Boat at Whilton

bramley

Featured Posts

I agree with Tony. Caveat Emptor applies here. The extent of Wilton's selling* is to line up the boats and say 'here are our wares for you to inspect and buy if you wish".

I'd say your beef is with the surveyor if anyone, but as Tony says, did you instruct him to assess the boat for suitablility for you use or just a report on it's condition?

MtB

*The profession of 'selling' is gathering info from the prospective customer to establish their needs, then suggesting products/services from your range and explaining how they can meet those needs. Nothing to do with deceiving people. If he doesn't have suitable products, the professional salesman will say so and perhaps refer the prospect to a competitor who may. Helping the customer get what they want is the goal.

However despite re listing it for sale they are yet to call about the boat to say they fixed the problem which I would imagine if our surveyor (on the list they supply) passed the boat / engine, my parents would of gone ahead.

Either they did not do anything and are waiting for the next victim, or I don't know.

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but has it been decided that Whilton Marina themselves are the owner of this boat? If not, and it belongs to a 3rd party who are selling through the brokerage, then it's nothing to do with Whilton whether the oners get the problem fixed before instructing them to re-list it for sale.

Without this thread, I'd have said my experience was good, without the skepticism generated here, I'd not have noticed. In some things, they've been excellent: we ran the batteries down, with too few engine running hours, but the batteries are being charged right now with their charger and their power. It's only with extra insight I notice they sold us the boat with an inadequate alternator for our purposes, and that the surveyor didn't notice.

Roger

I hope they sold you a boat with a big enough P.O. tank or big enough cassette.

Peter.

That's one way of looking at it, Peter. If it was my company and I saw the negative comments (which by no means all of them are) I would take steps to ensure that future customers had no reason to make such criticisms.

Whilst I abhor conmen,sharp practices and bullies, I really fear for Dan and this forum if the company that is being dragged through the mud( Rightly or Wrongly) on this thread, should read it and take legal action.

Hi,

There is no such thing as 'bad publicity' the dear old general Public have short memories - note the annual posts on here, fire problems, leaves, batteries etc.

Whilton have been around a long time - so have the general public and both are still in existence.

Reminds me of Camden Motors in Leighton Buzzard in the late 60's - if you needed a new bit for your car (gear knobs were a speciality), wander along to Camden motors ( I really wanted a MK3 Spitfire from them and all the prevailing publicity did not put me off - somebody else got it first).

Whilton may upset people but there are a lot of satisfied customers - my mooring neighbour amongst them - he bought and part exchange through them and had a reasonable deal (to him).

Prospective purchasers go into a 'blind daze' when they want something - be it a boat.house or car (me and that red Spitfire) or ....partner and there is no protecting them, give it a few months and the same old problem will crop up..

L

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but has it been decided that Whilton Marina themselves are the owner of this boat? If not, and it belongs to a 3rd party who are selling through the brokerage, then it's nothing to do with Whilton whether the oners get the problem fixed before instructing them to re-list it for sale.

Yes, according to the Bill of Sale the boat was owned by Whilton Marina.

I dont think Dan has anything to worry about people are free to share their experiences and if they make false statements it is them who are liable (if proven)not Dan.

I think Dan only has to be concerned if people start making unsubstantiated defamatory statements. It seems to me that so far people are just relating their experiences.

The trouble, I think, is that if an offer is accepted and a deposit is placed on a boat it is hard when that boat fails the survey and is clearly not worth the advertised price. The broker will nine times out of ten get flack and justifiably so.......if they were responsible for setting the price. Apart from that the broker is only selling on behalf of the customer and has been said "buyer beware".

Surveyors don't help with their flowery English, such as - hull is in good condition for its age. Now what the hell does that mean? Does it mean most boats of that age have sunk by now but this one will last a bit longer!

I think Dan only has to be concerned if people start making unsubstantiated defamatory statements. It seems to me that so far people are just relating their experiences.

But if someone objects to what is written about them here, their first port of call will not be legal action for defamation, they will report the matter to the site's ISP and get the site taken down. It WILL then be Dan's problem to get the matter sorted out and the site (probably without the offending content) back up again.

If you doubt it, search for the thread a few months ago where Jim Shead's boat listing site was taken done because of a complaint by a boat owner who didn't want his boat details listed, even though the information was not personal and was in the public domain as a result of an FOI request.

If you doubt it, search for the thread a few months ago where Jim Shead's boat listing site was taken done because of a complaint by a boat owner who didn't want his boat details listed, even though the information was not personal and was in the public domain as a result of an FOI request.

Except that the ISP eventually accepted they took Jim's down incorrectly, and if you check you'll see Jim's site is back up again complete with the all the data originally objected to.

As I understand it plagiarism will result in a site being taken down but not users recounting their personal experiences.

MtB

(Edit for stupid spelling mistake.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I agree with Tony. Caveat Emptor applies here. The extent of Wilton's selling* is to line up the boats and say 'here are our wares for you to inspect and buy if you wish".

MtB

Mike's hit the nail on the head here, here's some boats this is what the owner wants for it, buy it if you like. When you're buying a house, second hand car you can't expect the seller's agent to point out all the faults can you? I looked at some boats at Wilton and liked their laid back attitude of "the boat's over there, have a look and come talk if you're interested" much better than being shadowed every second by some pushy salesman. I've just looked at the boats for sale on their website today and there are some daft prices but they'll probably having to put it up for the price the owner wants not the price they may think it's worth.

Have a look at this one, they've just sold a 50 year old 28 foot Springer priced at £13,950ohmy.png I'll put my boat for sale with themsmile.png

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2758.aspx

Except that the ISP eventually accepted they took Jim's down incorrectly, and if you check you'll see Jim's site is back up again complete with the all the data originally objected to.

As I understand it plagiarism will result in a site being taken down but not users recounting their personal experiences.

MtB

(Edit for stupid spelling mistake.)

This is correct. If they took down all sites that host bad reviews the internet would cease to function.

So, what is a reasonable price for say a late 80s Colcraft with a professional fit out with a solid hull or with a recently over-plated hull? One with all appropriate surveys and surveyor sign-offs for work done.

If you are asking people to pluck a price out of thin air, I'd say £23k.

I looked at two 1988 Colecraft boats when I was looking for a boat. Both were almost identical. 47ft, trad stern, nice fit out, reasonable paint jobs and iirc both advertised at about £27995. If I'd wanted to buy I would have expected to get them down by about £5k on the asking price.

There are so many variables though that can affect price it is impossible to give a 'what would you expect to pay' price without seeing a specific boat and seeing survey results.

Only after it had been down for a couple of weeks, and after Jim got solicitors on them.

getting your site taken down for defamation, even if you get it back up isn't a good way to go.

MtB

Plagiarism????? Most of the blogs in existence would disappear! And certainly NBW couldn't continue.

Mmmmmm...... Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on your part? laugh.png