco supermarket: they have not committed theft until they leave the premises without paying for it.

The smoke going up the chimney is a bit like 'leaving the premises' n'est ce pas?

Edited by Emerald Fox

I have found an unusual way to light my fire, I know someone who works in a snacks wharehouse, and he brings round bin bags full of out of date crisps. The ones I don't like I use as fire lighters, the amount of oil in them lights the fire every time. Cheese puffs are particually good !